View Full Version : WMDVUG - Windows Mobile Developer Virtual User Group

Kris Kumar
06-27-2006, 12:45 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.wmdvug.org' target='_blank'>http://www.wmdvug.org</a><br /><br /></div><i>"For quite a while, I (Don Sorcinelli) have been involved in presenting on Windows Mobile user and developer topics to the New England (and greater) community. As a Co-Manager of the Windows Mobile group in the Greater Boston area for over 5 years, I have on a couple of occasions attempted to create a more focused developer group. ... After careful thought and considerations, as well as discussions with some folks who have been invaluable in the process (including Thom Robbins of Microsoft), the idea of creating a Virtual User Group came to mind. In this case, a “virtual user group” is essentially an community that leverages online technologies to overcome the challenges of “in-person” meetings, while still trying to provide a structure similar to a user group. To this end, the WMDVUG is a bit more than a standard online community in the sense that we will be having “meetings” using Microsoft Live Meeting technology on a regular basis."</i><br /><br />I didn't know that <i>WMD</i> also stood for Windows Mobile Developer. :D The concept of an online community that meets regularly to discuss mobile development is definitely a good one; now it is upto the WMDs to make it successful. The first meeting will include presentations on device development with Visual Studio 2005 and application deployment to Windows Mobile devices, and will be held on Wednesday, July 19th from 12 Noon - 2 PM EST. For registration information and to learn more about the WMDVUG check out their <a href="http://www.wmdvug.org/">Web site.</a>

Don Sorcinelli
06-27-2006, 07:51 PM
Kris,

Thanks for the posting. I think that "WMD" as an acronym for "Windows Mobile Developer" is only slightly less controversial than that other use :-)

We are trying to "rock the registration" (so to speak) for this meeting in order to prove both interest and viability. I really think this is a great way to bring together the Windows Mobile developer community. If anyone out there reading this agrees, I really encourage them to sign up for the July 19th meeting to show their support.

Thanks everyone!

DonS

Mike Temporale
06-27-2006, 09:45 PM
I think that "WMD" as an acronym for "Windows Mobile Developer" is only slightly less controversial than that other use :-)

Well, I was thinking Windows Mobile Device. What are you guys thinking? No, wait. Don't tell me. I'm afraid of what you guys might be thinking. :wink:

We are trying to "rock the registration" (so to speak) for this meeting in order to prove both interest and viability. I really think this is a great way to bring together the Windows Mobile developer community.

I think it's an excellent idea. I've been to some local user groups but I always wanted more mobility focused or more dev focus. So this has both of those. Who could as for more. :D I plan on signing up - but I have to wait to see what the next couple days bring.

Kris Kumar
06-27-2006, 11:30 PM
This WMD is going to blow away the infidels aka BlackBerry and Symbian Developer Groups. :lol:

Kris Kumar
06-27-2006, 11:36 PM
I have signed up. It is definitely a great idea compared to having a regional group that meets at one physical location.

The only concern I have that it is during the middle of the day for us on the east coast, so a little tough.

I hope a recording of the meeting will be available for developers who couldn't attend it live.