View Full Version : Joystick problem - Cingular 2125

nandogm
12-13-2006, 11:53 PM
Hello !

I have had a cingular 2125 since july (2006), the phone has worked great, however, lately sometimes the joystick doesn't respond. It's very annoying when I am trying to scroll down and I can't...
I know it's still under warranty, BUT I am hesitant and uncertain whether or not I should call Cingular as I remember people talking about a defective ROM that had been released and replacement phones were coming with this ROM that made the keys get "stuck" especially when text messaging, which is what I use my phone for the most, I'd rather keep a joystick that doesnt work sometimes than a defective rom that wont allow me to text message... even though, I still think that it is wrong business and that Cingular should NOT knowingly replace a defective phone with another defective one.
So my question is: How should I proceed to make sure that my phone is replaced with a working one ? I dont care if it is refurbished/returned/fixed/etc... as long as it works the way it should.

Thank you in advanced for any tips.

Jerry Raia
12-14-2006, 10:32 AM
I would get the phone fixed especially if it is under warranty. Even if you have to send it back several times. I still have my old 2125 and the joy stick was becoming a bit intermittent after the ROM upgrade. I'm not sure if the ROM upgrade caused it or not. By that time I was already not using that phone as much.

onlydarksets
12-14-2006, 01:06 PM
I've sent back 5 or 6 of those due to bad joysticks. Finally, they are now replacing it with a 3125. You can ask them to do that through Cingular XBM if you bought it from Cingular. The warranty lasts through the first year.

Jerry Raia
12-14-2006, 02:09 PM
Yeah mine is out of warranty unfortunately. I'll just hang on to it. I wouldn't feel right selling it on eBay if it doesn't work well.

Mike Temporale
12-14-2006, 04:31 PM
I wonder if this is related to the kind of joystick problems we saw with the Tornado? Seems to me that it would be. It's based on the same hardware.

Jerry Raia
12-14-2006, 04:41 PM
Well the joystick on the 2125 always seemed flimsy to me, even when it worked properly.

nandogm
12-14-2006, 11:31 PM
OK, so I called them and explained what was happening and they will send me a replacement. I was going to ask him to make sure that I dont get a phone with the "problematic" ROM, but I figured that he'd say OK, but I do realize that REPs have absolutely nothing to do with the people shipping the phones... so I just left it alone. Hopefully I will get a good one... Thanks guys.

Also, how do I transfer EVERYTHING from my old phone to the new one ? Text messages are main priority... pictures,music, etc..I know how to transfer, and contacts I will sync with my Outlook. Anything else I should know ?

Thanks !!! :)

Jerry Raia
12-15-2006, 12:11 AM
You could use a backup program like Sprite. If the ROMs are identical then its just a matter of back up the old and restore on the new. Text messages are hidden in databases. Somebody here might know what files they are. Another option is an application like this from Jeyo. (http://www.jeyo.com/extender.asp) With it you can pull off and save all your text messages in Outlook. I've been using it a few years now.

yefm
12-15-2006, 05:28 PM
I have a similar problem with my 2125. It only intermittently responds to pushing the joystick up. Worked fine for the first 13 months.

Since it is now out of warranty, I don't think there are many options other than live with it or replace it, but I have another 11 months before I qualify for an upgrade with Cingular.

onlydarksets
12-15-2006, 05:35 PM
I have a similar problem with my 2125. It only intermittently responds to pushing the joystick up. Worked fine for the first 13 months.

Since it is now out of warranty, I don't think there are many options other than live with it or replace it, but I have another 11 months before I qualify for an upgrade with Cingular.

You should be able to upgrade a little sooner than that. I think Cingular will let you upgrade after 20 months, but I'm not 100% positive. Call customer care, as they may be willing to work with you if you are just out of warranty. Also, check out this page (https://supportcingular.atgnow.com/cng/tutorials/KB66041.html).

bystander
12-18-2006, 01:36 PM
I only wish that I could qualify for warranty. I had an accident and fell. Besides hurting myself, I fell on my cingular 2125 and thus the screen is toast (all white with a pressure mark on the side). They want $125 to replace the screen. It would not have been so bad if I had owned it more than 3 months.

Cingular pushed me to the 3125 as they said the 2125 was no longer being sold.

I still wish I could have gotten the 2125 back in working order in an affordable manner.

onlydarksets
12-18-2006, 03:12 PM
Sorry to hear that - both about the accident and the non-warranty damage. Here's to a speedy recovery!

nandogm
12-19-2006, 05:49 PM
Ok, so I got my BRAND NEW 2125 from Cingular and of course, they sent me the one with the problem... the text messaging problem, as I had predicted. I am calling Cingular right now.

