View Full Version : Samsung Blackjack Batteries: Rejoice!

Rocco Augusto
11-27-2006, 01:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.modaco.com/index.php?s=4daf8b05e09324030ccab52ecc56e57f&showtopic=248804' target='_blank'>http://www.modaco.com/index.php?s=4daf8b05e09324030ccab52ecc56e57f&showtopic=248804</a><br /><br /></div><i>"It's no secret that even though the Blackjack is an unbelievable Smartphone, battery life is a bit less than desirable with HSDPA use. (less than a full 24hr day for me....your mileage may vary). But HowardForums member, pbogle, offers us a solution to turn off/on HSDPA data, based on his Samsung ZX20 experience. This leaves us Blackjack users with UNBELIEVABLY GREAT battery life under EDGE or GPRS data. (2 or more bars left by the end of the day for me with a decent amount of use)."</i><br /><br />Over at MoDaCo, encece has posted a quick walkthrough for toggling your HSDPA data connection off and on. If you are one of those users that can barely make it through a single days use, like myself, this might be a less expensive alternative to purchasing an <a href="http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=80980">extended battery</a>.<!><br /><br />The solution is an phone code to open a secret Admin Settings screen that will allow you to switch between GSM Data (Edge/GPRS) and WCDMA(HSDPA).<br /><br />1. Enter *#1546792*#<br />2. Select Option 3 Netowrk &amp; Call Settings<br />3. Select option 5 Network Mode<br />4. Select GSM<br />(Choose WCDMA to change it back when you need it.)

rdecker
11-27-2006, 03:15 PM
I agree - works like a champ BUT...

I bought this thing for HSDPA.

I have my Treo 650 for Edge. There have been rumors around that Cingular is tweaking their network to improve the battery life on 3G devices.

For now, I have ordered an extended battery; just by doing the math on the extra capacity it should last 30% longer.

Right now, if I connect to my slingbox with the phone I can get about 30 minutes of streaming video before I get a low battery error...... :twisted:

dstrauss
11-27-2006, 06:38 PM
Everything I've read on HSDPA is that it is a power hog, so an ultralight like the Blackjack is going to take a hit. I DON'T want a larger phone, so I'll start/stop HSDPA as needed. On EDGE, I can go nearly two days even with push email, so I'll keep my Blackjack slim and trim thank you.

Rocco Augusto
11-27-2006, 07:05 PM
i got this device for 3G speeds as well. this is why im happy they gave us a second battery. :)

Janak Parekh
11-27-2006, 08:53 PM
Everything I've read on HSDPA is that it is a power hog, so an ultralight like the Blackjack is going to take a hit.
Hmm. Is this true for all HSDPA phones? One thing I noticed (to my satisfaction) is that EVDO takes significantly less power in most cases than 1xRTT -- at least on my Treo 700w.

--janak

amg212
11-27-2006, 10:10 PM
My home is not in a 3G area, but my office is. I've had experience with moderate usage at both locations (strong signal in either case) and have found the battery life to be solid either way.

Where I ran into issues was at a client location that was (seemingly) between two towers, only one of which supported 3G - so the phone bounced back and forth between edge and 3G. In that case, the battery life suffered. The 3G toggle would have been helpful to stop the bouncing and keep my battery alive.

I'd venture a guess (nothing technical to base this on) that the UMTS signal on the blackjack is no less power efficient than the GSM/EDGE signal but the initial acquisition of that signal and the search for a 3G tower is what causes the excess power drain.

In other words, I would suspect that if you were solidly in a 3G area you could use 3G all the time and be fine power-wise

Am I alone in this thought??

stevew
11-27-2006, 10:50 PM
In other words, I would suspect that if you were solidly in a 3G area you could use 3G all the time and be fine power-wise

Am I alone in this thought??

