View Full Version : T-Mobile SDA on Cingular or T-Mobile?

dorelse
08-10-2006, 05:34 AM
Ok...my ATT Wireless contract is up....so I'm evaluating new service as well as phones.

I'm very intrigued with the t-mobile SDA phone, and would like to stay month to month on my ATT Wireless plan, as I won't endure a 2 year PoP (Plan of Pain) from Cingular ever ever again. (Man are they trying to strong arm us ATT Wireless to assimilate to Cingular.) No phones, our old 32 bit SIM cards that don't work with 64bit SIM Cingular phones, upgrade fees, etc.

I also get a great company discount from Sprint, 12% off the monthly bill, cheaper hardware, etc. However, if I do the Spint thing, I'd probably get a Treo 700P, as I think its the best smartphone they have to offer. Sorry, but I don't want a huge slider PPC phone.

I'm used to both PPC & Palm, although a WM 5.0 Smartphone is new to me, so the OS while important, I feel I can deal pretty well with either one.

I really like the idea of the SDA on my current ATT Wireless plan, but wondering if I shouldn't just sign up with t-mobile for the rebates.

Is the SDA really that good? Any thing lost when unlocking the SDA that I'd miss if I didn't go with t-mobile, and just unlocked it to use on ATT Wireless? Thanks!

Mike Temporale
08-10-2006, 01:44 PM
All that unlocking does is allow you to put SIM card from another provider in your phone. It doesn't change any of the phones functionality. 8)

dorelse
08-10-2006, 03:21 PM
Correct, however, using a T-Mobile phone on a Cingular network might...for instance, the t-zone's button on my old phone was useless when used on Cingular's network.

Things like that is what I'm wondering. Big decision for me since I hope to actually have the same phone for more than 6 months this time around.

PantherShade
08-10-2006, 04:04 PM
I'm also a former ATT customer, but I'll be going in the opposite direction.

Cingular is discontinuing my old network, and my current phone won't work on the new one. (Understandable.)
Cingular will not let me keep my current plan, even if I get a new phone that will work on their network. (Unbelievable.)
Cingular is about to start charging a fee to customers who have not yet switched to the new network. (Unforgivable.)

However, Cingular will be coming out with the 3125 (Qtek 8500) soon, which is a WM 5.0 flip phone. When it releases, I'll be getting the phone, unlocking it, and taking my business to T-Mobile.

If the phone you want is on T-Mobile, then take their rebate. They are a much higher rated in both network and customer service. :)[/list]

dorelse
08-10-2006, 05:20 PM
Yeah, its only for old Analog customers though...so unless your phone is really really old, it won't apply to most of us. Any ATT Wireless phone with a SIM card has some digital capability, so we won't be charged.

Its for people like my parents who have been using an old analog 'GO' phone for almost 6 years now.

I think I'm going to purchase an i-mate SP5m and just stay month to month for now.

I personally think Cingular is asking for a class-action lawsuit with the way they're forcing us to incur all these add'tl charges...although I guess they can always say we're welcome to leave once our contract is fulfilled.

If Sprint had this phone, it'd be an easy decision.

porktr33
08-10-2006, 07:35 PM
If Sprint had this phone, it'd be an easy decision.
LOL, yes, "Don't get it" - hehehe, I hate sprint, their customer service, weak network, and proprietary phones :)

Coming of a Symbian60 phone, I bought one of these thru T-Mobile. (I prefer them over Cingular because they are more 'open' and have better customer service). I like the phone and the os is nearly as good as symbian. I miss being able to do custom rings for groups, and to change my background based on profile. Other than that It's all good.

I don't think you'll loose anything by SIM unlocking (which is very easy) and the T-Mobile button can be remapped by changing the Short* links in the /windows directory of the phone to point to whatever you want. (Mine starts the task manager).

dorelse
08-10-2006, 08:19 PM
Thanks for all the help guys.

I think I'm going to pick up an i-mate SP5m so I have the WiFi and none of the t-mobile stuff installed.