View Full Version : SDA Memory - I'm ready to smash this @#$%& phone!

algorhythm
10-30-2006, 06:28 PM
No matter what I do, I still get the stupid "low on memory" warning. I don't get it.

I've installed the hack to move all email attachments and IE files to my (1GB) storage card. I don't do music or video on the phone (I prefer an ipod). I don't play games on it. I just use it for phone and email.

I don't have a lot of extra stuff on it. Yet every time I get an email with an attachment of more than 1MB, I get this stupid alert. :evil:

I just bought this phone 6 months ago, and as much as I'd like to trash it, that's a tough sell to my (non-geek) wife.

Is there a way to find out what's taking up my memory and clean it out? I'm ready to "accidently" drop this sucker off a building!

Mike Temporale
10-30-2006, 07:01 PM
Did you hard reset the phone when you got it? It's possible that the last owner left some things on it that are taking up valueable space.

Also, you might just want to browse around the device from FileManager on your PC and see if there's any large files hanging around in easy to find places. :?

algorhythm
10-30-2006, 07:08 PM
I'm the original owner, and yup, I've hard reset it a couple of times just to get rid of my own experiments. (that reminds me....need to see if Sprite backup supports WM5 yet....)

One big challenge is that I'm on a Mac. I use Missing Sync, which is quite good, but I haven't found any overly large files. Guess I'm going to try my XP machine and AS...maybe it'll see something the Mac missed.

(Sigh....) can't I find ONE phone I don't hate as much as I love....?

Jerry Raia
10-30-2006, 08:07 PM
need to see if Sprite backup supports WM5 yet....)

If it is any consolation, it does now. :)

algorhythm
10-30-2006, 08:47 PM
That's good....meanwhile I can't find any humongoid files sucking up my memory, even on the Win machine. I'm becoming increasingly convinced this phone sux. :cry: Too bad, since in general it's not a bad one. Several of my Mac Geek friends are trying to convince me to get a crackberry, but I just....can't....do it....!

freemans
10-30-2006, 10:39 PM
sounds like you need to hard reset your device then tweek the reg keys to chenge saving grocessory thing to your card, I will find out the keys post here later, you can have a try.

I have Sprite Backup on my sm phone, and WM5 is suported since quite a time ago. It will make sure you will get back to healthy when it screws itself up. :)

freemans
10-30-2006, 10:43 PM
all right, you could try these:

http://www.modaco.com/Useful-Tweaks...do-t230056.html

Or maybe a mem-maid could help

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=2977

Then Use Sprite Backup to ensure no accidents.

http://www.spritesoftware.com

jeffreybluml
10-31-2006, 01:36 PM
This may be a silly question, but your storage card isn't getting mounted as Storage Card2, is it?

That would be way too easy...

How large are your mail databases...the .vol files in the root (top level) directory?

I use an SDA and love it, now that I've got everything just so...

Sprite is a lifesaver though, as hard freezes are certainly unaviodable once in awhile, sad as that may be...

Good luck,

algorhythm
10-31-2006, 09:06 PM
Well I somehow managed to cold boot the #$%%^* phone last night....the dangers of playing with stuff when you're way too tired. :roll: So now at least I'm starting with a clean slate. Even with just my Contacts (admittedly over 1000 but still....) and Sprite Backup installed, it's light on RAM....this time I'm installing as many things as possible on the card.

Blackberry Pearl is starting to look good....oh wait, it's also got 64M memory.

freemans
10-31-2006, 10:53 PM
Smartphones have small amount of memory and slower processor, so treat the memory nicely. Good Luck! :)

Kris Kumar
10-31-2006, 11:22 PM
Couple of tricks that always works for me...

- number one defaulter is IE cache. I would clear that first. But this is too easy.
- number two culprit is the ActiveSync based program install mechanism. Check the \Windows\AppMgr\Install, if there are any CAB files lying around. When a program install fails, the CAB gets left behind over here. Clean this folder.

Also check the size of \Windows\AppMgr using a File Manager application on the device. Depending on the number of applications that you have installed, this folder might be taking up too much space.

Kris Kumar
10-31-2006, 11:23 PM
And please don't smash the SDA. I know the feeling.

I am seeing something strange where my Smartphone seems to forget the time everytime I power off and power on.

jeffreybluml
11-01-2006, 03:15 PM
Agreed.

I am running with as little ram as I am comfortable, and it took some compromises to get there.

Basically, everything that's going to start automatically at boot (facade for the homescreen, fizz weather, autokeylock, etc), I install to the main memory. That way
1) if my card mounts wrong, the homescreen will still get displayed and
2) I think this reduces the chances of the card getting mounted too late and coming up as storage card2.

Then, everything else goes on the card. Currently, I run with only 4.1M free main memory...about as low as I want it to get...

Good luck,

algorhythm
11-04-2006, 06:10 AM
Well guys, your replies pretty much confirm I've been doing all the right things....it's not me, it's the phone.

Y'know how you get to a point with any computer, especially Windows-based ones, where you just decide it's easier to reformat and start over than to hunt for the elusive problem? So I cold booted the phone. Then I installed Smartphone Notes, Sprite Backup and Jeyo Personalizer...that's all. And I installed them all to the Storage Card. Then I sync'ed my contacts (~1200 names), Calendar and Task list from Entourage (Mac version of Outlook).

The next morning I grabbed my email and got....a low memory message.

:cry:

No, I won't smash it. I won't get a Blackberry either...aside from all the different-OS issues, it's also only got 64MB.

So....what can I say? Can anyone recommend a Smartphone that can do all or most of what the SDA can do =and= has more (or upgradable) memory =and= a small form factor?

Kris Kumar
11-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Have you checked the amount of space taken by \Windows\AppMgr folder contents?

Also what is the size of the .vol files in the root?

I would recommend looking at the My Documents folder and making sure there are no photos or audio files, like ringtones.

Also the same goes for the Application Data folder, check for ringtones that you don't need. I remember that on the 2125 there was one file for the Cingular's ringtone which was pretty big like a Meg or more.

jeffreybluml
11-04-2006, 04:28 PM
If your post is accurate, then you forgot to install the tweak to put your emails on the storage card. That's probably why you still got the low memory warning...

Try again but do the IE and Mail on the storage card tweak BEFORE you get your emails...

Good luck,

Not sure on other smartphones with more on-board memory. Check the news releases here and on Modaco.com, I think there is one but can't remember...

Mark Larson
11-04-2006, 08:36 PM
Get a 3125. Sell your SDA on ebay and just pay the difference. Can't be more than $50-100. Don't smash your phone, tempting as that may be. :)

Jerry Raia
11-04-2006, 08:46 PM
I love the 3125. Do it, Do it! :lol:

ditch_azeroth
11-07-2006, 06:30 AM
try to install most of your apps (if not all of it) on your storage card. i try my best to keep at least 5MB free on my phone memory at any given time... to avoid this problem ^_^

algorhythm
11-12-2006, 08:41 PM
To sum it up....after installing almost everything on the Storage Card, reinsalling the IE/attachments tweak (forgot to mention it), and still ending up with memory alerts.....I'm spending the 14-day pre-nuptuals period with the DASH. :wink: