View Full Version : Windows Media Player for the Smartphone Examined

Mike Temporale
09-01-2006, 05:45 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.twoinchview.com/?p=56' target='_blank'>http://www.twoinchview.com/?p=56</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Using the Qtek 8500 as my primary music player involved more than just the hardware itself: the software played a bit role in shaping my experience. Windows Mobile 5 comes with Windows Media Player 10 Mobile, a smaller and more limited version of its desktop counterpart. Windows Media Player 10 on the desktop is what I used to transfer over my music onto the Qtek 8500. I set it to transcode my audio to 128 kbps WMA files - since I wasn’t able to use my own headphones, I guessed that the bundled headphones wouldn’t be high-quality enough for me to need anything higher than 128 kbps in quality (and boy was I right!)."</i><br /><br />Jason examines the musical power of his new Qtek 8500 over on The Two Inch View. If you're looking to get a feel for how well HTC's StarTrek handles music, you'll want to give this a read. I've always been less then thrilled with Windows Media Player Mobile. It does the job, but that's about it. What are your thoughts? What applications do you use for music playback?

Hyer
09-01-2006, 06:16 PM
The biggest problem I have is the number of steps it takes to get content downloaded and onto my device. I mostly listen to podcasts, so I have to subscribe to them on iTunes, download them into a folder that Meda Player 10 is monitoring then have them transfered. Not the best solution, but it seems to work.

Also, I use Mot BT head phones and they work pretty well. If anyone knows of a player that syncs to iTunes, I would love to nuke media player and stream line things.

ctmagnus
09-02-2006, 04:31 AM
From the article:

If you’re looking for a more well-rounded experience, check out Pocket Player from Conduits (http://www.conduits.com/products/player/).

I concur. The only reason I even touch WMP Mobile is if I find a WMV file that's at 320x240 resolution and I don't feel the need to watch it immediately when I'm in front of a larger computer. In those cases, I throw the video onto my SD card and watch it whenever.

ditch_azeroth
09-05-2006, 08:22 AM
me? i don't bother with any of these. i just go to tcpmp and im set. there's too many features in the "wm5 wmp10" that are not there. oh well.

YPcma
09-06-2006, 04:17 PM
I recently had a melt down on my 2125. Problems started when I downloaded protected media (from URGE the new program that comes with windows media player). I have a 2 gig mini sd card in my phone so I downloaded a bunch of stuff then a few days later the files corrupted and I had to clean off the card. After that happened a few times my phone totally went crazy on me and began searching for signal when it already had full bars! So I couldn't send or recieve calls. So I called Cingular and they sent me a new phone. So freak occurence or is the phone just not capable of what I want it to do? What do you guys think?