View Full Version : Microsoft Voice Command on Qtek 8310

prismejon
07-16-2006, 04:19 PM
Hi!

I just installed MS Voice Command 1.5 on my Qtek 8310 (iMate SP5) and I'm having some trouble with the selection of voice button (the button you select to trigger voice recognition). Of the short list of possible buttons, the only one I get to work is the Star (*) button. Unfortunately I found out that I need the Star button to unlock the phone from the keylock :huh: ...

Any suggestion on how to make any of the other button options work?
These are the possible choices:
- Record (the Qtek 8310 launches the communication manager from this button, record is launched on a long hold of the button but it will not launch Voice Command)
- Flip action (kinda hard on a candybar phone...)
- Star (*)
- App1 to App6 (I tried selecting each one, and then press all buttons, nada)

Thanks!
J-K

Mike Temporale
07-16-2006, 06:21 PM
Voice Command is for the Pocket PC only. I'm surprised it let you install it on a Smartphone.

I can't think of anyway to bypass the unlock process. Unless you write something that will automatically do it on a long keypress of some key. :?

prismejon
07-16-2006, 06:59 PM
Voice Command is for the Pocket PC only. I'm surprised it let you install it on a Smartphone.

Nope, it's for Smartphones too - they have Smartphone specific information in the "Voice Command User Guide.htm"-file that was installed with the app. It's weird that they don't mention Smartphones on the product website though...

Mike Temporale
07-17-2006, 01:41 AM
Unless it's just been released, it wasn't available for Smartphones last time I checked.

encece
07-18-2006, 01:20 AM
How did you even try to install it. ActiveSync wont allow it via the exe. And if you grab the cab and try it directly from the phone...it still doesnt allow it.

I'd be interested in knowing what you did.

prismejon
07-18-2006, 01:29 AM
How did you even try to install it. ActiveSync wont allow it via the exe. And if you grab the cab and try it directly from the phone...it still doesnt allow it.

I'd be interested in knowing what you did.

I didn't do anything special at all. I simply launched the desktop install file and it deployed the Smartphone installation through ActiveSync. What version of Voice Command are you using? I'm using version 1.5 and installing on a Smartphone with Windows Mobile 5.0

encece
07-18-2006, 02:55 AM
Same here. <1.5 wasn't around too long before 1.5 came out. VERY STRANGE. Mike, Get on it! :)

Sven Johannsen
07-18-2006, 03:48 AM
With the greater convergence of the code base with WM5 on the various platforms, I am not surprised that VC might install on some SmartPhones. I have installed some Smartphone software on PPCs and got an installation that is more onehanded but lack some touchscreen features.

Problem is typically not everything works right. To really get a single app that works right on both styles of device, the programmer needs to take that into account up front and adjust the code depending on what the code is running on, or produce two versions. We have a lot more of the second at this point. Unfortunately VC was not designed to work on a SP, and so there are things that likely don't work right, and there is not much you can do about it.

encece
07-18-2006, 04:00 AM
Understood. But why would it work on his SP5 clone and not my QTEK 8500?

EDIT...replace the work WORK with INSTALL

prismejon
07-18-2006, 09:35 AM
Well, I'm pretty sure that MS Voice Command that I have here supports Smartphones:

1. It installed directly to my Smartphone without any problems
2. The install path is: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Voice Command\Windows Mobile Smartphone\US 1.50
3. The filename of the install CAB in that directory is "Microsoft Voice Command US SP 1.50.PPC420_StrongARM.CAB"
4. The documentation ("Voice Command User Guide.htm") has specific Smartphone instructions/tips
5. The UI seems to be adapted to Smartphones (I haven't used the PocketPC version, but in my version there are no GUI elements/design decisions indicatidng that this was made for PocketPCs (screenshots in this review (http://www.bengalboy.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=542&forum=8&PHPSESSID=7f7ed569177653cef4864d1d51282f8b))
6. The possibility to choose Star (*) as the voice button doesn't seem very PocketPCish as it would require a keyboard/thumbboard
7. I've found blogs (http://www.vsdotnet.be/blogs/tommer/CommentView,guid,b9aee9e8-3cbc-4d2c-9bc1-7b59360406e5.aspx) and reviews (http://www.bengalboy.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=542&forum=8&PHPSESSID=7f7ed569177653cef4864d1d51282f8b) with the Smartphone version

But I still don't understand Smartphones aren't mentioned on the MS Voice Command website....

Btw, the complete version number is 1.50.4333.1 (checked the About dialog).

encece
07-18-2006, 10:31 AM
Did a bit of investigating (not on you personally :) )....and I'll guess that it's not a version that you bought.

aximilation
07-18-2006, 11:45 PM
Hey, I'd like to confirm that you can indeed buy voice command for the smartphone. I wanted it, but it's like $40, and I don't even spend that on game. I did wonder if anyone had used anything else like it that I could get for free or something.....
link:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/downloads/voicecommand/features.mspx

I really really want it, I had it on my pda, but it's not the right version, so too bad :-(
$40...I don't know. Anyone else know anywhere better to get it or something to the same effect? I'll report back if I do fork it out.

Edit:
Maybe I'm wrong....I now see "Pocket PC Phone Edition" ....
Apparently this refers to the pocket pc's with the phone capabilities. I'd love it if someone could get it to work though. I could have sworn it worked on WM5, so maybe?
Heck with that though, I was sorely tempted to fork out the $40 to get it, but I'm not doing that if it's a maybe on working....any words anyone?