View Full Version : Land Rover Spams My Phone in Times Square

Mike Temporale
06-27-2006, 01:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/002287.html' target='_blank'>http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/002287.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Land Rover was able to start transferring data to my phone without my explicit permission because I'd left it on the "Discoverable" setting, meaning that other nearby Bluetooth devices were able to detect its presence. I guess I'd been lulled into not looking at this as a security issue because hookups of two Bluetooth devices normally require a pairing process that requires human intervention, even though I know of the hackish prank known as Bluejacking. But it hadn't dawned on me that a discoverable phone could be discovered by an advertising broadcast."</i><br /><br />We've talked about this a couple different times, but it was always about companies thinking of doing. This is the first case, that I can recall, where it has actually been done and done in a very busy corner of the world. I'm sure the number of people that are getting blasted this video is staggering. Here's another thought, what happens if have to walk by this every day on your way to and from work? Or better yet; What if you work in the Starbucks underneath the sign? Does that mean your phone is constantly downloading this video? Time to turn off discover mode!

vincenzosi
06-27-2006, 01:07 AM
Seems kind of common sensical to me to turn off discoverable unless you're pairing something... Doesn't make this any more acceptable, but still...

James Sonne
06-27-2006, 01:27 PM
My phone is never discoverable. Why would it be? Just a waste of battery life. If I pair something, I make THAT device discoverable.

Sven Johannsen
06-27-2006, 01:59 PM
Hey, if you have discoverable on, it's like soliciting connections. You have given an implicit OK. :wink:

I think this sort of advertising may be short lived. It is too easy for consumers to turn it off. I think many just don't realize it is on by default on many devices, and doesn't shut itself off by itself on most.

sporkguy
06-28-2006, 12:52 PM
Leaving discoverably mode on, or even bluetooth fullstop, is draining a ship load of juice from your smartphone.

Is it wrong these companies are taking advantage of people's stupidity? I'd say it was quite clever of the company ;)

Sven Johannsen
06-29-2006, 05:14 AM
Leaving discoverably mode on, or even bluetooth fullstop, is draining a ship load of juice from your smartphone.I don't think the drain is that significant. I leave BT on all the time on my K-Jam, and it doesn't seem to have that much effect. It is just more convinient since I have a integrated car kit. Whenever I get in it just connects. Never have to think about it.