View Full Version : Newbie wants to know: What was the the essence of the "mpx220 fiasco"??

sietsge
07-07-2006, 03:00 PM
I'm a newbie to the smartphone scene. I got a black unlocked Euro mpx220 about four months ago and I'm using it on Cingular. I've loaded some sw such as Smartphone Notes, CodeWallet Pro, and Sprite Backup - and, all things considered, I'm quite happy with it. I sync regularly with MS Outlook on desktop, and it works with Plantronics BT just fine. Firmware is 1.28.
I keep reading (as in todays lead story) about the Moto mpx220 "fiasco". Could someone provide a link to a story or article that captures the essence of what the "fiasco" was all about. Obviously something happened 'cause you don't see the mpx220 around Cingular stores anymore. I'm just really curious.
Thanks, Gerry

Jerry Raia
07-08-2006, 04:31 PM
There were a lot of problems with the MPx220. There is really no one thread that highlights it. If you do a search for "MPx220" here you will find them. Amongst the issues were very low call volume, poor camera quality, the mic would stop working, the battery cover tabs would break off and many more issues. I liked the form factor and owned one for a few months. Actually I owned 3 because I kept swapping them out due to various problems.

I'm glad you are happy with yours and welcome to the site! :)

sietsge
07-08-2006, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the info. Yes, I would certainly agree about the poor camera quality, but being my main hobby is photography, I usually have a "real" camera with me anyway. And so far, no other issues. I've put a "lot of miles" on this phone in the four months I've had it, and so far I'm really pleased. My only wish is that it had the higher speed net access capability - but GPRS works OK for email.
I chose the phone mainly because of the form factor - I really prefer the flip phone over the candybar, also wanted quad band and BT.
I will be watching some of the new flip smartphones as they become available. I hope Cingular will offer one.
Gerry

Rocco Augusto
07-09-2006, 01:44 AM
i still feel motorola should issue a formal appology for the mpx220 ;) :lol:

the main problem with the phone was a lack of a stable firmware. each time a new firmware came out it would make some things better and break other things. it was always hit or miss, it got so bad that a lot of users started making frankinROMs, mixing ROMs together, trying to get a single good ROM.

when the mpx220 worked, it worked magically but more often then not something was always failing. the biggest complaint i had when working at my old cingular store was that the mic or speakers would just die and no one would be able to hear you or you wouldnt be able to hear them.

ah, good times ;)

Jerry Raia
07-09-2006, 01:56 AM
frankinROMs

Love that. :rotfl:

hawkwd
10-19-2006, 09:20 PM
Mine always worked well as far as software and O/S was concerned, but in 2 years I went through 2 of them. The problem was the same both times. The battery charging system completely quit working. Not a huge problem for about 2 days, but after that, it was done for good...

Now I have the Cingular 3125, which is a very cool hardware replacement for the Motorola, but it is so new, that it is hard to find software that can beb loaded onto it.

onlydarksets
10-21-2006, 01:15 PM
You should be able to load anything written for WM5 Smartphone on the 3125. It shouldn't require "special" software.

Jerry Raia
10-21-2006, 05:15 PM
Unless it wasn't written for QVGA devices. :wink:

hawkwd
10-22-2006, 05:08 PM
Unfortunately not...

onlydarksets
10-22-2006, 06:39 PM
Unfortunately not...

Jerry was joking. 99% (or more?) of all software for WM5 Smartphones supports QVGA, and, therefore, will run on the 3125.

Jerry Raia
10-22-2006, 07:28 PM
Me Joking? :rainbowafro: