View Full Version : Yet another Dash Quirk

bshpmark
12-03-2006, 12:23 PM
Well, my Dash seems to have another quirk. On my SDA when I was using Internet Explorer and pulled up my favorites list, I could press a key on the dial pad and would be taken to the favorites beginning with the first letter on the dial pad. For example, if I pressed the key containing "pqrs" I would go to the favorites beginning with the letter "P".

Well, on the Dash I am getting weird things like this....

If I press "Y" I will go to the favorites beginning with the letter "Y". That'show it issupposed to work. But, If I press the letter "S" I will go to to the favorites beginning with the letter "G". If I press the letter "A" I don't go anywhere!! It does not matter where I am at in the list. These are always consistent.

Seems like an awful lot of little things got past the QA folks at HTC on this one.

Mike Temporale
12-03-2006, 02:19 PM
sounds like it thinks it should be using T9 instead of the QWERTY. My guess is that it's only reading the letters from those 9 numeric keys and it's using the QWERTY value of those. I would say it's a bug. ;)

Jerry Raia
12-03-2006, 02:21 PM
Could any of these issues be caused by some installed application? Just thought I'd throw that thought out.

bshpmark
12-04-2006, 12:33 AM
Well, I figured it out. The Dash is seeing the dialing numbers of the QWERTY keypad like the number pad of a telephone. So the "S" key which is the 4 number key is actually being seen as the "G H I" key on a regular phone keypad and thus taking me to the letter G in the favorites list.

Well, now that I have that figured out I can adapt.

Gavino1212
12-04-2006, 02:16 AM
Well, on the Dash I am getting weird things like this....

If I press "Y" I will go to the favorites beginning with the letter "Y". That'show it issupposed to work. But, If I press the letter "S" I will go to to the favorites beginning with the letter "G". If I press the letter "A" I don't go anywhere!! It does not matter where I am at in the list. These are always consistent.

I noticed this too, wasn't quite sure what to make of it.

Well, I figured it out. The Dash is seeing the dialing numbers of the QWERTY keypad like the number pad of a telephone. So the "S" key which is the 4 number key is actually being seen as the "G H I" key on a regular phone keypad and thus taking me to the letter G in the favorites list.

Well that explains a lot!! now I'll have to remember that abc starts on 2 and progresses 3 letters per number to 9. shouldn't be
too hard..... 8O

Jerry Raia
12-04-2006, 04:02 AM
that is ridiculous for a phone with a QWERTY keypad to do that! :roll:

GSmith
12-04-2006, 05:18 AM
On my i-mate SP5m, the "*" key on also has "T9" printed on it and during character entry, it usually changes the input mode. The input mode is indicated at the top between the WiFi indicator and the carrier wireless strength indicator ("bars"). The modes cycled through are "abc", "Abc", "ABC", "123", large symbol screen, "t9", "T9", "T9" (large nine), "123", large symbol screen.

I would hope (think) that the Dash has at least one additional mode in which the keyboard is a full querty keyboard.

Anyone care to mention what modes the Dash cycles through (and what button is used to cycle through the modes)?

Greg Smith
Author, FeederReader - Windows Mobile news, blogs, audio, video, podcasts downloaded direct to your Smartphone or Pocket PC
www.FeederReader.com - Download on the Road

Gavino1212
12-04-2006, 05:49 AM
I would hope (think) that the Dash has at least one additional mode in which the keyboard is a full querty keyboard.

Anyone care to mention what modes the Dash cycles through (and what button is used to cycle through the modes)?

Yes, The i-mate SP5m seems to be the same as the Tmo SDA which I have as well as the Dash.

On the Dash, the 'alt' key is used in conjunction with the 'space' key to bring up 4 options:
1 XT9
2 ABC
3 Language
4 About XT9 (which gives the copyright year and company, as well as the XT9 core, and IME.

Much as I like gadgets like smartphones and ppcs, I'm not yet that much of a techie thouch I have messed around in my P4 a bit, I don't know much about editing registries,( I avoid it like the plague unless I have exremely detailed help!) or html or code.

Seems to be no way to edit xt9 as of yet, would be extremely helpful to a great number of folks.

You can actually use it as a full qwerty key/thumbboard, no way to permanently disable xt9 yet, I think, you can switch to abc, and it does work quite well.

Folks still ask if it's a Blackberry..lol and again, I reply,..."No, it's the new T-Mobile Dash with Windows Mobile"