View Full Version : Dash Tweaks

Kris Kumar
11-06-2006, 02:58 AM
Thought I should start a thread with all the Dash tweaks and tricks.

Folks, let build up this thread. :D

1. Enable Touch Strip for Scrolling:
http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12693

2. Change pink TZones button on the keyboard to launch your favorite app:
- Look for short_IE.lnk file in the \Windows folder on your Dash.
- Open the file in a text editor and replace the line 36#"\windows\winwapce14s-tmobile.exe" with
- 36#"\<your program name and path>"

e.g.
36#"\windows\iexplore.exe"
My favorite:
30#\Windows\IA_Task_Manager.exe?:TaskManagerApp

I am not sure what the 30# and 36# represents. I just copied the text from the Task Manager.lnk file into the short_IE.lnk file. ;-) You can do the same with your favorite application. But having a task manager like application on hand might help when you are really stuck. When I had to do my hard reset because of non-responsive home screen. I realized that the tzones button was working because it would launch IE, which is what I had configured it for. If only I had it configured for task manager, I would have been able to shut down the errant application.

3. Home Screen definitely needs to be tweaked, like add some Fizz Weather and Facade plugins. The ones I found the Internet are mostly for Q and have the Q plugins. So I created one for myself.

Here is what mine looks like:
http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/images/TMobileDashFullyLoadedV1.jpg
In case you like the layout, you can download and copy this XML (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/images/Dash-FullyLoaded.home.xml) to the \Application Data\Home folder and then in the Home Screen settings select Dash-FullyLoaded as your home screen. Be sure to install Fizz Weather 2 and Facade before you install this home screen.

Sorry I am not that great with home screen design. I plan on replacing the text - calendar, tasks, applications with icons in the next version of the home screen. If you have any designed for Dash home screens, then share them over here.

Version 2: With the border and icons for the Facade tabs.
http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/images/TMobileDashFullyLoadedV2.jpg

The home screen layout for this style can be downloaded from here. (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/images/Dash-FullyLoadedV2.home.xml)

Hard Reset: In case any one of the above tweaks back fires. :-)

The easy way is Start->Accessories->Clear Storage application.

But there might be times when you cannot even get the phone to power up.

That is when you need the perform the following steps:
- with the phone powered off, make sure battery is fully charged
- press the two soft keys, yes the left and right soft keys
- while keeping it pressed, press the power button down
- keep the power button pressed down for 1 - 1.5 seconds
- release the power button but do NOT release the soft keys
- wait for the black screen with some blah-blah to popup, now release the soft keys
- if you dont see the black screen with the reset option, pull the battery out, reinsert it and repeat the above steps
- when you see the black screen with the reset option, press the Send button to confirm the reset.

sosnow
11-08-2006, 05:53 AM
Kris,
I noticed your home screens have "cingular" as the carrier and these are home screen shots of the dash?
Do you run the dash in the cingular network? Any issues?

I was thinking about doing the same. I have been trying the dash for about a week and really like it. But I am a little nervous about switching to t-mobile.

I saw the blackjack last week ( a working demo) and I was not that impressed, so that is not a reason to stay with cingular.

Kris Kumar
11-08-2006, 05:59 AM
I have been using the Dash on the Cingular network for almost a week now. It has been working without a hitch.

I feel that it is better than my previous Smartphone 2125 and even has an edge over the 3125 when it comes to reception. I haven't dropped any calls but then I never did with the 2125. Push email is no problem, EDGE network seems faster or smoother.

The only annoyance is the branding. I have nothing against T-Mobile, its just that I hate the branding, especially when I paid full price for the phone. ;-)

sosnow
11-08-2006, 06:20 AM
Did you use something to unlock the phone? Or did you buy an unlocked version.

I am assuming I cannot just plug my cingular simm card into the tmobile dash. Or can I

Kris Kumar
11-08-2006, 12:58 PM

Unlocked it using http://www.imei-check.co.uk/dashunlock.php

At this time there are no free tools. I know there is one for the 2125.

mvv_hyd
11-08-2006, 11:57 PM
Does anybody know if I can remap the mail button? I don't use any of those mails and I want to be able to launch something useful quickly (like media player)

Mike Temporale
11-09-2006, 04:11 AM
The only annoyance is the branding. I have nothing against T-Mobile, its just that I hate the branding, especially when I paid full price for the phone. ;-)

You can make some tweaks and remove or replace that branding with something else. ;)

Kris Kumar
11-09-2006, 01:53 PM
You can make some tweaks and remove or replace that branding with something else. ;)

I guess I am too lazy to figure out and search on my own. I want someone else to do the legwork for me. :oops:

sosnow
11-09-2006, 08:32 PM

Unlocked it using http://www.imei-check.co.uk/dashunlock.php

At this time there are no free tools. I know there is one for the 2125.

