View Full Version : dash disappointments

andybar
12-17-2006, 06:35 PM
Didn't realize WM5 phones (delete smart) were so hard to use. Apple will have a field day. Having to use multiple layers of menus just to control simple functions that should be button-controllable is so lame, sorta like the very first digicams.

Just got a dash. Last summer I used a treo 650 on verizon. while it had a pretty crappy browser it was infinitely easier to control & configure as a mobile comm device & phone.

Anyway before I sell this thing in frustration a question:
I downloaded the gmail app to the phone and was able to use it. Now, I'd like to use it again but am unable to find it (the app). Why is this such a mystery like everything else on this phone.

any help will be appreciated. Maybe time to look for an e61, or more like: please sell me your e61!

Kris Kumar
12-18-2006, 04:37 AM
Regarding the Gmail application: it is a Java based application, so you will have to launch the Java client on the Smartphone. This is pretty much the deal with all Java based applications, sadly Google does not make standard Windows Mobile apps yet.

To find it, go to Start menu->Applications->Java or is it Start menu-> scroll thru to find Java.

andybar
12-18-2006, 03:17 PM
Regarding the Gmail application: it is a Java based application, so you will have to launch the Java client on the Smartphone. This is pretty much the deal with all Java based applications, sadly Google does not make standard Windows Mobile apps yet.

To find it, go to Start menu->Applications->Java or is it Start menu-> scroll thru to find Java.

thanks Kris, I did find it.

Do you have a Dash? What browser do you suggest? From what I've seen in the forums PIE is pretty bad.

Also, is this the only WM5 phone that doesn't have a screen brightness control? Is there a way to add that capability? In a dim or darkened room it can be distracting - embarrassingly bright.

The documentation is incomplete - nowhere indicated was the control to switch from vibrate mode to ring mode (it's the # key). Turning the phone on recently there were no startup sounds and the only clue was the vibrate icon. Many phones allow both, a very useful feature in noisy environments.

I haven't given up on the dash yet. However, WM5 does seem to lack controls and options most other phones have like brightness control and vibrate&ring. Dedicated keys & controls are very useful on mobile devices as opposed to a complex & tedious menu-driven UI. Are there mods available to solve some of the deficiencies in the OS?

For instance, launching the gmail app on the fairly pedestrian razr v3 requires simply pressing 2 keys and sometimes a press to ok using data. It's very quick. Same with yahoo. Can that launch ease be accomplished with WM5?

Andy

Kris Kumar
12-18-2006, 11:28 PM
Do you have a Dash?

Yes. :-)

What browser do you suggest? From what I've seen in the forums PIE is pretty bad.

I love pIE. I never liked the ones on BlackBerry or Palm. And Opera is pricey or always in Beta.

Overall all mobile browsers have some shortcomings, but pIE to me always seemed to be ahead of the rest.

Also, is this the only WM5 phone that doesn't have a screen brightness control? Is there a way to add that capability? In a dim or darkened room it can be distracting - embarrassingly bright.

I wish there was some way to control it. The manufacturer hasn't provided the control for it and I don't think we can add that feature. I have not come across any hacks/tweaks.

The documentation is incomplete - nowhere indicated was the control to switch from vibrate mode to ring mode (it's the # key).

The Windows Mobile does offer lots of options, but it may take some time to figure them out. You are right having dedicated keys help. But others think that it adds clutter. (plus it is extra hardware cost) You can put the phone in silent mode thru the # key or click on the Power button. It will popup menu with Normal/Silent/Meeting option. These are called Profiles, which control how the phone behaves when a call comes in or a new email is received. How the phone should alert the user, the volume etc. Check it out, you will be impressed.

Turning the phone on recently there were no startup sounds and the only clue was the vibrate icon. Many phones allow both, a very useful feature in noisy environments.

When the phone is put in silent mode and powered off and then powered back on [since it is in silent mode] it does not make any noise. You can tweak the Silent profile to turn on the System sound, which is at the bottom of the list.

I haven't given up on the dash yet.

You shouldn't. It is one of the best units out there. Microsoft menus don't make it intuitive for newcomers but they do provide a lot of flexibility. Either thru their own menus or thru third party apps. Though I dont think there is any for what you are looking for. Or maybe someone else knows about something.

For instance, launching the gmail app on the fairly pedestrian razr v3 requires simply pressing 2 keys and sometimes a press to ok using data. It's very quick. Same with yahoo. Can that launch ease be accomplished with WM5?

Windows Mobile provides setting up hot keys for applications, but since Gmail is a Java application, your hot key will be setup to launch the Java client. And then you will have to select Gmail from the Java app list. To setup hot key in the Start Menu, select the Java application icon and click on the right soft key for the shortcut option.

andybar
12-19-2006, 02:37 AM
andybar> What browser do you suggest? From what I've seen in the forums PIE is pretty bad.

Kris Kumar> I love pIE. I never liked the ones on BlackBerry or Palm. And Opera is pricey or always in Beta.

Overall all mobile browsers have some shortcomings, but pIE to me always seemed to be ahead of the rest.

Kris, thanks for helping a WM5 newcomer along. I tried to use pIE to access my Yahoo page but it didn't really work; the site complained about the browser. Any suggestions?

Andy

Kris Kumar
12-19-2006, 03:46 AM
Another reader was having trouble accessing the Yahoo site, on the Dash.

And I believe the solution is: In pIE -> Menu-> Tools-> Options-> Connections : Make sure that the Automatically detect settings is checked.

Kris Kumar
12-19-2006, 04:01 AM
Oh I mis-read your problem, you mentioned that the Yahoo site complained about the browser. It seems like that the Web site is preventing you. It is sensing the mobile browser version and type.

In the past we used to hack the version and type that Windows Mobile reports. I havent tried that in a long time. Most Web sites are now mobile or Windows Mobile compatible.