View Full Version : ActiveSync error: Can't sync my Samsung i320N

glaucobg
11-03-2006, 02:11 AM
Just got my new Samsung i320N and every time I try to sync it, via USB port, my desktop computer (Win XP SP2 - brazilian portuguese) resets. Tried on another Win XP computer and the same thing happened. It happens right after ActiveSync starts and pops up a message saying something like "Retrieving (or receiving) configuration". Then i see my Bios screen coming up, and my WinXP restarting again.

When I plug the device in the USB port, Win XP recognizes it, install its driver and tells me it's ready to be used. Then ActiveSync is automaticaly opened and... guess what?? Restart again. The phone keeps normal, without any message. Same thing happened with ActiveSync 4.1, 4.2 and 4.5b (reseting the computer after each instalation).

My computer bluetooth adaptor is still coming, so no bluetooth sync for while.

HELP ME PLEASE!!
Thanks.

Mike Temporale
11-03-2006, 04:47 AM
Please don't cross post your messages in our forums. I have removed the other thread. Let's keep ann the discussion in one place. ;)

Sounds to me like there's something wrong on your desktop. Perhaps a short? or maybe just a simple faulty connector inside your desktop.

Kris Kumar
11-03-2006, 06:03 AM
Tried on another Win XP computer and the same thing happened.

I too would like to blame the computer, but amazed that two computers show the same problem. I would have blamed messed up driver install on the PC but two PCs having the same problem is odd.

Do you have access to another Smartphone or Pocket PC device? At the very least, do you have another USB sync cable?

Or maybe you have no option but to wait for the Bluetooth sync.

Jerry Raia
11-03-2006, 06:29 AM
Wonder if it has something to do with the language pack. Was the other PC you used the same language?

glaucobg
11-03-2006, 03:19 PM
Tried on another Win XP computer and the same thing happened.

I too would like to blame the computer, but amazed that two computers show the same problem. I would have blamed messed up driver install on the PC but two PCs having the same problem is odd.

Do you have access to another Smartphone or Pocket PC device? At the very least, do you have another USB sync cable?

Or maybe you have no option but to wait for the Bluetooth sync.

I had a Toshiba e805, and it was working fine with ActiveSync.

I don't have another USB sync cable, but the same cable works well when I use the phone as a storage card.

I'm totally lost!

glaucobg
11-03-2006, 03:25 PM
Wonder if it has something to do with the language pack. Was the other PC you used the same language?

Yes, the other PC has the same language, brazilian portuguese, but i've never seen a sync problem caused by language incompatibility in any forum.

Anyway, i'll try another PC with a english windows. I'll try everything i can do. :?

Thanks.

Jerry Raia
11-03-2006, 03:30 PM
It is just a stab in the dark. Eliminate as many things as possible.

glaucobg
11-03-2006, 03:31 PM
Please don't cross post your messages in our forums. I have removed the other thread. Let's keep ann the discussion in one place. ;)

Sounds to me like there's something wrong on your desktop. Perhaps a short? or maybe just a simple faulty connector inside your desktop.

Ok Mike, sorry for the inconvinience. Keeping things in one place is realy better.

But, regarding to the faulty connector... i don't think so, as i already tried another computer and nothing happened.

Thanks.

Kris Kumar
11-04-2006, 04:21 AM
If it happens with the English desktop also, then I would say it is time to hard-reset the Smartphone. What do you think guys?

Jerry Raia
11-04-2006, 05:56 AM
Yeah that would be my next suggestion as well. :(

glaucobg
11-04-2006, 04:31 PM
If it happens with the English desktop also, then I would say it is time to hard-reset the Smartphone. What do you think guys?

Tried hard-reset too but nothing changed. Already tried to disable internet conection, close all programs but AS, disable windows firewall. I still didn't try an English desktop, i'll do it ASAP.

I'm starting to think it's a hardware problem. But how does it sync as a Storage Card (configured in the phone) but not under ActiveSync mode? This is making me crazy.

