View Full Version : Will the Smartphone Kill the PC?

Jerry Raia
10-20-2006, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://mobileopportunity.blogspot.com/2006/10/will-smartphone-kill-pc.html' target='_blank'>http://mobileopportunity.blogspot.com/2006/10/will-smartphone-kill-pc.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"...A PC, at its heart, is about information creation. The keyboard, mouse or trackpad, large screen, and large memory are all there because they're needed to manipulate words and images and numbers – spreadsheets, written documents, presentations, graphics, and databases. Despite all the hoopla about browsing and games and e-mail, creating and editing information is still the core use of the PC...Mobile devices are built around a different type of usage. They're all about information and communication access while you're on the go..."</i><br /><br />I clipped out what I thought was the essence of this article, which I agree with. I don't see the PC being replaced by anything in the foreseeable future. However, it made me wonder, is there anyone out there who only has a Smartphone and no PC? I would love to hear from you. As good as the Q is at entering data and browsing the web, I find it very far from being any kind of PC replacement. If you just used a Smartphone for real basic things like email and simple web access from time to time, could you do without a PC entirely?

track5200
10-20-2006, 08:10 PM
I think a better question would be...

"Does your smartphone replace your notebook?"

I definitely need my desktop PC with or without my SP, but I can do alot more without my notebook now that I have a SP. I still need my notebook occasionally, but I don't take it home every night like I did pre SP

Mark Kenepp
10-20-2006, 08:32 PM
I just wanted some fries 8)

Mike Temporale
10-20-2006, 09:14 PM
I agree with what Michael Mace says on this one, the PC or laptop is about creating content. Even though my Smartphone has a Qwerty keypad, I can't sit down and pound off a 300_ word review using it. I need a bigger screen and a bigger keyboard to be truly productive.

Perhaps someday, but not anytime soon.

ctmagnus
10-20-2006, 09:30 PM
I find that devices of this type are wonderful for data retrieval but suck like a hoover for data input. It's advancing, but it's still not as efficient as a full-size qwerty keyboard.

Now where are my fries?

Jerry Raia
10-20-2006, 11:10 PM
I didn't think the fries would be that popular! :lol:

HalM
10-21-2006, 12:09 AM
IMHO it is 1986 all over, but instead of PC's it is Smartphones.

I don't think we are very far away from the Smartphone / Pocket PC replacing the PC for the average user. About the time 4G becomes wide spread is the time line I envision. I think we will also need faster processors, better batteries and most importantly a "docking station" so we can, in fact, sit down at our desks and pound out the daily MS Office type documents. Certain power users will clearly need traditional PC's but the average worker will be fine with a Smartphone.

Kris Kumar
10-21-2006, 04:18 AM
...most importantly a "docking station"...

Yes, that is the only way Smartphones can replace PCs in the future, with a docking station. We already have Bluetooth keyboards; we need Bluetooth displays or maybe some wired contraption.

Of course, faster processor, complete Office suite etc are necessary but it is a matter of time.

Looking at OQO, similar Sony variants and Microsoft's UMPC designs, we can see that in the near future we will have Windows XP like OS running on thin-light-mobile devices. But we will always need the bigger displays and keyboards/mouse for input. Docking station is the answer.

Kris Kumar
10-21-2006, 04:23 AM
And can I still get the fries? :?

Jerry Raia
10-21-2006, 04:43 AM
And can I still get the fries? :?

Heck yeah! Super Size even!

hyedipin
10-23-2006, 10:27 PM
It will never kill PC and will always work together, with lack of enough space, and slow transfer speeds &amp; finally with bad integrated browser like IE.

Also there is lack of games (which I mentioned under invaders topic)
Whenever I install any game it ends up not filling the whole screen as it was not originally programmed for QVGA screens.
There are also not many free game packs for SDA/WM5 and I think that's the biggest problem with WM5. If there is lack of games/fun software it will not be popular..

New guys ask when they go to buy phones: "Does it have mp3, does it play games, can I surf the web", nobody cares about productivity or why they didn't put editable excel software, or how crappy it's outlook support/options are. It is Multimedia phone, that lacks fun!
That's why it is not as popular. People with serious needs get blackberry or full PPC phones anyway, so smartphone will always be a sidekick to PC. Yeah, guys like us buy it, because we can tweak it, or make it work for us, but for a regular joe user, he will end up getting a motorola or nokia that looks flashier &amp; has more "FUN" factor.