View Full Version : Unmaking Motorola's Q

Jerry Raia
07-21-2006, 06:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://mobileanalystwatch.blogspot.com/2006/07/unmaking-motorolas-q_20.html' target='_blank'>http://mobileanalystwatch.blogspot.com/2006/07/unmaking-motorolas-q_20.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"BusinessWeek covers the the iSuppli tear-down analysis of the Motorola (MOT) Q. According to iSuppli, "it costs Motorola about $158 to build the phone. That includes components and assembly but excludes other expenses such as marketing, distribution, and licensing fees to Microsoft (MSFT), which makes the phone's Windows Mobile operating system." Currently Verizon Wireless, the joint venture of Verizon (VZ ) and Vodafone (VOD ), is the only nework operator to offer the smartphone "at a heavily subsidized $199 with a two-year service contract, and $349 with a one-year contract.""</i><br /><br />For an interesting look at what's inside the Q give this a read. It turns out it costs more to make the Q than the Blackberry which is not surprising since the Blackberry has been around quite a bit longer. The display is the most expensive single component and in my opinion was worth every cent. They did it right this time.

Rocco Augusto
07-21-2006, 07:25 PM
i remember when the RAZR came out. I read a report that said it cost $400USD to make when it first came out! Now I'm sure that figure is a little inflated but you can buy a new RAZR unlocked now for about $200USD so hopefully the Q will drop down even more within the next coming year :)

Mike Temporale
07-22-2006, 02:06 AM
I guess the real question is how much does marketing and R&amp;D add to the price? $158 sure seems reasonable to me.

Tony Rylow
07-22-2006, 02:44 AM
I was in Circuit City this morning and had the opportunity to see a Q for the first time. I was impressed with the quality of the screen. The colors were very vibrant.

The sales girl that I spoke with said that at her location they sell more of the Verizon PPC phone than they do of the Q. She said that the customers seem to prefer having the touchscreen.

I don't know about anyone else, but I could live without having a touchscreen if I could get something as thin as the Q over the PPC-Phone. The main reason for my switching to the MDA is the keyboard.

Kris Kumar
07-22-2006, 03:13 AM
Touch screens are over-rated.

The only time I have found them useful is while using navigation software and selecting a point on the map.