View Full Version : Activesync 4.2… connected but cannot sync ??

triman
12-06-2006, 03:53 AM
I’ve searched this topic but came up with nothing.
I just bought the Dash and tried to sync with my desktop but to no avail.

Background info:
The exact model I bought is the dopod c720w. Everything is in Chinese but I changed the language settings on the phone to English right away. The AS that came on the CD is the Chinese so I downloaded the English AS 4.2 version from M$ site. I had the O2 XdaIIs and mini before and had no problems syncing with the older versions of AS.

Problem:
I plugged in the original mini usb cable and windows recognized and installed the drivers without any problems. But when AS auto starts, it says the device is “connected” but then it just stays in the “looking for changes” phase for 5 mins before it gives up. The weird thing is that I can browse the contents of the “mobile device” meaning that there aren’t any problems communicating between the desktop and the phone, but for some reason…. It’s not syncing……

I have ten days to exchange this phone for a new one, should I try a new unit??
Thanks in advance

Mike Temporale
12-06-2006, 04:54 AM
Turn off your firewall and try again. That's the number one biggest problem with AS, IMHO. Don't worry that you can browse the phone as it's a different protocol and might not be considered something worth blocking by the firewall.

triman
12-07-2006, 03:37 AM
yup that solved the problem!!

thanks a mil!

Mike Temporale
12-07-2006, 04:41 AM
Cool. Glad I could help. :)

under par
12-08-2006, 06:39 PM
I hate to be a dummie on this :? , but I'm having a similar problem.
On my new blackjack, I connect to the PC via USB and Active Sync 4.2 recognizes the device and begins the sync process. Both my PC and my phone show "synchronizing", but after several hours, no data has transfered.

When you say "turn off your firewall", can you elaborate on what steps I take to do that? Is this something on my PC? Is this the same as going to IE > tools > internet options, then changing some setting under security or privacy? Or is turning off your firewall something totally different?

Sorry again for the novice question. Hope someone can assist. Thanks!

under par
12-08-2006, 10:46 PM
I found the firewall app within the control panel on my PC. When I opened it, all the Active Sync boxes where already checked to allow them through, but I still can't sync. The phone and PC just show continual "synchronizing", but nothing happens, even over night.

Any additional thoughts?

under par
12-09-2006, 05:06 AM
FYI for anyone else who reads this post, after several hours on the phone with Cingular support, then Samsung support, and finally my corporate tech support group, the verdict is that my corporate security settings don't seem to allow the use of Active Sync while I'm remotely VPN'd in. Active Sync works flawlessly when I'm connected to the network over RJ45 (evidently, firewalls are not a factor when I'm connected via land line).

I'd still be interested if anyone has any suggestions on how to overcome the sychning challenge when remotely connected to a corportate network. Thanks!

Mike Temporale
12-11-2006, 05:36 PM
Ah, I'm not surprised that AS doesn't work over a VPN connection. There was a security flaw a while ago that caused MS to pull network sync from AS. I imagine that you're situation falls under this functionality. :?

bshpmark
12-12-2006, 10:19 AM
Also, anything like ZoneAlarm or TrendMicrocillin or other software like McAfee that has a firewall will also prohibit you from syncing. I always have to remember to turn off my ZoneAlarm software when I sync.

Mike Temporale
12-12-2006, 02:51 PM
Also, anything like ZoneAlarm or TrendMicrocillin or other software like McAfee that has a firewall will also prohibit you from syncing. I always have to remember to turn off my ZoneAlarm software when I sync.

You shouldn't have to turn it off all the time. If you find this is the problem, you should be able to tell your firewall to allow sync'ing. I'm not sure how in those applications, but there is usually a way to open the firewall for a given application. Just open it up for AS and you should be fine.