Thanks Kris!
One more question: Does cingular know if you are using the DAsh? And do I need to upgrade the cingular media net data plan because I am now using a keyboard device?

Kris Kumar
11-10-2006, 01:26 AM
Does cingular know if you are using the DAsh? And do I need to upgrade the cingular media net data plan because I am now using a keyboard device?

I won't tell them if you won't. ;-)

I don't think they can find out. I am hoping their pricing is based on touch screen and Pocket PC Edition as opposed to just keyboard. It could be.

But right now I haven't noticed any change but will post back here if I am ever caught.

sosnow
11-10-2006, 06:26 PM
Thanks agian Kris,
I am actually thinking about swiching to t-mobile. All of the data and phone tests I have done with my 2125(cingular) vs. Dash(tmobile) have been in favor of the Dash. Cingular has a second or two better response on some webpages but not all. I live in the far north suburbs of chicago (almost cheesehead) and the tmobile reception has been better.

A dash specfic question:
In Comm manager how do you get the direct push icon to be highlighted and turned on? I know the exchange server needs to be setup properly, but how do I make the phone ready?

Cheers

Mike Temporale
11-11-2006, 04:32 AM
A dash specfic question:
In Comm manager how do you get the direct push icon to be highlighted and turned on? I know the exchange server needs to be setup properly, but how do I make the phone ready?

Cheers

You need to run Active Sync on the phone and you can add/configure an Exchange server in there.

Kris Kumar
11-11-2006, 10:06 PM
Added instructions for Hard-Reset during the power on. Hope you guys never need it.

Kris Kumar
11-12-2006, 05:12 AM
Realized that I had posted this thread under the TMobile forum (which about services rather than devices) instead of the HTC forum.

Corrected it. :)

algorhythm
11-13-2006, 05:31 AM
Kris, I can't imagine anyone at Cingular would care if you're using a DASH. I've run iMates and other GSM stuff from the UK on T-Mo, and before that on ATT and was always told, essentially, "it's your contract, you can run whatever you want if it works." Only time it mattered was when I asked them for support setting up WAP when they changed everything 2-3 years back...even then, T-Mo escalated it to tier 3 tech support, who were totally cool. :)

Re the push icon....I'm not running Exchange (hence mine's disabled), but if you set up auto-notify in T-Mo's WAP email -- and disable text message notifications -- it pushes mail through anyway. I've got 2 POP and 2 IMAP boxes and they're all working.

bshpmark
12-01-2006, 07:05 AM
I am getting my Dash tomorrow. Will I need to do a lot of tweaks to the registry on it like I did to my SDA? For example, will I need to do the changes to get the EDGE icon to display, the photos to store on the storage card, etc etc etc?

What are the must do tweaks for the Dash?

Kris Kumar
12-06-2006, 12:38 PM
I feel that you don't have to worry about tweaks. You definitely dont have to worry about the E icon hack anymore.

The tweaks mentioned in this thread are optional. And personally after a month of use, I think you should not enable the JOGGR strip for scrolling, just keep it for volume. It is extremely sensitive to touch and if you enable it for scrolling it will lead to crazy situations. ;-)

Kris Kumar
12-06-2006, 12:39 PM
Though the hack to override the TZones button to launch IE or something else might be a good one. ;-)

bshpmark
12-07-2006, 12:41 AM
Well, I did make a few tweaks such as changing the T-Zones button. I tried the Joggr Bar tweak but I kept hitting it and it was taking me into Outlook all the time so I got rid of that one. I changed the cache sizes. I did have to unlock the registry before making any changes though. I will make the changes to allow storage on the MicroSD card as soon as it arrives.

Over all, I am really happy with the Dash. I love the screen. I found a nice black homescreen for use with Facade and Fizz Weather and put that on. Haven't used it on Wi-Fi yet but will this evening while on patrol. Get's awful slow on patrol around 2:00am and there are several unsecured spots around town.