IMO i have 3 options:

1. It's a problem with a non-english desktop;

2. It's a problem with the USB driver windows automatically installs (Tried to install the driver that comes in the installation CD, but windows refuses it and keeps its own driver. I think it's because the CD driver is older.)

3. Is a hardware problem (then i have a real problem).

Sorry guys, but i have to tell you my i320 history (off-topic) just to share my panic (i think i'd feel more relaxed by sharing this with you):

1. I bought it at eXpansys for US$ 839 (phone + accessories + shipping from USA to Brazil), wich is a little expensive. After two weeks, when the package arrived at a brazilian govern place where they randomly picks up the packages to charge the taxes, mine was chosen. So I payed more US$ 235.

2. One week later, when the package arrived my house, i realized they forgot to send me the USB bluetooth adaptor i bought. Already advised them by email. Let's see what they'll do. The other items in the package seemed ok, but...

3. When i tried to sync my i320... don't need to tell.

(4) (This number 4 may occur, and thats why i'm worried) IF this is a hardware problem and it does not solve when the USB bluetooth adaptor comes (by bluetooth syncing), i'll have to return the phone and pay the shipping (and waste some more money with this expensive buy i did).

Sorry, again, for the big text this guys (and for the english mistakes too), if this is not allowed here, tell me please.

Jerry Raia
11-04-2006, 04:42 PM
Your English is better than a lot of natives here, don't worry about it. :D

I don't know why the language pack thing keeps popping up in my head. Is there anyway you can get to an English machine? I just think that one should be eliminated at least as a cause. I'm probably wrong but it is worth a try.

Kris Kumar
11-04-2006, 04:59 PM
But how does it sync as a Storage Card (configured in the phone) but not under ActiveSync mode? This is making me crazy.

Interesting, so there is a setting on the phone to make it show up on the desktop as a storage card?

I wonder if there is a setting on the device or a special driver that needs to be installed on the desktop. Does the user guide says anything like that. I am sure you have probably checked it out. :)

2. It's a problem with the USB driver windows automatically installs (Tried to install the driver that comes in the installation CD, but windows refuses it and keeps its own driver. I think it's because the CD driver is older.)

So you have already tried it. Bummer..

3. Is a hardware problem (then i have a real problem).

I hope its not, you went thru a lot of trouble to buy this unit, even had to pay the import duty. Ouch!

Sorry guys, but i have to tell you my i320 history (off-topic) just to share my panic (i think i'd feel more relaxed by sharing this with you):

I feel sorry for not being able to help out. :oops:

Sorry, again, for the big text this guys (and for the english mistakes too), if this is not allowed here, tell me please.

That should be the least of your worries. :) If we really new how 2 spel then we wud have been contributing editurs for New York Times. :lol:

Jerry Raia
11-04-2006, 05:07 PM
If we really new how 2 spel then we wud have been contributing editurs for New York Times. :lol:

That hurt Kris. That will cost you another Garbage Plate! :lol:

glaucobg
11-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Seems like i'm not the only one having problems when syncing a Samsung i320 bought from eXpansys/MobilePlanet... see the link below, from their forum:

http://www.expansys.com/ft.aspx?i=130798&thread=15

Unfortunately, nobody solved the problem. Maybe i own a phone returned by someone. Who knows? :(

Mike Temporale
11-06-2006, 05:42 AM
Odd, I've had no problems sync'ing my i320. Perhaps you should contact Samsung or Expansys for a replacement?

glaucobg
11-13-2006, 11:08 PM
Thanks God!! I finally synchronized my phone!! :lol: Just plugged it on my work pc and it worked fine.

Then, in a few days, my bluetooth adapter arrived and i synchronized it at home too.

Just don't know why it doesn't work via usb sync, at home. Mystery!!!

Anyway... now its (almost) a fully functional phone. :D

Thank you guys, for the efforts.

Kris Kumar
11-13-2006, 11:24 PM
awesome :-)

Mike Temporale
11-14-2006, 03:24 AM
Wow... I wish we had a better reason for the pain.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear it's working for you. 8)

Jerry Raia
11-14-2006, 03:41 AM
Wow... I wish we had a better reason for the pain.

Let me tell you about pain! 8O