View Full Version : Leaving Email on POP Server

sirglasgow
10-18-2006, 06:26 PM
Using Windows Mobile (Messaging), I was able to create a POP3 account to access my email through my ISP. It worked great...I could get a list of new messages, download and read them.

Now...Since I would like to keep all messages on my desktop computer, using my phone to check email, I would like the phone to leave the messages on my ISP's server, so my desktop computer can grab them later.

Is there anyway to set this up...couldn't find anything in the settings on the account that said anything like "leave a copy of the message on the server".

Ideas?

scottb
10-19-2006, 03:33 PM
Pocket Outlook will leave them on the server, unless you delete them from POutlook. Then when you delete what you want to from your PC, they will disappear from POutlook.

Jerry Raia
10-19-2006, 04:20 PM
Is there anyway you could set up IMAP?

ARW
10-19-2006, 04:35 PM
As best I've been able to determine, Inbox (or Pocket Outlook) does not have the ability to remove messages from the server, at least in POP mode. So, the manner in which it is set-up to work should meet your needs.

Mike Temporale
10-19-2006, 04:49 PM
As best I've been able to determine, Inbox (or Pocket Outlook) does not have the ability to remove messages from the server, at least in POP mode. So, the manner in which it is set-up to work should meet your needs.

On 2003 devices that correct. On WinMo5 devices it deletes them after you mark it for deletion and then sync again. So if you never mark it to delete, then you should be fine.

sirglasgow
10-19-2006, 05:08 PM
Thank you all...that was my problem. I was reading the message on the phone, and deleting it, which removed it from the server. Grabbing the message with my desktop computer (which removes it from the server), caused it to also be removed from my phone. I'll avoid deleting messages with my phone in the future.

Steve

Jerry Raia
10-19-2006, 05:13 PM
If you are able, use IMAP instead. If you travel at all it is a must. Even if you don't trying to keep 2 devices on the same page is simple with IMAP.

Mike Temporale
10-19-2006, 06:18 PM
Hey Jerry, do you have Outlook mobile set to download all your mail, or just the last x days worth?

Jerry Raia
10-19-2006, 06:45 PM
All of it. Calendar and Tasks as well. All of them.

Mike Temporale
10-19-2006, 07:55 PM

8O How many messages do you have in your inbox. I've got about 200 or so. So I just pull the last 3 days. If it's older than that, it needs more attention than I'll give it when I'm mobile.

Jerry Raia
10-19-2006, 07:59 PM

8O How many messages do you have in your inbox. I've got about 200 or so. So I just pull the last 3 days. If it's older than that, it needs more attention than I'll give it when I'm mobile.

I'm pretty organized. I have stuff pulled off and put into personal folders for archival purposes. My inbox at any given moment rarely has more than a couple items in it. Calendar and Tasks I leave on the server. 1000's of items there. :shocked!:

Mike Temporale
10-19-2006, 08:21 PM
I don't use tasks. My inbox is my task list. I guess that's the difference as to why my inbox is so much loarger than yours and your tasks are larger than mine.

Jerry Raia
10-19-2006, 09:32 PM
Interesting how everyone does things a little different. Good topic for a Thought post I'm thinking. :)

Hardrock28
11-28-2006, 04:11 PM
I have read alot of postings regarding the smart phones/Q's and leaving messages on the server.

I realize that deleting from the phone deletes from the server so basically most of us just read them and leave them in our inbox on the phone. What happens though after time when there are literally hundreds/thousands of emails on the phone. In other words, in my case I am a remote Lotus Notes user. I have the Q setup for POP and it is working just fine now. On Lotus when I read something important from my company I file it away in a folder within Notes on my laptop. Well since that email was not deleted theoretically it will still show up on the phone...if that is the cast eventually I am going to have thousands of emails on the phone...any thoughts comment?

Thanks

Jerry Raia
11-28-2006, 04:19 PM
Since you have put it in Notes you now have it stored offline. Why keep it on the phone? This makes a good case for IMAP email.

ifonline
11-29-2006, 12:24 AM
I actually like the way WM5 (BlackJack) works with regards to e-mail. I have my work address set to check every 15 minutes and to download everything/entire message. So, I get a message on my phone. I decide that I don't want to keep it and I mark it for deletion. Next sync, the e-mail is gone permanently (even from the server). However, if I decide to keep the message, I do nothing.