I really like the fact of the memory that the Dash has onboard. I've got a lot of stuff stored on it and still have beaucoup memoray available. The rest will go on the storage card.

triman
12-12-2006, 10:01 AM
bshpmark: which black homescreen are u using with facade and fuzz??

thanks

gillie
12-23-2006, 02:23 AM
What is Facade and Fizz Weather

Kris Kumar
12-27-2006, 03:54 AM
Facade is home screen customization plugin. It is a plugin for the home screen, that allows you to have multiple tabs/views, optimizes real estate on the home screen.

More details:
http://www.sbsh.net/products/facade/

Fizz Weather is an application that enables us to access the weather information/forecast etc. It also has a plugin that can extend the home screen.

More details:
http://www.fizzsoftware.com/products/weather/weather.html

Kris Kumar
12-27-2006, 03:54 AM
Facade is home screen customization plugin. It is a plugin for the home screen, that allows you to have multiple tabs/views, optimizes real estate on the home screen.

More details:
http://www.sbsh.net/products/facade/

Fizz Weather is an application that enables us to access the weather information/forecast etc. It also has a plugin that can extend the home screen.

More details:
http://www.fizzsoftware.com/products/weather/weather.html

Superflyjsc
12-27-2006, 06:20 AM
Hi, if I wanted to download that weather fizz application for my DASH, do I need to have internet connection for this application to be useful? I was curious as to how the weather could update without any internet connection. I would have to pay for any internet use becuase I didnt sign up for any data or internet deals with Tmobile.
Thanks for any help.

Mike Temporale
12-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Hi, if I wanted to download that weather fizz application for my DASH, do I need to have internet connection for this application to be useful? I was curious as to how the weather could update without any internet connection. I would have to pay for any internet use becuase I didnt sign up for any data or internet deals with Tmobile.
Thanks for any help.

Nah, you don't need to update the weather over the air. You can, but you can also tell it to only update when the device connects over ActiveSync.

Superflyjsc
12-27-2006, 05:13 PM
Thanks for any help.

Nah, you don't need to update the weather over the air. You can, but you can also tell it to only update when the device connects over ActiveSync.

If I dont connect my DASh to my PC via Sync each day then how does it update the weather each day? Im figuring the device needs some sort of internet connection to be able to update the weather each day.

Mike Temporale
12-27-2006, 07:08 PM
If I dont connect my DASh to my PC via Sync each day then how does it update the weather each day? Im figuring the device needs some sort of internet connection to be able to update the weather each day.

Right. It can update one of two ways - Over the air to your phone, or via ActiveSync. You will need one of these two methods in order for it to update.

Your comment was that you didn't sign up for a data plan with T-Mo, and my answer addressed how it can update without an data plan. However, there are 2 ways to update it A) over the air (or using your data plan) or B) via activesync.

Superflyjsc
12-28-2006, 04:31 AM
Thank you so much. Everything cleared up now. Just another question about the weather fizz. I am using the trial version right now and so far I havent found much of a good use for it besides the weather forcast. Is there anything else this plugin can do? Do you guys think its worth the money to purchase this?

Also, sorry for the many questions...concerning Fascade, I am using the trial version of that as well and I was wondering if theres a way to edit the mini shortcut icons scroll options? For example, it seems to list a shortcut icon for every application for my phone like a battery level check and a reset icon... Is there a way for me to pick and choose which icons I want to have displayed on my homepage?

Thank You

Mike Temporale
12-28-2006, 04:40 AM
Thank you so much. Everything cleared up now. Just another question about the weather fizz. I am using the trial version right now and so far I havent found much of a good use for it besides the weather forcast. Is there anything else this plugin can do? Do you guys think its worth the money to purchase this?

Check out Fizz Traveller. It's Fizz Weather + a whole lot more. That's what I use.

Jerry Raia
12-28-2006, 05:14 AM
concerning Fascade, I am using the trial version of that as well and I was wondering if theres a way to edit the mini shortcut icons scroll options? For example, it seems to list a shortcut icon for every application for my phone like a battery level check and a reset icon... Is there a way for me to pick and choose which icons I want to have displayed on my homepage?

Thank You

Yes to all of that . :) Facade is very customizable. It will take you a bit of exploring to find all the things you can change to make it how you want. It is a great application.

Superflyjsc
12-29-2006, 12:25 AM
I have tried looking through the options but I havent been able to find it so far. Will I be able to customize facade only by changing registry codes and whatnots? Sorry im not much of a computer whiz.

