exjd
11-25-2006, 05:12 PM
Had mine for 2 days; replaced SMT5600
Pros
1. Screen is beautiful
2. Multiple navigation alternatives
3. QWERTY better than T9!
4. Form factor is fantastic; one hand or two; fits in pocket
5. 3G better though may not be best (WiFi)
6. Can view though not edit Office docs

Cons
1. Unlimited Cingular data plan twice as much (priced as PDA not Smartphone)
2. Battery; having a second battery is nice but who wants to carry it around
3. No bluetooth voice activated dialing (This one is hard to believe)
NEWLY ADDED
4. How could I have forgotten to mention that battery cover. It is so tight I feel like I am going to break the phone. I keep on feeling that there is a trick I am missing, but others are commenting on this as well.

Looking for a case; any recommendations? Compatible with Motorola Q cases?
Alan

AdamaDBrown
11-25-2006, 07:28 PM
You can use the $20 data plan with the Blackjack--Cingular doesn't support it, but it works perfectly as long as you can get somebody to switch you to it.

NTElvin
11-25-2006, 10:38 PM
You can use the $20 data plan with the Blackjack--Cingular doesn't support it, but it works perfectly as long as you can get somebody to switch you to it.
That's right. I've been using the $20/mo MediaMax 200 plan and haven't had a single problem. This is not a PDA, it's a SP.

BruceA
11-26-2006, 12:03 AM
I have an SMT5600 also (2 years) and am looking at the Blackjack. After talking to two different Cingular stores twice each, they're telling me that the BJ needs the $ 39.95 plan. I've got the $19.95plan now, but a $20. jump per month is making me reconsider my strategy.
How did you work it to use the $19.95 plan? Do I just need to find a Cingular store that will "draft in" the BJ on the Smartphone plan?

NTElvin
11-26-2006, 03:50 AM
I have an SMT5600 also (2 years) and am looking at the Blackjack. After talking to two different Cingular stores twice each, they're telling me that the BJ needs the $ 39.95 plan. I've got the $19.95plan now, but a $20. jump per month is making me reconsider my strategy.
How did you work it to use the $19.95 plan? Do I just need to find a Cingular store that will "draft in" the BJ on the Smartphone plan?
For some strange reason Cingular is marketing this phone as a PDA. I've spoken to two data consultants at their corporate offices (both of which happen to be close personal friends of mine) and each told me MM200 would work just fine on the phone. Many others have had success with the cheaper plans as well (check out Howard Forums). I suggest you either keep trying different stores/reps until you get one that gets you what you want or go with the PDA plan and then call Cingy and have the rep change it back.

stumpy
11-26-2006, 04:47 AM
When I bought mine the store rep said that for me to get the 100 rebate I needed to get the 39.99 or I could keep the my current one 29.99 because I needed the 1000 messages. If you don't need 1000 messages stay with the 19.99 and tell them that you don't care for the rebate since 10 months from now you would have saved 200 bucks.

edgar
11-26-2006, 09:20 AM
I simply logged into my account on Cingular, clicked modify features and selected the 19.99 Media Max 200.

Went back out today and it shsows I've moved like 6Mb of data (Im playing alot :) ) an shows cost as $0 (covered in pan).

Supposedly the new smartphone plans get released in lat december? I was initally on the Smartphne unlimted plan, but got messages saying the plan doesnt start until Dec 22. Moved to Media Max and im fine now.

ricoks
11-27-2006, 05:50 PM
This is what Cingular is saying, because they are lumping all phones that have a 'keyboard' together. regardless of the OS it is running. It will work fine on the MM200, or the SM plan.
of note with the rebate, if you read the rebate requirements, it doesn't say which plan it requires. It just says unlimited data plan.
Many have been on this plan and gotten rebates in the past. Just an FYI - remember, tho, that YMMV! :)

dstrauss
11-29-2006, 04:09 PM

I'm using mine with a two year old Unlimited Media Net ($19.99) account with unlimited data. Works perfect even in 3G areas. They did give me one of the new 3G SIM cards when I activated. I just told the salesman I wanted th phone with NO PLAN CHANGES ant got it for $299, and he filled out the $100 rebate form telling me that was a qualifying unlimited data plan. We'll see if I get the rebat, but even if I get rejected, the monthly savings make up for the rebate in 5 months, and in 15 months the phone would be "free"

spacehog
01-30-2007, 05:29 PM
Cons

4. How could I have forgotten to mention that battery cover. It is so tight I feel like I am going to break the phone. I keep on feeling that there is a trick I am missing, but others are commenting on this as well. [/b][/color]

this was driving me nuts, to the point where i nearly returned the phone but i finally figure di tout after 40 minutes of pulling and pushing. you need to use the palm of your hand to slide the phone down, not fingers.

grasp your palm across the back with your fingers coming over and around the bottom of the phone (from back to front). then using a little pressure from the tips of your fingers against the bottom front of the phone, push the cover off with your palm. it should slide right off.