View Full Version : Q's Q's Everywhere!

Jerry Raia
08-25-2006, 11:00 PM
http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/images/Jerry-Qr.jpg

I have come to judge how popular something is by how much of it I see at the airport. I spend half my life at airports, so I can say that it is an excellent metric for certain items. Books for one, I knew "The Da Vinci Code" was a best seller before it became one. Every other person waiting for a plane and sitting on the plane was reading it. Blackberrys used to be the big thing, but now I am seeing the Q everywhere. Yes, I have seen the other Smartphones from time to time. The Q however, has gotten attention. I have friends who would just grunt when I showed them my other Smartphones. A couple of them now have Q's. I was just talking to another who might very well get one. The Q may be the first Smartphone to break into the RAZR world. What do you think?

saru7755
08-25-2006, 11:55 PM
True, a lot of ppl never got into the PPC world as its pretty big to them & never got a smartphone based phone as they want a keyboard & stuff, but with the release of the Q it changed a lot of things, simply every other Manufacturer is working on there own Q type phone "which is a good thing" i'm personally seriously thinking about getting a Samsung I320 which is pretty much like the Q but even smaller..

So Thx Moto... :)

Macguy59
08-25-2006, 11:56 PM
I think real dominance will require Verizon lowering their data plan pricing.

Jerry Raia
08-26-2006, 12:21 AM

That is a great point.

WyattEarp
08-26-2006, 03:01 AM

And GSM version to come out. It can't do it while only being available through Verizon

Pete Paxton
08-26-2006, 03:10 AM
I think we're gonna see a lot of these kind of devices after Christmas. The Excalibur will be a great airport choice since it also has wifi.

Jon Westfall
08-26-2006, 05:33 AM
Hmm, initially I thought your post meant you were seeing John de Lancie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_%28Star_Trek%29) everywhere. Guess I shouldn't read forums past midnight...

Truthfully, I hope that the Q form factor takes hold, as it will make the public a lot more interested in devices such as the iPAQ Mobile Messenger. Smartphones & Pocket PCs are starting to look a lot alike these days...

dstrauss
08-26-2006, 03:11 PM
I think the Q "form factor" is almost entrenched already. Samsung one-upped them with the i320 which is even smaller; Excalibur is soon to release, and Ubiquio(?) is in the rumor/leak stage. With the release of HTC's Star Trek flip phone, I can see the market segmenting into three lines - Wizard style slide out keyboards; thin-light flip smartphones; and Q-like keyboard devices (hopefully with touch screens). I can't see the reason for candybars like the Cingular 2125 much longer, given the advent of the small flip phone and the i320 size keyboard devices.

Rocco Augusto
08-27-2006, 12:35 AM
I can't see the reason for candybars like the Cingular 2125 much longer, given the advent of the small flip phone and the i320 size keyboard devices.

at the end of the day I would till much rather have the candy bar style phone then the slip phone or qwerty phone. to each their own! ;)

Jerry Raia
08-27-2006, 12:40 AM
I was always a big flip phone fan. The lack of them in the Smartphone world slowly weaned me off of them. The Q finished the job. :)

I am thinking about the 3125 though. :mrgreen:

Mike Temporale
08-28-2006, 01:24 AM
And GSM version to come out. It can't do it while only being available through Verizon

So true. Once a GSM version hits the streets, watch out!

Jerry Raia
08-28-2006, 01:35 AM

Thats when I dump Verizon again. :lol:

Macguy59
08-28-2006, 01:39 AM

Thats when I dump Verizon again. :lol:

So do you wait till your contract is over or do you cancel early and pay the termination fee?

Jerry Raia
08-28-2006, 01:40 AM
I cancel and pay. I know I'm ill but I cant help it. :crazyeyes:

ctmagnus
08-28-2006, 04:43 AM
That's ok Jerry. Admitting it is the first step. Then comes eleven other steps that I have yet to find out about. ;)

Jerry Raia
08-28-2006, 04:58 AM
There aren't enough steps for my problem. :lol:

Kris Kumar
08-28-2006, 05:40 AM
Jerry, you are absolutely right about the Qs being everywhere. At my work, in my group, almost everyone who was carrying a BlackBerry is carrying a Q. The best part is when they come up to me and show me the Q. They don't know that I lead a secret second life, as the SPT Contributing Editor and that I know more about the Q and Windows Mobile then they do. ;-) :lol:

kiwi
08-28-2006, 06:50 PM
only one sighted here in Canada and it was a friend of a friend's... I think the Telus network has them.

If Robbers (Rogers) gets them as GSM , then it may catch on, otherwise its a CrackBerry Nation here for the business folk with RAZRs for the consumer sheep.

stuartforrest
08-29-2006, 11:18 PM
I have got an I320 last week and it is truly an awesome little device apart from one thing and that is its pathetic battery life. We are talking less than a day with very low use. I dont know where they get their battery life figures from!

They give you a spare battery in a natty little charger case so perhaps they are telling us something. Shame is that 20 grams heavier and with a proper battery would make this perfect in every way.

We cant get the Motorola Q here so I cant compare but its a great form factor. I can type much quicker on this than with T9 on my SP5 and best of all you can turn on T9 as well so it will offer suggestions for words but you dont need to use them. Makes it quick to type longs words and spell them correctly.