View Full Version : New again

rodneyt
12-15-2006, 06:45 AM
Several years ago I was really into Pocket PC developement. Eventually, I just could not keep up with all the MS changes and let my application wither and die. I would like to get back into it and wanted to develop a Smart Phone app in .NET. I have tried some J2ME, but that just didn't do the trick...

I remember when smartphones first came out your application had to be signed in order to run on the phone. Is that still true? I was looking at buying a i600 running the 2003 OS from Sprint. They are pretty cheap on the bay. Will this work? Can I write some code and deploy? Or would I be better off with one of the newer phones? There was never a problem with the Pocket PC, but I don't want to throw out money only to not be able to run my homegrown apps.

Thanks
nebraska rod

Mike Temporale
12-15-2006, 01:31 PM
Well, it depends on what platform you are targeting with your app. Are you thinking of using .NetCF2? If so, you'll need a WinMo5 device. .NetCF1? Then you'll need a WinMo2003SE device.

Applications only need to be signed to run on devices that are application locked. The i600 is application locked - IIRC. Any i-mate or Qtek or HTC device would not be application locked. Some carrier branded devices are app locked.

rodneyt
12-15-2006, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the reply. I am not too concerned about the CF version at this point. This exercise is to keep my programming skill up. I have been doing more analyst work this year and do not want to lose the skill set.

Is there a list of locked versus unlocked? What about that new blackjack, or the moto

thanks, rod

Mike Temporale
12-15-2006, 03:46 PM
The BlackJack has a basic level of app lock which can be turned off easily. I don't know about the Q.