View Full Version : E61?

Pete Paxton
12-16-2006, 06:34 AM
I have the Tmobile Dash and I have been very happy with it. I am getting the chance to have a Nokia E61 smartphone. Does anyone know much about this device? What are some of the pros and cons vs. WM5? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Mike Temporale
12-17-2006, 04:27 AM
One of the guys in the office has one of these. It's a big phone - thick and heavy. I setup email on the it for the guy, and I have to say, it's not as well thought out. In fact, using it for email would be a down right pain.

Compared to the Dash, I think you'll find the e61 a monster. Too big for someone that's been using a Dash or Blackjack. IMHO

Pete Paxton
12-17-2006, 07:14 AM
You're right about the E61 being big. i won't get it for a few more days now. I think I'll use the devices for different reasons. The E61 can create and edit word and excel docs. Lazin' around in bed I think the E61 will be better to surf with because it has big buttons and a large screen but once I leave the house I think I'll be taking my Dash for it's size. It'll be interesting in a month to see which I like best.

Mike Temporale
12-17-2006, 01:58 PM
After 30 minutes on the e61, there was no question which I liked better.

The screen may be bigger, but it doesn't look as nice. No argument on the editing of Office docs. I can't help but wonder why MS hasn't released and office suite for the Smartphone yet. :roll:

shackk
12-20-2006, 05:48 PM
I had an E61 for a few months and I was quite pleased with it. The screen resolution was just barely better on the Dash and I really did not notice. The browser on the E61 is by far the best thing on that device and should be replicated on smartphones everywhere. As for a large device well there is no disputing that but at the least the keys were not cramped like they are on the Dash imho.

Only reason I did not like it and keep it was the Symbian software platform. I found it terrible to use and navigate. Outlooks syncing performace was lacking to say the least and use of the calendar options with the built in client was terrible. You should not have to spend an additional $100 on 3rd party applications after you have already spent close to $400 on the phone.

As for navigation I know that is all my personal prefrence since I just like WM over symbian, but the rest made the device lacking.

subzerohf
12-20-2006, 10:35 PM
I alos tried the E62 (basically an E61 without wi-fi and 3G) at the store, and this thing is bigger than a typical Blackberry. Not my cup of tea.

But here is an article by someone who compared the two platforms (imho) objectively...

THOUGHT: Symbian S60 vs. Microsoft Windows Mobile Smartphone (http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=3440)