View Full Version : Microsoft ActioveSync error

promano
10-29-2006, 06:05 PM
I've searched for this and I can't find a post.

My Cingular 3125 phone and Active Sync are working fine.
My problem is when Active Sync starts up.

If my phone is not connected to the PC when Windows starts,
Active Sync tells me there are no Comm Ports / InfraRed ports available,
which is true, because I don't use them and have them disabled.
I setup Active Sync to use the USB port.
If I cancel Active Sync setup, Active Sync asks me if I want to disable using the Serial / InfraRed ports.
I go throught the steps and disable them.

But the very next time I reboot Windows or restart the PC,
whenever my Cingualr 3125 is not connected, I keep getting this error.

Is there a registry tweak to stop this insanity ???

Jerry Raia
10-29-2006, 06:42 PM
Are you by any chance using, or have used Bluetooth to sync at one time or another?

promano
10-29-2006, 08:26 PM
Are you by any chance using, or have used Bluetooth to sync at one time or another?

I only use Bluetooth for my speakerphone.
I have never used Bluetooth for Syncing.

Jerry Raia
10-29-2006, 08:36 PM
I used to get that all the time but only when Bluetooth wasn't working. In my case it was trying to find the com port that BT had used. Maybe deleting and re establishing the partnership might clear it up. A hassle I know, it would be the first thing I would try.

promano
10-29-2006, 10:29 PM
I used to get that all the time but only when Bluetooth wasn't working. In my case it was trying to find the com port that BT had used. Maybe deleting and re establishing the partnership might clear it up. A hassle I know, it would be the first thing I would try.

I've already tried that and it didn't help.
I even deleted the partnership, and deleted AS only to reinstall everything from the CD and then update it.

Still does it...

Jerry Raia
10-29-2006, 10:42 PM
I just reread your original post. When you say you disabled your comm ports do you mean in the BIOS?

promano
10-30-2006, 01:27 AM
I just reread your original post. When you say you disabled your comm ports do you mean in the BIOS?

Yes.

Jerry Raia
10-30-2006, 03:40 AM
Hmmm, interesting. It looks like active sync looks for those ports whether it needs them or not. That's silly! You are the first person I have seen with that issue. Do you really need the resources of those ports that you have to disable them?

promano
10-30-2006, 05:58 AM
I can see where this is going....

I have been using a Smartphone on the same PC for the last 2.5 years.
The Smartphone I was using was the SMT5600.
It worked with AS 3.7, 3.8, 4.0 and 4.2 without any problems.
During this ENTIRE TIME, I never had any Serial Ports or Parallel ports enabled in my BIOS.
I don't use them, so I don't enable them.

I switched to the Cingular 3125 when it was immediately released in September.
I have had the 3125 for almost 6 weeks, and this is the FIRST AS incident I have had.

My PC is an INTEL Pentium 4 Prescott 3.20E GHz processor running on an INTEL D875PBZ motherboard
with 2GB of Corsair PC3200 DDR2 RAM. This PC is used for Work, Play, and Internet.

Jerry Raia
10-30-2006, 06:05 AM
OK that just about emptied my idea bucket. We'll see if anyone else here has any thoughts.

Mike Temporale
10-30-2006, 04:40 PM
In ActiveSync have you turned off the "Allow connections to one of the following: COMx" ? If that's still turned on, then I could see this happening. It's under connection settings.

promano
10-30-2006, 04:47 PM
In ActiveSync have you turned off the "Allow connections to one of the following: COMx" ? If that's still turned on, then I could see this happening. It's under connection settings.

I've tried that too.
Whether its checked or not, it still generates the error message.

This morning, it didn't do it.
So now it's got a mind of its own...