View Full Version : Any way to add phrases to the auto-text feature?

Argelius
10-27-2006, 04:18 PM
Does anyone know of an application that will allow you to add phrases to the auto-text feature?

For example, if I type "goi..." I'd like "going to" to show up as a choice.

Thanks!

(I have a TMo Dash)

Mike Temporale
10-27-2006, 04:57 PM
The XT9 feature should help auto-complete words, but I don't think it will help with phrases. :?

Argelius
10-27-2006, 06:07 PM
Thanks. One more tangentially-related question -- is there any way to make the phone enter a space after you select one of the auto-compete words? Sort of annoying it doesn't do that automatically...

Mike Temporale
10-27-2006, 07:03 PM
Thanks. One more tangentially-related question -- is there any way to make the phone enter a space after you select one of the auto-compete words? Sort of annoying it doesn't do that automatically...

There is. It all has to do with the way you accept the word. I don't have one so I could be wrong on exactly how this works. If I recall, moving right on the navigation pad will select the word and add a space, push enter on the navigation pad (or keyboard I think) will just to the word. Again, I could be wrong on which does what but it is possible. Please try it out and let us know which it is for sure. Thanks!

Argelius
10-27-2006, 07:29 PM
moving right on the navigation pad will select the word and add a space, push enter on the navigation pad (or keyboard I think) will just to the word. Again, I could be wrong on which does what but it is possible. Please try it out and let us know which it is for sure. Thanks!

Here's what appears to happen on the Dash:

[1] Selecting the word with either the return key or the select/center key on the navigation pad selects the word, but puts no space.

[2] If you move right with the navigation pad, it just moves to the next word choice, so that wont work.

Hhhmmmm......

Mike Temporale
10-27-2006, 08:17 PM
try hitting space once you have the word selected instead of enter.

Argelius
10-28-2006, 04:08 PM

I tired that. It's a little easier, although still not quite what it should be.

When you select the word with the space, the word gets selected, but no space gets inserted. It's not too difficult to press the space bar twice in succession (first to select word; the second to add a space), so it does save a bit of time.

Still, though, there should be a setting that allows you to have a space automatically inserted after the word is selected with the navigation pad. Alas, it's not the most inconvenient of things one encounters in life...

Jerry Raia
10-28-2006, 05:38 PM
The Q will actually guess the next word based on what you have input previously. For example if you had typed "I like the way you smell", the next time you start "I like..." it will bring up "the". If you accept that word it will bring up "way" etc. Not exactly what you were originally asking but close, at least on the Q.

Argelius
10-28-2006, 06:32 PM
The Q will actually guess the next word based on what you have input previously. For example if you had typed "I like the way you smell", the next time you start "I like..." it will bring up "the". If you accept that word it will bring up "way" etc. Not exactly what you were originally asking but close, at least on the Q.

I've starting to notice that behavior on my dash now that it is learning from my typing... a little confusing at first but I think im getting the hang of it.

Argelius
10-28-2006, 06:38 PM

When you select the word with the space, the word gets selected, but no space gets inserted. It's not too difficult to press the space bar twice in succession (first to select word; the second to add a space), so it does save a bit of time.

Still, though, there should be a setting that allows you to have a space automatically inserted after the word is selected with the navigation pad. Alas, it's not the most inconvenient of things one encounters in life...

just figured out something: the space bar thing works when composing an email, but I not when working in a web form (like I am doing now)

Argelius
10-28-2006, 06:53 PM

just figured out something: the space bar thing works when composing an email, but I not when working in a web form (like I am doing now)

Mike Temporale
10-29-2006, 01:33 AM

Cool. Glad to see it works someplace! ;)

Too bad it doesn't work in the web form. Is there a chance that you're in a different text input mode? I'm not sure how to toggle that on the Dash, usually it's press and hold on the * and a menu will pop up. Check what input mode is set on in email and then compare that when you're in IE.

Argelius
10-29-2006, 02:10 PM
Is there a chance that you're in a different text input mode? I'm not sure how to toggle that on the Dash, usually it's press and hold on the * and a menu will pop up. Check what input mode is set on in email and then compare that when you're in IE.

I doubled checked and it is as I originally described. Everything else seems to work find in web forms except the space-bar selection maneuver.

I'm a total gadget whore/tramp and am just loving my Dash. I thought it'd feel like a step backwards after having a PocketPC (as opposed to SmartPhone) phone. But actually, the non-touch screen OS is actually in many ways easier to use.

Loving my newfound relationship with smartphonethoughts -- lots of great information here!

Mike Temporale
10-30-2006, 03:55 PM
I'm a total gadget whore/tramp and am just loving my Dash. I thought it'd feel like a step backwards after having a PocketPC (as opposed to SmartPhone) phone. But actually, the non-touch screen OS is actually in many ways easier to use.

8) YES! I feel the same way, but for some reason, PPC users are afraid that they won't be able to get by without a touch screen. :roll:

Loving my newfound relationship with smartphonethoughts -- lots of great information here!

And we love having you here! :oops: :wink:

Jerry Raia
10-30-2006, 04:08 PM
PPC users are afraid that they won't be able to get by without a touch screen. :roll:

They are weak! 8)

ditch_azeroth
11-07-2006, 06:16 AM
another thing you could do is edit your "my text" phrases (right menu+4 on text menu). also, you can add/edit words on your t9 by running "T9MyWord.exe" (it should be located in the \windows\T9MyWord.exe). hope this helps ^_^

Argelius
11-07-2006, 01:13 PM
another thing you could do is edit your "my text" phrases (right menu+4 on text menu). also, you can add/edit words on your t9 by running "T9MyWord.exe" (it should be located in the \windows\T9MyWord.exe). hope this helps ^_^

Excellent. Thanks!

Argelius
11-07-2006, 02:44 PM
... you can add/edit words on your t9 by running "T9MyWord.exe" (it should be located in the \windows\T9MyWord.exe). hope this helps ^_^

hmmmm...couldn'tfind it. perhaps since the Dash uses xt9 it doesn't have that file...

would be great, though, to add my own words to the dictionary...

zilla31
11-18-2006, 08:09 PM
... you can add/edit words on your t9 by running "T9MyWord.exe" (it should be located in the \windows\T9MyWord.exe). hope this helps ^_^

hmmmm...couldn'tfind it. perhaps since the Dash uses xt9 it doesn't have that file...

would be great, though, to add my own words to the dictionary...

anyone have any luck figuring out the app to edit the dictionary on the dash? not only do I want to add words, I have quite a few typos I want to delete now too :)

Argelius
11-18-2006, 09:55 PM
anyone have any luck figuring out the app to edit the dictionary on the dash? not only do I want to add words, I have quite a few typos I want to delete now too :)

Unfortunately, I haven't found anything. I used to have a regular PocketPC and there are a number of applications for those. I have tried them on my Smarphone but theydont work...

Hw6945
11-30-2006, 06:42 PM
Space or No Space after word completion??
This works on the ppc phones:
Start Menu / Settings / Input / Word Completion - check box for "Add a space after suggested word"
Is there something like this in the Smartphone settings???
Ron...

Mike Temporale
12-01-2006, 03:36 AM
Space or No Space after word completion??
This works on the ppc phones:
Start Menu / Settings / Input / Word Completion - check box for "Add a space after suggested word"
Is there something like this in the Smartphone settings???
Ron...

Nope.

Hw6945
12-01-2006, 05:33 AM
"Nope." :?:
Sad. Very sad. :(