View Full Version : Will Dell go into mobile phones?

Jmel
09-21-2006, 09:35 AM
Hello guys!

I just want to know what you think.

1. Will Dell go into mobile phones? Even after what happened to their Axim.
2. HP, one of Dell's competitors is using a trial of a Window server offering of incorporates push Technology (push email). Do you think Dell will also launch something similar to this?

AdamaDBrown
09-21-2006, 05:27 PM
1. Will Dell go into mobile phones?

I seriously doubt it. They've shown no interest in smartphones or any other kind of phones, and dealing with the carriers runs contrary to their preferred business model.

Even after what happened to their Axim.

What, pray tell, happened to their Axim? :?

2. HP, one of Dell's competitors is using a trial of a Window server offering of incorporates push Technology (push email). Do you think Dell will also launch something similar to this?

All new Exchange server packages already have push email, so any new server Dell sells with Exchange will have this too.

Jmel
09-22-2006, 05:04 AM
Thanks for your reply AdamaDBrown!

If you think that not only Dell will launch the push technology similar to HP. Can you name other company who would use the same technology?

About your question, Axim is not doing good at the moment. I even heard that Dell will give up the R&D for Axim.

Mike Temporale
09-22-2006, 01:51 PM
If you think that not only Dell will launch the push technology similar to HP. Can you name other company who would use the same technology?

Anyone that's selling an Exchange server. There's nothing special about this. Exchange with service pack 2 offers push email support. It doesn't matter who is selling the hardware.

There are plenty of other companies out there that have their own solutions - Good, intellisync, dataviz, etc...

About your question, Axim is not doing good at the moment. I even heard that Dell will give up the R&D for Axim.

Well, PDA's as a whole aren't doing well. The market is moving towards connected devices. Besides, why do R&D when you can buy and rebrand a device from companies like HTC and TechFaith Wireless. ;)

Mark Larson
09-23-2006, 08:48 PM
[quote=Jmel]

It has been discontinued after declining sales. Essentially, Dell said that PDA sales are declining and Smartphone and PDA Phone sales are rising, across the whole industry. So they got out of it.

Well, PDA's as a whole aren't doing well. The market is moving towards connected devices. Besides, why do R&D when you can buy and rebrand a device from companies like HTC and TechFaith Wireless. ;)
Wasn't the Axim line designed and manufactured by HTC already?

Personally, I'll be happy with a PDA Phone with a bigger screen. If I'm going to carry one device, I want it to be able to do some of the things I'm used to doing easily on my PDA (An Axim). And I don't want a humongous monstrosity like a Blue Angel either.

AdamaDBrown
09-24-2006, 06:09 PM

It has been discontinued after declining sales. Essentially, Dell said that PDA sales are declining and Smartphone and PDA Phone sales are rising, across the whole industry. So they got out of it.

It feels like I've been saying this every 15 minutes lately--no, they haven't. Dell has not discontinued the Axims, they have not made any statements about discontinuing the Axims, they have not implied that they're discontinuing the Axims, and anything to the contrary is rumor. This was the point of my statement to the OP--there's a perception that this is an established fact, when it's not.