You know, this is not right. They are knowingly sending defective phones to people... that's bad business.... but, apparently they dont care. So i am going to call and have them send me as many replacements as it takes for them finally realize that they are spending more sending defective phones then they would by getting phones that do work properly.

I will let you guys know what happens... right now I am on hold.

onlydarksets
12-19-2006, 05:59 PM
Good for you. Also, you should insist that they overnight the phones to you free of charge till they get it right. One last thing, if you would rather have a 3125, tell them and they will likely send you one.

nandogm
12-19-2006, 06:04 PM
Crap ! I forgot to ask them to overnight it... :roll:

Anyway, I do like the 3125, I love flip phones and I like the screen in the front, however, I hate the "Razr" style keyboard... I think they are too hard and I hate how they feel.
Is the screen the same size as the 2125 ?

onlydarksets
12-19-2006, 07:02 PM
Crap ! I forgot to ask them to overnight it... :roll:

Anyway, I do like the 3125, I love flip phones and I like the screen in the front, however, I hate the "Razr" style keyboard... I think they are too hard and I hate how they feel.
Is the screen the same size as the 2125 ?

Yep - both are 2.2". The keypad takes some getting used to, but it's not too bad. Then again, I don't use it everyday.

nandogm
12-28-2006, 07:51 AM
ok, so I received the replacement and obviously same ROM version and same problem... I decided to wait until after Christmas to call.. I knew it was going to be a long call..
Yesterday at 5:40pm I called and spoke with 3 different people.. the first had no clue about anything, I dont think she was even 100% sure who she was working for...
-2nd guy: Was very nice, but kept wanting me to try a hard reset on the new phone.. I told him several times that First: I didnt have an extra battery, I dont have a house phone and I wasnt goign to hang up with him to switch batteries... he insisted and I kept my cool, but insisting that that was NOT needed. So finally, he told me He was goign to send me another 2125, and I said that I didnt want another one... long story short, he offered me a blackberry which I turned down right away... then he had the audacity to offer me a SMT5600 and even told me that "the 2125 and the SMT5600 were basically the same phones"... I had to argue and almost got loud with him... I told him: "That was an old phone.. and I was NOT going to take it".. Finally I asked for a supervisor... I was already on the phone for over 38 minutes. The supervisor told me the samething that the previous guy had told me.. and when I told her that I was NOT going to take an SMT5600, she asked me: "What would you like ?" and I said: "A 2125 that works..." her response was: "I dont think that will be possible as you can see, so I will make an exception and upgrade you to a 3125... I made sure to ask for overnight and she said that that was not possible, well today, before 5pm the phone was delivered to my house. :)
So, I am happy.. I actually like the phone a lot already. Now the problem is... how do I transfer my text messages to the new phone ? That's the only thing I'd like to transfer.. everything else is in the memory card and my OUTLOOK...
Thanks guys !

nandogm
12-28-2006, 07:56 AM
I just realized they use different memory cards... :?

Jerry Raia
12-28-2006, 08:04 AM
You can't transfer the SMS messages. The only thing you can do is save them to your PC on Outlook with a program like jeyo extender. (http://www.jeyo.com/extender.asp)

nandogm
12-29-2006, 12:25 AM
Have you guys heard about Smartphone Studio ??

yefm
01-16-2007, 01:19 AM
The problem I had with my Joystick not responding well (not to being pushed up most of the time) appears to be fixed.

When getting out of my car I dropped the phone and it hit hard on upper right corner of the phone on blacktop. While it now has a nice ding on the corner, the joystick seems to work fine now!

PS: Phone is a Cingular 2125

Jerry Raia
01-16-2007, 01:22 AM
I'll give that a try! :lol:

Mike Temporale
01-16-2007, 04:24 AM
When getting out of my car I dropped the phone and it hit hard on upper right corner of the phone on blacktop. While it now has a nice ding on the corner, the joystick seems to work fine now!

8O Guess it must have jar'ed free whatever was preventing things from working. Not the best way to go about fixing things, but it worked for you. ;)

billy33
02-01-2007, 11:51 PM
I too have a 2125 with a joystick problem. However, they don't want to honor the warranty because the moisture sticker says void - even though the only moisture it has been exposed to is humidity. I don't have any of my paperwork. Could someone who has a copy of the warranty snap a picture and send it to me? Thanks.