View Full Version : How are Categories Sync'd on WM5 Smartphones?

bnycastro
08-30-2006, 08:58 AM
Hi All,

I have a general WM Smartphone question [haven't owned one since about a year back, I used to have the Motorola MPx220 which had WM2003SE, I seldom used it and sold it off] does WM5 for smartphone already sync categories for tasks/appts? IIRC with WM2003SE for smartphones task's/appts categories were not synced with outlook only the task/appts, start and due dates were synced. Has this been addressed in WM5 SP, All I see about Smartphone reviews is it syncs with outlook but I want to know how deep it goes is it the same with PPC. Are contact images synced as well with WM5 SP. Does tasks in WM5SP have user defined alarms same as a PPC [i.e. the task reminder can be set by me not pre-defined at 8am like of old]?

I want to get a 2nd phone and I want it to be a WM5 SP but I need it to sync like a WM5 PPC [everything including categories] I rely on categories heavily and would like to have my PPCPE and SP in sync down to the last PIM detail/data [yeah a bit anal I know hehehe]. Any info is much appreciated. Thanks in advanced to any guru's who might respond [hoping someone does... excited about the Excalibur hehehe] :)

scottb
08-30-2006, 12:39 PM
Categories sync and you can set the reminder time for tasks. One thing you won't be able to do on a SP that your PPC will do is sync notes. the SP does not have a notes application, so you would need a third party solution for that.

bnycastro
08-30-2006, 12:56 PM
Hmm that's odd? I asked the same question over at the unwired.net and Arne said that categories for tasks still don't sync in WM5. I wish I could check for myself but I've no access to WM5 Smartphone ATM [haven't seen one in any shop yet here in Manila]. So do the tasks sync [including their categories] completely in WM5?

http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=3292

Mike Temporale
08-30-2006, 01:39 PM
Categories used to sync, but don't anymore. They may sync again in the future, but not right now.

bnycastro
08-30-2006, 02:23 PM
bummer :(

onlydarksets
08-30-2006, 02:49 PM
They sync'd on my 2125. In Papyrus, I could group my tasks by category. Now, whether they are DISPLAYED in the default tasks application is a different question (I don't have the 2125 anymore).

Mike Temporale
08-30-2006, 02:55 PM
They sync'd on my 2125. In Papyrus, I could group my tasks by category. Now, whether they are DISPLAYED in the default tasks application is a different question (I don't have the 2125 anymore).

Right, your category values are synced. But you can't sync by category. In older versions of Active Sync you could tell it to sync on contacts with the category of "work" or "Personal". You can no longer to that. But you're right, it does keep the category information.

Not sure which of those bnycastro was looking for. :?

onlydarksets
08-30-2006, 03:08 PM
Re-reading his post, I think he's just concerned with being able to view and use the category data on a Smartphone. In that case, the answer is that, yes, the categories sync, but you would need 3rd party software to really take advantage of them.

bnycastro
08-30-2006, 03:46 PM
onlydarksets: right on the money! that's what I was asking. ok so categories are sync'd but I need a 3rd party app to edit or view them on a SP [the categories of those tasks that I sync'd]. Good thing I already purchased Papyrus when I owned a MPx220... bring on the Excalibur! :) Thank you all for all your replies.

scottb
08-30-2006, 03:47 PM
Re-reading his post, I think he's just concerned with being able to view and use the category data on a Smartphone. In that case, the answer is that, yes, the categories sync, but you would need 3rd party software to really take advantage of them.

This is how I read the question. :)