View Full Version : HTC Tornado / SDA / SP5m / 2125 / any other names? Tweaks and cool stuff

aximilation
07-16-2006, 10:30 PM
Hey all, here's a guide to some cool things you might like if you have any ability to follow directions. This guy posted this on his blog and I thought I should share it, it started me on my way to modding my phone.

http://oregonstate.edu/%7Ekeiterk/?p=9

Topics covered include:
Unlocking the T-Mobile SDA
Overclocking the phone
Adding Skype which is not completely supported, but works to some degree
Application unlocking (don't require certificates anymore)
Using the computer to control the phone (4 day free trial)

I used practically the same method to unlock my SMT 5600 as well.
I would recommend this guide to anyone wanting this type of phone, I'm with Cingular and was SET on the 2125, but I stumbled across the SDA somewhere and compared it to the 2125 on phonescoop.com, said wifi?? Sweet and proceeded to find out how to unlock it for Cingular. I'm ever the more happy now.

Also, for reference, see my post at:
http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11682
if you would like to re-map the media/t-web buttons on the front, I use the media buttons for TCPMP and the red one to talk on skype.

One last thing I must point out:
Skype isn't designed for this, so you don't get the full screen. I use it to make calls out so it doesn't use my minutes, but there's issues.
You can use the joy stick to navigate to contacts or dial, enter numbers in dial, but I have no way to make or end the call. Some people have reported that they can do so by depressing the button, but no such luck for me. I hope that works for you. My solution to this is to have everyone I want to call in my contact list...that means no new calls unless I use the computer to add them, but hey, for free, it's not bad. Just remember that you need to OC the phone or else there is a big delay in the calls. As it is, I would say there is a small one, less than 1 sec to outside phone lines, and much less to other Skype users.

Enjoy!

BTW, how many names are there for this device???

aximilation
07-16-2006, 10:44 PM
I forgot, you should get TCPMP for your media, it's cooler.

Buy yourself the 2 GB mini sd card, I got mine for $51 on ebay shipped
user: memorysea
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=memorysea&item=220004557804&iid=220004557804&frm=1883&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:SID

I can fit 8-9 full length movies when I compress them to 200 MB each.
(PocketDivXEncoder)

Buying minisd: $51.
Adding 1860 MB of space, practically priceless - it's faster to copy from the computer first as well, it comes with a mini sd to full sd adapter so it will work in normal card readers as well as your cameras.

Mike Temporale
07-17-2006, 02:02 AM
BTW, how many names are there for this device???

Too many!

While the free unlocking is pretty good. I've always used a paid service. It's just easier and faster. The cost is almost nothing and, IMHO it's worth it for the savings in headaches. ;) http://www.imei-check.com/

8)

Mike Temporale
07-17-2006, 02:04 AM
Buy yourself the 2 GB mini sd card, I got mine for $51 on ebay shipped

They didn't have 2GB cards when I bought mine. :( I would like to buy a new card, but I'm not sure what my next device will be yet. And I would hate to invest in a miniSD only to find my next device uses microSD. Now, if they had a microSD to miniSD convertor I would buy a new micro card - no question.

aximilation
07-17-2006, 11:22 AM
Hey, you're in luck. I looked on ebay and they have it. This link will expire in a while, so it's bad for reference, but hey, you can see it now.
http://cgi.ebay.com/MICRO-SD-T-FLASH-TRANSFLASH-TO-MINI-SD-ADAPTOR-1GB-2GB_W0QQitemZ330008185643QQihZ014QQcategoryZ50526QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Basically, your micro fits into a mini adapter, then the mini can also fit into a full SD. Additionally, with that aution, the SD fits into a USB jumpdrive as well.

Happy with that? I don't think you'll get the micro 2 gb for $51 though. It looks like the largest you can get the micro is 1gb which seems to be about $40 to buy.

Mike Temporale
07-17-2006, 01:48 PM
Sweeet! They didn't have anything like this the last time I looked. Awesome!

aximilation
07-17-2006, 08:31 PM
I still would prefer to watch my phones and use the 2gb mini one I have though, there's something about having The matrix, Troy, a whole bunch of music, and still having space for another movie, all with me at any time. :-)

Mike Temporale
07-17-2006, 09:19 PM
Yeah, that's attractive, but for me it's more about not having to rebuy storage cards all the time. I'll pick up a 1GB micro and that should do the trick for my needs. :)

I won the auction - can't wait. :mrgreen:

aximilation
07-18-2006, 01:09 AM
Nice, enjoy it!

jkonrad0
07-31-2006, 11:22 PM
It should be noted, Skype is offering it's Call Out feature for FREE through the end of the year. So any basic, free account can now call ANY U.S. number, be it a Skype # or any other, for no extra charge.

aximilation
08-01-2006, 10:18 AM
The problem with that on my Tornado is that you cannot dial a number. More accurately, you cannot call the number once you add it. You instead have to add the contact with a computer and call the contact. It's odd, but it works. I'm happy, I call home from work for free. :-)