View Full Version : Pocket Goddess: Is Mobile Tech Grounded?

Jason Dunn
08-11-2006, 05:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketgoddess.com/articles/2006/08/is_mobile_tech.html' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketgoddess.com/articles/2006/08/is_mobile_tech.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Today’s events have turned the modern world of aviation on its head—news of a foiled terrorist plot involving British airliners headed to the US has led to chaos as trans-Atlantic flights are delayed or cancelled, security measures are tightened, and experts argue about what could happen next. I’m sobered by these reports, but I know that life can and will go on. I may be a bit more cautious when I fly, and know that I need to allow plenty of time to pass through security checkpoints—gone are the days of rushing to the airport at the last minute—but I’ll still travel just as I have before. Or will I? According to many reports, carry-on luggage has been virtually banned on flights originating in the UK, with passengers being allowed to take nothing more than their passport and cash. Evidently the suspected plot revolved around constructing some sort of explosive device in the air from separate components brought on a plane, and some experts speculate that an electronic device such as a radio or even the key fob from a set of car keys could have been used to set it off."</i><br /><br />This is certainly sobering news for any tech-type who travels with gadgets (I imagine that would be pretty much everyone reading this site). Safety is important of course, but the thought of a long flight without music, movies, offline email, or my laptop for that matter...is a frightening thought. I enjoy a good book, and often read on flights, but I'm also the type of person that can't read while others are talking. I need to block out the world around me with music in order to not be distracted, and thinking about listening to a crying baby or loud talker for six hours is enough to make me not want to fly. ;-) The issue of carry-on luggage is also very concerning to me: I'm going to Hawaii with my wife for our 5th wedding anniversary, and I don't trust my expensive Nikon D200 to be handled by anyone but myself. Put it in my luggage? No way! Yet it seems I may have no choice. A laptop would be even more fragile, certainly not something you'd want to pack in a suitcase, yet I can't imagine going on a vacation and not having my laptop available to dump photos onto. Is there any chance most of these regulations will "blow over" in the next couple of months? :worried:

Kris Kumar
08-11-2006, 12:13 PM
While I am concerned about the handling of my laptop and other sensitive equipment, especially on a long haul flight with multiple transits. I have seen the way the bags get tossed around. If only the baggage handlers are made a bit more sensitized towards the small (carry-on size) bags. :roll:

But safety comes first. We live in crazy times. When I see the amount of electronics do-it-yourself modules that are available today and even short range wireless tech like Bluetooth can prove deadly. While it makes sense to stop carry on luggage but maniacs can still wreck havoc with check-in luggage.

I have no problem with the restrictions, but I still feel that we do not have thorough enough checks at the US airports.

I come from a country that had major and still has some problem with terrorists. Even 10+ years ago:
- our carry on bags were Xrayed, then hand scanned
- if I had gadgets like cell phone or camera, I had to turn them on to show that it worked like a cell or camera, this in my eyes was a smart check then but now with even more sophisticated electronics it may not help.
- body scan for everyone using both the door scan and hand held scan, guys were even padded down
- batteries were not allowed on board unless in a camera or cellphone
- check-in luggage was Xrayed, something that most of the US airports still don't do
- then before boarding the flight, we had to identify the check-in bags, this was so that if someone puts a timer based you know what in the check in bags, then they better be on board and become a martyr;-)
- one time in my check in bags there were too many cords and adapters in one place that showed up in Xray, the security made me open it, this was the check in bag
- one time my dad was carrying a travel clock in his check in bag next to some other suspicious looking stuff, showed up on xray, he had to show the clock and was asked to take the battery out, from a bag in checked in.

When I had landed in the States I was amazed how lax the security was, it took a while to getting used and feeling comfortable. What I am trying to say is that we still dont have proper checks.

I am comfortable with the security checks, dont mind if it is stricter as long as it is thorough. Stopping all carry on, while allowing checked-in bags go unchecked is bad.

The only way to make the flights close to being fully safe is if the bags came in a separate flight. ;-) :lol: I am serious. Even then I am sure the maniacs will find someway. :( :evil:

Mike Temporale
08-11-2006, 02:04 PM
Sadly, they'll always find some way.

Too many things can go wrong with checked luggage. Let's say you fly on business and have to check your laptop. When you get off the plane your laptop is now borken or stolen. Even if you had some special flight insurance on it, there's little hope that you can get another machine and have it setup/configured in time to make that trip worth while.

I've had to open my carry on and they even did the bomb sniff of it because of the laptop and all the cables I had packed. That's fine. I don't mind spending a little more time at the security line to make sure things are safe.

