View Full Version : Motorola's Q Phone Has Solid Start, But Challenges Remain

Jerry Raia
07-19-2006, 01:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.newratings.com/analyst_news/article_1320524.html' target='_blank'>http://www.newratings.com/analyst_news/article_1320524.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Since coming on the market in June, Motorola Inc.'s (MOT) much-hyped Q smartphone has sold at a steady pace. Now the question is whether the company can meet the aggressive sales target it set for its first six months. Investors will get a clearer idea of how well the Q is selling when Motorola reports second-quarter results Wednesday. The company expects to ship 1.5 million units in the first 180 days, though Motorola has shown signs it could deliver two million units, according to some analysts."</i><br /><br />Interesting article about the Q and it's appeal. I can tell you after a few weeks of using it I am still very impressed with it. It is safe to say Motorola has hit a home run with it. Yes there are some minor issues which will come out in a forthcoming review but over all, an excellent device and even if not the perfect Blackberry killer, it comes very close. I hope Motorola sells millions of them because it is a solid Smartphone. One item in the article caught my attention. <i>"Seniors without a personal computer at home also showed interest in the device as a way to get Internet access".</i> EvDO on Verizon is so impressively quick that it is an idea whose time may be upon us. Internet access without any PC. Something to think about. :)

Jason Dunn
07-19-2006, 02:55 AM
One item in the article caught my attention. "Seniors without a personal computer at home also showed interest in the device as a way to get Internet access".

Sounds interesting, but I wonder about the expense of the data rates...are seniors on a fixed income going to be able to afford $80 a month (or whatever it is now).

scottb
07-19-2006, 04:04 AM
[snip...]
Sounds interesting, but I wonder about the expense of the data rates...are seniors on a fixed income going to be able to afford $80 a month (or whatever it is now).

It's $45 or $50, depending on whether you have a voice plan. There are also voice/data packages that provide a small discount when purchased together. $80 is for an unlimited data plan with a laptop card.

Jerry Raia
07-19-2006, 04:21 AM
I should have been clearer in my extraction of that thought. Not so much seniors but anyone. Not needing a PC and just being connected with email and the Internet, no PC, just a pocket device. It has an appealing aspect to it. :D

Kris Kumar
07-19-2006, 04:37 AM
I should have been clearer in my extraction of that thought. Not so much seniors but anyone. Not needing a PC and just being connected with email and the Internet, no PC, just a pocket device. It has an appealing aspect to it. :D

The idea will become even more attractive once Verizon releases an update that enables the Q as a dial up networking modem. Then you can definitely think about getting rid of those low speed DSL lines at home.

Jerry Raia
07-19-2006, 04:45 AM
Yes but I'm thinking of a way to just forget the PC. For some the Smartphone could be all they ever need!

Nikhil
07-19-2006, 07:47 AM
I definitely think Motorola has a winner here...I purchased a Q tonight because my father wanted my K-Jam for medical software reference and my Cingular contract was up.

I'm a college student/pre-med and rely heavily on my pocket devices for organizing my life...which is unfortunately hectic already. I signed up for the unlimited data plan but after this month is up, I'm altogether removing the data plan and having NationalAccess blocked simply because the rates are too expensive for me to keep year-round, especially when I'm on a WiFi-enabled campus and am sitting in the library 3/4ths of my time (with WiFi and computers). I definitely love it for text messaging and organizing, as well as for multimedia and occasional gaming...and it's especially perfect since Missing/Sync released the beta today for WM5/Mac synchronization.