Superflyjsc
12-29-2006, 12:38 AM
Hi. I just found out how to customize Facade. I was able to successfuly customize the icon buttons up top, however is there a way for the DASH to be able to bring up the mini icon launchers by most recently used like it does without facade installed? Thanks

bshpmark
12-29-2006, 05:39 AM
If you go into Facade Settings, select the MENU. One of the items is PLUG-INS. One of the optional plug-ins is called SP MRU for Most Recently Used. If you check that box, your Most Recently Used programs will also show up on the Homescreen in addition to the Facade Launcher icons. You will end up with two rows.

algorhythm
01-11-2007, 04:44 AM
I =know= I've seen this somewhere, but now I can't find it. Does anyone know the Registry edit to turn off autotext complete on the DASH?

It's useful on a T9 device. With a full querty device, it's just plain annoying.

triman
01-14-2007, 10:12 AM
I tried to do Kris Kumar's trip of switching the function of the 't-mobile' button. I have thd dopod version of the dash so the button i'm changing is actually the camera.lnk file. When i went to replace the .lnk file in the phone, it said that it was a system file and was protected. I tried checking the properties menu to uncheck the protected box, but it was grey'ed out... Any ideas on how to unllock it so that i can replace it?

Gavino1212
01-14-2007, 06:17 PM
If you go into Facade Settings, select the MENU. One of the items is PLUG-INS. One of the optional plug-ins is called SP MRU for Most Recently Used. If you check that box, your Most Recently Used programs will also show up on the Homescreen in addition to the Facade Launcher icons. You will end up with two rows.

I tried looking at the plug in selections and didn't find a SP MRU option. :(

Initially, the Handy Weather plug-in showed in my Facade home screen, but after tinkering with it to see what it could do, the HW plug-in disappeared from the screen!! The program is still there, and I have it as a button on top, but can't seem to get it back as a plug-in.

What happened? :| :?: :!:

hotelier
11-08-2007, 05:43 PM
I've been able to change the color of my Soft Keys through Registry edits. However, everytime I Reboot my T-Mobile Dash, the Color reverts to the previous color.

I'm assuming that something in my Theme settings is overriding this color but can't seem to ascertain where this is.

Does anyone have a solution.

Thanks

e_dogg
11-12-2007, 07:05 PM
Kris,

I've had a Dash on T-Mobile for awhile but just moved into an area where T-Mobile's coverage isn't so great. I love the phone but need to move to AT&T or Verizon.

Do all of the features on your unlocked Dash work while on the AT&T network? Do internet connectivity and email functions work fine without any tweaking?

Mike Temporale
11-13-2007, 02:39 AM
Do all of the features on your unlocked Dash work while on the AT&T network? Do internet connectivity and email functions work fine without any tweaking?

Everything outside of the T-Mo Favs should work just fine.

e_dogg
11-13-2007, 04:31 AM
Awesome news! Thanks Mike!

Gavino1212
11-30-2007, 02:50 AM
I have been using the Dash on the Cingular network for almost a week now. It has been working without a hitch.

But you can't use 3g with the Dash can you? is their EDGE faster than T-Mobile's? I've both carriers and plan on dropping one as it is rather spendy to hang on to both.

If the Shadow were 3g capable, but I'm really looking quite possibly at the Blackjack2.

Kris Kumar
12-01-2007, 09:45 PM
But you can't use 3g with the Dash can you? is their EDGE faster than T-Mobile's? I've both carriers and plan on dropping one as it is rather spendy to hang on to both.

You are right Dash is not a 3G device. I believe the EDGE speed on Cingular is faster than T-Mobile's. After the iPhone launch, AT&T bumped up their EDGE speed.

You have choice of BlackJack II and Q9 Global on AT&T.

KiLLiN-TiMe
12-28-2007, 04:46 PM
I have a question that has been driving me crazy.

Is there a way to set the volume of the ear piece so that it starts every call at full volume? Every time I place a call I have to turn up the volume with the scroll pad on the side. And we all know how well that works...

Would be much nicer if it would start at full and then if I needed to I could turn it down.
I keep thinking there has to be a way to set this... but I can't seem to find it!

Thanks in advance...
KT

KiLLiN-TiMe
12-29-2007, 02:45 PM
I have a question that has been driving me crazy.

Is there a way to set the volume of the ear piece so that it starts every call at full volume? Every time I place a call I have to turn up the volume with the scroll pad on the side. And we all know how well that works...

Would be much nicer if it would start at full and then if I needed to I could turn it down.
I keep thinking there has to be a way to set this... but I can't seem to find it!

Thanks in advance...
KT

Anyone know???