View Full Version : SDA - anyone else have memory issues?

algorhythm
08-22-2006, 02:17 AM
I'm sure it's just an organizational issue, but I'm haunted regularly by the "low on memory" warning (including the cheesey little music... :roll: ) I clear the memory from IE regularly, but if I've got a few emails with attachments I still get it.

I find that with WM5, it's a bit harder to look at the device and see where the large files are hiding. It might also be because I'm using a Mac...Missing Sync is great but not quite as flexible as Active Sync (wow...did I just say something good about AS??)

Does anyone know if there's a way to, for example, tell WM5 to put email attachments on the SD card? Or some other suggestion on paring down memory?

Thanks.

jeffreybluml
10-25-2006, 03:16 PM
Yep. SurrealNetworks has a nice, quick, easy cab file that will make the necessary registry edits to put your IE Cache, history, and cookies on the SD card, as well as all of your email attachments.

Look here:
http://surrealnetworks.com/mpx

Then click on SDA Reg edits and look for the PIE amd Mail patch.

Great site for the SDA!

Good luck,

Jeff

algorhythm
10-25-2006, 09:23 PM
nice one....thanks Jeff!

jeffreybluml
10-25-2006, 09:58 PM
No prob.

I probably should have mentioned, you may now begin to experience (if you haven't already) the much loved "Storage Card2 Issue"...

This occurs when your device doesn't get your card initialized befreo windows tries to write to the temp files that we've now directed there. This has more to do with the mail files than the PIE ones. As far as I know, it only happens if you have the message plugin on the homescreen (meaning ANY messages, SMS, email, vmail, MMS...)

I just live with it, myself. It only happens once every 15-20 reboots, and all together it takes about 5 minutes to remedy once it happens (which can all be done via the phone without activesync, regardless of what other posts suggest).

Read this post for more info:
http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=246044&hl=storage++card2

Good luck,

algorhythm
10-26-2006, 12:17 AM
I didn't even get that far....maybe I'm a bonehead but i've installed this cab file three times and don't see it. Doesn't come up as an app, or in IE's menu....what's the trick? :?

Lots of other cool stuff on that SurrealNet page though...got distracted. :)

jeffreybluml
10-26-2006, 12:27 AM
That's normal. YOu wont see any indication of it on the phone, except for the fact that you should now suddenly have some folders on your storage card you didn't before - I think they're "Mail" and "Pocket IE"

THat's where it's putting the attachments and temp files, etc.

Other than that, you don't get any extra options in PIE or anything, and I've even seen where it doesn't show up in the remove programs menu...

So, if you installed it and it said it installed successfully, then you should be all set.

Good luck,

algorhythm
10-26-2006, 12:42 AM
dang, you're right....how wierd. I'd have thought it would add something to IE's preferences page or something, but it just parked a couple of folders on the card and didn't even tell me it was there.

love the auto keypad lock hack too.... :)

Thanks!

jeffreybluml
10-26-2006, 12:55 AM
OH, you think the keylock is cool now, wait until you install the newest beta from this link:

http://maniac.fschreiner.de/component/option,com_docman/task,cat_view/gid,4/Itemid,3/

Maniac managed to get aroung the stupid way WM5 handles the backlight, making it turn on for a long time everytime you bump a key in your pocket. This, if you were wondering, is the biggest reason your SDA gets such poor battery life.

So, go to that link. go into the beta section and install the latest beta. Once installed, make sure you set up and enable the screensaver, that's the part that keeps the backlight off when you bump it in your pocket.

The final version, which will be 4.0, should be out very soon. I think he's just working on the translation part right now. I've been using the beta for awhile now, it's awesome. Oh, the beta also has the feature to AUTOMATICALLY unlock the kaypad when you have an incoming call!! Another must have bug fix for WM5!!!

So, get the beta, read through the documentation on his site if you really want to know what all you can do, and best of all enjoy your newfound battery life!! :)

Maniac also has great support on his forum, so feel free to read around there and post if you have questions...

Good luck,

algorhythm
10-26-2006, 01:06 AM
how totally cool. maniac's site is great...the guy's a (ahem) maniac....

Mike Temporale
10-26-2006, 02:32 AM
Maniac has been doing some great work. AutoKeylock is the first app I install on my Smartphones. I can't live without it. :D