When I get to my desk, I check e-mail and download everything. Then, on next sync, my phone realizes that the e-mail is no longer on the server and removes the stray copies from my phone. Brilliant! For me, anyway!

Hardrock28
11-29-2006, 01:33 AM
Switched to IMAP4 and it works beautifully with Lotus Notes now...except...and I can't even believe this:

1) The menu soft key on the right below the screen is screwed up now. When I hit it only about 1/2 the time it actually works, the other times it types the #2!?!?! So when I am in my email account to send/receive and hit the menu key to get there it types a 2 on the screen...and sometimes even deletes the freaking email that was highlighted.

2) The up position on the middle wheel about 1/2 the time now types a 9 on the screen!?!?

I am baffled and about at the end of the rope. Now that I finally have everything working as I needed it, the freaking keys are screwing up on me...anyone else seen this or can recommend anything?

Since you have put it in Notes you now have it stored offline. Why keep it on the phone? This makes a good case for IMAP email.

Jerry Raia
11-29-2006, 01:49 AM
Wow that is bizarre. I have never seen that behavior. Maybe try removing and resetting up the account?

Hardrock28
11-29-2006, 01:55 AM
Wow that is bizarre. I have never seen that behavior. Maybe try removing and resetting up the account?

I suppose but the right menu key issue doesn't only happen within email accounts. If I hit it to get to contacts, sometimes it works now and sometimes it types the #2!?!? None of this was happening until today...right after firmware upgrade and setup of email account.

Frankly I am getting pretty tired of the quirks and oversights on this phone...like pasting numbers into contacts and they don't format...the convoluted calendar setup, etc. I could live with those things if the phone was actually working as needed for email at this point but now that is causing problems. I just emailed Verizon regarding these issues which I am sure will get me referred over to Motorola or something but I asked if they had seen these issues, could offer any suggestions and what my recourse is if they can't. I use this for business and it is really going to kill me on travel if I have these issues.

I am curious if they have anykind of credit/swap out program for disatisfied customers. I'd even pay more for a Treo as I had before as long as I got he credit for what I paid for this, provided they can't resolve this stuff.

Jerry Raia
11-29-2006, 02:25 AM
I had a Q for quite a few months and even after the ROM upgrade I never saw the issue you are having.

Hardrock28
11-29-2006, 02:28 AM
Yeah I know, it's nuts. I'll see what they say and go from there.

Thanks.

I had a Q for quite a few months and even after the ROM upgrade I never saw the issue you are having.

Jerry Raia
11-29-2006, 02:33 AM
Good luck. Let us know what happens.

bshpmark
12-02-2006, 09:08 AM
I don't sync my email between my phone and my desktop. But I learned the hard way that once I delete an email from my phone, the next time it checks mail on my Comcast mail server it deletes the read mail from the Comcast server. I had to learn not to delete mail on the phone that I wanted to eventually get on my desktop from Comcast. Once I get it on my desktop then I can delete it from the phone.

ifonline
12-02-2006, 03:38 PM
Once you check your Comcast e-mail on the desktop, that same e-mail on your phone will delete itself on the next sync with the POP3 server.

b33g33
12-07-2006, 05:48 PM
Hi all, new Blackjack owner here. This is also my 1st Windows Mobile based phone. So far, I'm very happy with the device except for the way it handles emails.

I like to keep all my work related emails in the inbox organized into folders. I periodically archive them to free up server space. I have Copernic desktop search setup so that I can search through the inbox and archives to dig up any email I may need.

I DO NOT like the way the phone is forcing me to delete my emails off the server. I tried to get around this by creating a separate 'BlackJack Sync' folder in the mailbox at the same level as the Inbox, creating a server-side rule to copy any new message into this folder as well and setting activeSync to only synch with this folder. However, when I delete the email from the phone and synch with the PC, it still deletes the email from the Inbox as well! :evil: This is really annoying to me. Does anyone have an idea of how I could get around this? TIA

b33g33