View Full Version : 2125 ROM updates - avoid them?

zeke009
09-19-2006, 02:11 AM
I saw someone's post here recently about updating the 2125 and having slow response of the keypad and some other issues they did not elaborate on. Is this true? I'm not seeing any posts reporting poor performance after the upgrade.

I ask because I just bought a 2125 off ebay today to replace my SMT5600, I've been experiencing a horrible buzzing sound during phone calls lately and I've finally had enough and landed a good price on an unlocked 2125 on ebay. Note I didn't get sick of it enough to get locked in a contract. :wink:

I'm just wondering if I should look at flashing the ROM when I get the phone. Flashing the ROM doesn't effect a phones unlocked state does it? I don't think so... but it's been a long time since I've had to flash a phone.

Mike Temporale
09-19-2006, 03:03 AM
It's been talked about a fair amount in the thread announcing the new ROM. Should you upgrade? I guess that really depends on what you're needs are. Do you need Push Email?

I don't have a 2125, so I can't confirm the existence of this, however I have seen a lot of people mention it. :?

zeke009
09-19-2006, 07:22 PM
I don't need "push email". This is a personal device and I don't have any need for something like that right now.

I was more concerned with updates/fixes that the ROM might contain. I have no idea what ROM is on the phone right now, I didn't think about it until the auction had ended.

Jerry Raia
09-20-2006, 02:13 AM
If you don't need push email I would pass on the upgrade. It created a few problems with text input for one.

rovers3
09-21-2006, 01:41 PM
Push mail works great.

I have the latest rom on mine, but then my phone came preloaded from Cingular with this. I noticed in the past that some rom updates unless preloaded need to be tweaked to make them work correctly.

Allot would depend on how you see yourself as a smartphone user. Do you consider yourself a power user, very advanced user (not afraid of crashing your phone) or a regular user.

Myself i am an advanced user so i do not have a problem beta testing new rom updates, but it is like this. Does it work now? have any problems with your phone now? If not don't upgrade. if you are or just like to have the latest rom then go for it.

either way the choice is yours.