View Full Version : Employers may be Liable for Always-On Messaging Addiction

Mike Temporale
08-25-2006, 06:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2006Aug/bpd20060824038155.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2006Aug/bpd20060824038155.htm</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Many of us have thought of the BlackBerry as an addictive entity, but that belief may now have been validated by a study done by Gayle Porter and David Vance of Rutgers-Camden University and Nada Kakabadse of the University of Northampton in the United Kingdom. What is even more interesting about the study is that it suggests that this addiction may leave employers legally liable depending on whether the employer manipulates an individual's desire to work harder for the employer or whether the employee does it on his or her own for personal gain."</i><br /><br />This could be a very interesting development. I know a number of people who are told by their employer that they must carry a BlackBerry device (of course it doesn't matter what type of always on messaging device it is). Over the last year, it's clearly effected them. Now they can't stand to let an email go unanswered for more than a couple minutes. Where as they used to get along just fine without it a short 12 months ago. Remember everyone, turn off your device from time to time. It will do you some good. ;)

Bushrod
08-25-2006, 06:32 PM
I'm a victim of this. After having a BB for 5 years and 10 months, I had to turn it in this week. It's been awful!

I've taken to accessing our admin server through Citrix on my 6700. At least it works...

edgar
08-25-2006, 06:34 PM
As a person that was one of the first 1000 people in the US with a Blackberry (we were one of the first resellers and on their beta launch) I carried a BB 950 then others for looong time.

About a year ago when I moved to California I got rid of the device and actually felt pangs of loss! Now a year later I've turned into someone who really gets bothered by the "need" to instantly answer. (ask my wife, she has one and I always b***h at her about it's tether).

I guess I'm like the reformed former smoker - the most verbal against the product :)

So, anyways, when the heck is my I320/BlackJack coming to GSM :)

Jerry Raia
08-25-2006, 08:05 PM
I have 3 devices. So if I turn one off, no problem! I'm not addicted see? :mrgreen:

ctmagnus
08-25-2006, 10:14 PM
But if you were writing that post as opposed to typing it, how shaky would your handwriting be with only two devices on? ;)

Jerry Raia
08-25-2006, 10:27 PM
Oh hell I could even turn 2 devices off! 8O

With no ill effects. :worried:

Whatsoever, :crazyeyes:

Mike Temporale
08-28-2006, 01:12 AM
Oh hell I could even turn 2 devices off! 8O

Don't you have to turn off all 3 devices when you go to work? :D

Jerry Raia
08-28-2006, 01:36 AM
Yes when airborne, but then I have other gadgets to play with. :lol:

Kris Kumar
08-28-2006, 06:03 AM
I always tell my wife that the Smartphone is the primary reason for my ADHD tendencies. :lol: