View Full Version : Battery life on Moto Q

2rvr
10-26-2006, 06:02 PM
I didn't expect great battery life out of the Moto Q when I bought it, but what I'm seeing is just terrible. Verizon claims the Moto Q has, Talk Time: up to 234 mins (1130 mAh), StandBy Time: up to 212 hrs. (1130 mAh).

Except, in a 12 hour day my Q completely drains 2 times. With very minimal usage, maybe 5 minutes using the web browser, checking email 2-3 times and talking for 10 minutes or so. Is anyone else experiencing such a terrible battery life with their Q?

Mike Temporale
10-26-2006, 06:26 PM
Sounds like something is chewing up your power. You might want to try turning down your backlight settings, and reducing the frequency you poll for new email.

Also, things to consider:

- have you installed any programs that may still be running in the background and wasting CPU time. Most applications know better, but some don't and if they are still running and using system cycles, it would impact your battery life.

- When you say the battery is drained, how are you coming to this conclusion? Is the device warning you of low battery? or is the indicator down to one bar? You'll be surprised to know that 1 bar on the battery is still around 40% power.

2rvr
10-26-2006, 07:56 PM
I use outlook for email, and have it set to never check for messages. It should only update when I manually click send/receive. I just checked the task manager and I had a pocket msn server running, that may have been a problem. Other than that, only ClientShell.exe, Settings, Tasks and the account name on my outlook is running according to the task manager.

When I say the battery is drained, it's definately drained. Everytime, it gives me the low battery warning, and many times shuts off before I get a chance to plug it in. But it does get fully charged very quickly, maybe an hour or so.

Mike Temporale
10-26-2006, 08:27 PM
MSN shouldn't be an issue. That's just your browser sitting open in the background. No biggie.

When I say the battery is drained, it's definately drained. Everytime, it gives me the low battery warning, and many times shuts off before I get a chance to plug it in. But it does get fully charged very quickly, maybe an hour or so.

Hrm, that doesn't sound right. Either the battery is no good, or it's not charging it correctly. Plug it in and leave it for a good couple hours - or overnight if possible. Then see how long the charge lasts. If you don't see an increase, then I would say something is wrong with the battery/device.

Jerry Raia
10-27-2006, 04:22 AM
I've seen the standard battery run down pretty quick. That is why I recommend the extended battery. It doesn't make the Q that much fatter either. When I use the standard battery I am usually around AC outlets and pug it in whenever possible. The other day I left it unplugged for most of the day and with push turned on, in about 8 hours I was down to 25% battery left. Not so good.

onlydarksets
10-27-2006, 01:26 PM
I've seen the standard battery run down pretty quick. That is why I recommend the extended battery. It doesn't make the Q that much fatter either. When I use the standard battery I am usually around AC outlets and pug it in whenever possible. The other day I left it unplugged for most of the day and with push turned on, in about 8 hours I was down to 25% battery left. Not so good.

The extended battery actually makes it a little easier to hold. I found the standard battery provided no contours to grip.

Mike Temporale
10-27-2006, 01:37 PM
But would you guys say his expereince is normal for the standard battery? or should he be getting a little more out of it?

onlydarksets
10-27-2006, 01:41 PM
But would you guys say his expereince is normal for the standard battery? or should he be getting a little more out of it?

Unfortunately, this is the norm for most people. I can't get through the day on the extended battery without at least going to 2 bars. I would say my total standby (i.e., no automatic checking email, no usage) time is closer to 60-80 hours.

Jerry Raia
10-27-2006, 01:57 PM

From my limited experience using the battery all day I can see that being the norm.

Mike Temporale
10-27-2006, 02:07 PM
:crazyeyes: alright... so it's worse than I thought.

onlydarksets - don't be fooled by two bars in the battery indicator. That's still a fair amount of charge. When the device drops to 1 bar, you still have 40% remaining.

Anyway, so I was mistaken and it's worse than I had expected. sorry. :?

2rvr
10-28-2006, 04:16 AM
Hmm... well I closed the msn server (I don't use msn for anything, so it may have been trying to update something constantly). I seemed to have gotten decent battery life today with my normal usage (about 8hrs rather than ~5).

I am planning on getting the extended battery for days when I need to use it more and/or won't be able to plug it in. I noticed the extended battery is only $25 ($15 cheaper than the normal one) at Verizon. That's odd, isn't it?

onlydarksets
10-28-2006, 06:31 AM
Hmm... well I closed the msn server (I don't use msn for anything, so it may have been trying to update something constantly). I seemed to have gotten decent battery life today with my normal usage (about 8hrs rather than ~5).

I am planning on getting the extended battery for days when I need to use it more and/or won't be able to plug it in. I noticed the extended battery is only $25 ($15 cheaper than the normal one) at Verizon. That's odd, isn't it?

Normally yes, but Moto knows that the battery life sucks, and has been offering the extended battery for cheap for the past few months.

Jerry Raia
10-28-2006, 06:45 AM
When I got my Q they practically forced the extended battery into my hands! :lol:

2rvr
11-06-2006, 07:27 AM
I picked up an extended battery. With my normal usage, I now get about 12 hours to the battery instead of 8. I kind of like the extended battery cover, it does make it easier to hold onto. Might have to get one or two more extended batteries as long as they are cheap.

Jerry Raia
11-06-2006, 07:35 AM
The extended battery is a must have item!

Mike Temporale
11-07-2006, 03:24 AM
I'm still shocked at just how bad the Q is. What where they thinking. :roll:

Jerry Raia
11-07-2006, 03:34 AM
I just wonder what kind of use testing is done before hand.

RodSanford
05-29-2007, 03:36 PM
Oh, the battery life is poor...I have both the original battery and the new and "improved" battery...they are both dead by early evening, even after a whole night of charging the night before...to combat this I have a car charger, a wall charger at the office and home, and a USB cable for my computer....I can keep the phone alive this way.

I too am not happy with the battery life...nothing other than the OS that came with it installed, set to receive only when new mail comes into the Exchange server...but both batteries seem to have the same life in this phone...maybe we have bad phones?!