Mark Kenepp
08-11-2006, 07:11 PM
Pocket PC Thoughts has quite the descussion going (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=412857&amp;sid=f17028b688d312262870f962fb423dc4) about this topic. It is hard not to get political.

I don't like the inconvenience of traveling with these restrictions. Over the next few days, I would expect minor adjustments to the restrictions but there will be only small changes.

The idea of getting on a plane with only glasses, wallet, baby formula, tissues and feminine products is an extremely unpleasant one. I am presently debating canceling my vacation plans to Ireland (flying into and out of London) which are coming up in a few weeks.

I really think that the airlines will suffer greatly from these new measures. I personally am of the opinion that most people who choose not to fly will base there decision on the hassles of the security restrictions rather than the fear of being a victim of a terrorist act.

Mike Temporale
08-12-2006, 02:24 AM
It's interesting, through all the news reports and live footage from the airports. I have yet to see or hear a report that says no laptops or cameras are allowed in carry on. I have seen (behind reporters on the news) lots of signs plastered around the airport that say no liquids or gels.

Has anyone heard specificly that laptops are no longer allowed?

VoltesV
08-12-2006, 02:45 AM
Electronics are still ok (including laptop, cams, cell, gps receiver, etc.). I just got back from a business trip from East to West Coast and didn't have a problem at all.

The only thing restricted were the ones mentioned like liquid, gels, toothpaste, lotion, perfume, sunscreen or anything that would resemble them.

So if you guys are flying just make sure extra time is padded in because lot of people goes into screening, extraneous luggage xrays, people who does carry-on of their stuff (so not to wait in the baggage area) are now checking luggage instead - what you are trying to avoid via carry-on is now haunting you back!, security gets tied up and extra check before you board a flight to check again for those things.

So extra time is key prior to your flight to anticipate the effects of this new travel restriction and just be sure that you have put the liquid-type stuff in your check-in instead of carry-on so as not to be hassled! Imagine bins and bins of stuff are beside the security screening area because people has no choice but to dump them.

Just sharing my experience in this 2-day old travel restriction...

Kris Kumar
08-12-2006, 03:44 AM
My wife thinks this is cool. Is hoping that I will spend more time talking with her on the flight. Every extra minute I spend without my gadgets adds an extra hour of smile on her face.

Rocco Augusto
08-12-2006, 07:32 AM
My wife thinks this is cool. Is hoping that I will spend more time talking with her on the flight. Every extra minute I spend without my gadgets adds an extra hour of smile on her face.

see, thats just not fair! ;) :P :twisted:

i know i would refuse to fly if i had to pack my gadgets up in my luggage and just hope and pray i either got them back or they made it one piece.

personally, i just wish they would get on the ball and come up with better security measures or start doing their jobs properly. last time i was on a flight, i was padded down 3 times and even strip searched because my belt made the metal detector go off but the guy sitting next to me managed to get a pocket knife on board with a 4in blade and spent a good 20 minutes cleaning his nails with it. go figure.

Mark Kenepp
08-13-2006, 12:38 AM
It's interesting, through all the news reports and live footage from the airports. I have yet to see or hear a report that says no laptops or cameras are allowed in carry on. I have seen (behind reporters on the news) lots of signs plastered around the airport that say no liquids or gels.

Has anyone heard specificly that laptops are no longer allowed?

While in the US, electronic devices are still allowed (according to the TSA Site (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/new-procedures.shtm)), the UK security measures (http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_about/documents/page/dft_about_612280.hcsp) are different. They do not list banned items, they list what is allowed! A very short list:

Passengers may take through the airport security search point, in a single (ideally transparent) plastic carrier bag, only the following items. Nothing may be carried in pockets:

* pocket size wallets and pocket size purses plus contents (for example money, credit cards, identity cards etc (not handbags));
* travel documents essential for the journey (for example passports and travel tickets);
* prescription medicines and medical items sufficient and essential for the flight (eg diabetic kit), except in liquid form unless verified as authentic.
* spectacles and sunglasses, without cases.
* contact lens holders, without bottles of solution.
* for those travelling with an infant: baby food, milk (the contents of each bottle must be tasted by the accompanying passenger) and sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight (nappies, wipes, creams and nappy disposal bags).
* female sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight, if unboxed (eg tampons, pads, towels and wipes).
* tissues (unboxed) and/or handkerchiefs
* keys (but no electrical key fobs)

Mike Temporale
08-13-2006, 01:47 AM
While in the US, electronic devices are still allowed (according to the TSA Site (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/new-procedures.shtm)), the UK security measures (http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_about/documents/page/dft_about_612280.hcsp) are different. They do not list banned items, they list what is allowed!

Awesome! Thanks Mark. 8)