I think you're correct in that assumption. I have a steady 4 bar 3g signal in my area and I get an easy 2-3 days before I charge the battery. Of course I'm not doing video, push email and surfing all day long like some users. After the initial play factor and a couple drains and recharges, I seem to be getting satisfactory battery life.

cortez
11-27-2006, 10:53 PM
Everything I've read on HSDPA is that it is a power hog, so an ultralight like the Blackjack is going to take a hit.
Hmm. Is this true for all HSDPA phones? One thing I noticed (to my satisfaction) is that EVDO takes significantly less power in most cases than 1xRTT -- at least on my Treo 700w.

--janak

i have the 750v and with 3G/UMTS, i'll drain my battery faster if i leave it on 3G the whole day. i usually leave it on GSM/Edge unless there's a reason to use 3G. i believe that high-speed=faster battery drain on any 3G device. i had the same behavior when i was using the Tytn.

now my spouse wants to return her BlackJack because of battery life. even with the registry tweak, she's getting only 24 hrs use... granted she's on the phone 2+ hours a day and she receives 75-100 emails a day. (i'm going to take a beating for convincing her to get this phone! :twak: )

Tim Williamson
11-27-2006, 10:58 PM
Even with a little web browsing and a few minutes of phone calls I'm coming home with 75% or more battery (with my Dash). :)

On the Dash it will disconnect the EDGE data connection if it isn't used for a certain amount of time, does the BJ do this too?

stevew
11-27-2006, 11:23 PM
I myself don't understand that as long as you can make it through your day on a charge, why that would not be sufficient. Charge the thing while you're asleep. But that's just me. :P

amg212
11-27-2006, 11:44 PM
Even with a little web browsing and a few minutes of phone calls I'm coming home with 75% or more battery (with my Dash). :)

On the Dash it will disconnect the EDGE data connection if it isn't used for a certain amount of time, does the BJ do this too?

I'm using push email so the data connection is constantly open. Having the open connection does not, in and of itself, translate to data transmission or battery drain.

rdecker
11-28-2006, 12:15 AM
--janak[/quote]

i have the 750v and with 3G/UMTS, i'll drain my battery faster if i leave it on 3G the whole day. i usually leave it on GSM/Edge unless there's a reason to use 3G. i believe that high-speed=faster battery drain on any 3G device. i had the same behavior when i was using the Tytn.

now my spouse wants to return her BlackJack because of battery life. even with the registry tweak, she's getting only 24 hrs use... granted she's on the phone 2+ hours a day and she receives 75-100 emails a day. (i'm going to take a beating for convincing her to get this phone! :twak: )[/quote]

What registry tweak are you talking about?

dstrauss
11-28-2006, 12:52 AM
I think stevew is right. I've never relied on a phone for multi-day use without charging at night. Guess I'm an old stick in the mud that way, but it's safer and less painful. 8)

Tim Williamson
11-28-2006, 02:09 AM
Yeah I've always made a habit of charging my phone and Pocket PC (now just Smartphone) every night even just to top it off, but I could see why heavy users could have an issue with battery life.

encece
11-28-2006, 05:26 AM
I charge my phone every night as well. I even charge it at work while I sit at my desk. But on the occassions that I need the battery to last me for a complete 24 hour period...I expect the phone to do that.

An example would be an early wake up and commute at 4-5am to work offsite or visit a customer. Work thru the day go home and possibly go out at the end of the day 'til late night. This would require almost a full 19-24 hours of power, which I expect the phone to be able to handle.

Without this tweak it couldn't...but now it can and then some. And I can still use my high speed data when I need to as opposed to shutting it off completely.

edgar
11-28-2006, 07:11 PM
can we set a speed dial to this tweak?

iJITSU
11-28-2006, 07:16 PM
For those who want to extend the battery life even more: Tessco will have the extended battery and battery door available mid December. They have a consumer line: 866-837-7265.

iJITSU
11-28-2006, 07:18 PM

yes. once you create a shortcut in the windows/start menu folder you can then create a speed dial to bring up either the admin settings or band selction menus.

Rocco Augusto
11-28-2006, 09:33 PM

i dunno, can you ;) :P :twisted:

edgar
11-29-2006, 12:15 AM
iJITSU == Nice
Rocco == evil!

Rocco Augusto
11-29-2006, 06:06 AM
iJITSU == Nice
Rocco == evil!