View Full Version : HTC Cuts Ties with i-mate and O2

Mike Temporale
09-19-2006, 06:15 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.cnet.com.au/pdas/pdas/0,239035588,339271166,00.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.cnet.com.au/pdas/pdas/0,239035588,339271166,00.htm</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Until now, HTC has designed and manufactured mobile devices for a range of manufacturers -- including Dopod, O2, i-mate and HP -- but hasn't sold directly to consumers. However, a spokesperson for HTC today confirmed that the company would market smartphone devices in Europe under the HTC brand name. Also re-affirming HTC's consumer push, the Dopod buyout would put HTC in direct competition with its aforementioned customers, potentially leading to HTC designs being sold exclusively under the Dopod branding outside Europe. According to Prim Krithivasan, Director of Dopod's Regional Operator Division in ANZ &amp; India, HTC has cut its ties with both O2 and i-mate. "O2 doesn't have the relationship [with HTC] anymore... [and] going forward the HTC relationship won't extend to i-mate."</i><br /><br />This doesn't come as too much of a surprise to me. Back when HTC purchased QTEK, I could see the writing was on the wall for the relationship between i-mate and HTC. Personally, I think this is a good thing. While, I like the devices that HTC has turned out, it's time they had some competition. HTC certainly isn't the only device maker on the planet and they have had their fair share or problems that should have been fixed ages ago. (Can anyone say dust?) Hopefully, i-mate can help grow some of the other manufacturers. We're already seeing some super nice looking devices from TechFaith Wireless - even if they are based on other devices in the market today. ;)

Rocco Augusto
09-19-2006, 08:43 PM
i expected it as it, it still makes me sad though. its like watching your favorite couple get a divorce. :(

Jerry Raia
09-20-2006, 02:08 AM
Mike makes a good point though. When a company gets to the top of the pile it starts to slack off. Look at Motorola and the Mpx220. I think this is good as well.