View Full Version : Xpressmail and Tmobile Dash issue - need help!

VoltesV
11-09-2006, 01:55 AM
Hi everyone,

I just bought a Tmobile Dash and unlocked it so it can work with my Cingular service. Everything is going fine for about 2 days I have my Dash. I now have the time to configure and play around with it to have my Corporate Email available on my phone. I tried installing the Cingular XpressMail but it seems not configuring it correctly, not sure why. It's installing the Xpress mail app and seems registering it but not creating the Xpress Mail mail profile in the Messaging setting where the rest of the email/sms/mms profiles are at.

I have Cingular 2125 and this setup works for me on that phone. Do you think there's some sort of check if the device is existing in Cingular before it creates the profile and get it working? The Dash is definitely not there in their list of devices but when I look at the Manage Device section of Xpressmail, it sees that I have a Tmobile Dash.

Hopefully there's someone out there who already figured out how o make Xpressmail work with the Dash. Help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks and have a good day.

Kris Kumar
11-10-2006, 01:09 AM
I believe this is because the XpressMail is signed to work only on the Cingular devices. I have seen this symptom when I tried to XpressMail on non-cingular devices.

The trick is to Application unlock the Dash. I believe there is some tool out there to do it. I haven't done it in a long time.

Let me dig it up.

VoltesV
11-10-2006, 06:36 AM
Kris,

Thanks for the response. So do you think it only has to do with the phone being not Application unlocked? Didn't get the hint that it's saying it can't install the Xpressmail software, it successfully loaded in my phone. The only problem is that it's just missing that one piece of the client which is the email profile.

I tried playing around with Registry settings last night in trying to trick Xpressmail that it's a Cingular 2125 ;) It didn't work. I compared registry settings that's common to them in terms of what's getting registered in the list of Xpressmail's devices. It seems it has two common areas (that makes sense) that can be modified to trick Xpressmail:

HKLM|Ident|OrigName|Value Data= 2125
HKLM|System|Platform|OEMString|Value Data= 2125

HKLM|Ident|OrigName|Value Data= T-Mobile Dash
HKLM|System|Platform|OEMString|Value Data= T-Mobile Dash

The only thing I can change on the Tmobile phone registry was the OrigName and the phone itself is not allowing me to change OEMString value. I tried the change on one registry entry and didn't work. I wonder if I could just change the Tmobile OEMString value to 2125, it might probably have worked.

Yeah if you could post me to get that tool, I won't mind experimenting to see if it will do the trick.

Thanks,

V

Kris Kumar
11-10-2006, 12:24 PM
HKLM|Ident|OrigName|Value Data= 2125
HKLM|System|Platform|OEMString|Value Data= 2125

HKLM|Ident|OrigName|Value Data= T-Mobile Dash
HKLM|System|Platform|OEMString|Value Data= T-Mobile Dash

No, that won't work. The reason why you don't see the Xpressmail in the Outlook email listing is because the Xpressmail module is signed with a certificate not trusted by the Dash. Windows Mobile has a certificate based security for some critical areas like email clients. Application unlock gets rid of this security feature. By doing so we are making the system vulnerable to trojan codes/viruses. ;-)

Check out this Wiki:
http://wiki.spv-developers.com/index.php/HTC_Application_Unlock_Guide

It has the Step by Step Guide. Just follow the instructions. Just make sure that you have backed up your Smartphone before performing these steps.

VoltesV
11-14-2006, 11:31 AM
Kris,

Thanks for giving me the right idea regarding the Dash not being "app unlocked" that's why it's not getting the Xpress Mail email client installed. I thought I had it app unlocked before because I was installing other apps and everything is working fine.

So in short after doing an app unlock the Xpress Mail, it installed on the Dash and now doing was it supposed to be doing --- Pushing Email!

Thanks again! :D

- V

Kris Kumar
11-14-2006, 12:34 PM
Glad that things are fine. :-)