View Full Version : ActiveSync Problems with SDA

mambi.macho
06-23-2006, 01:21 AM
Hi Guys,

I am having the following issues with activesync. The first time I installed it on my laptop, it was giving me an error whenever I tried to synchronize. So I uninstalled the software and re-installed it. Now, the activesync screen I see 2 Windows PC's, Windows PC and Windows PC 2. The same happens on the phone also. Although it doesn't do anything, its irritating to see that over there. Is there a way I can remove it?

The other issue is, when I sync my contacts from Outlook, not all the contacts come up. It depends on the phone format. I had typed in the phone numbers continuously without any spaces or hiphens in between (2139999999) for some of the numbers. Others had hiphens (213-999-9999) . If I change this format to ones with hiphens or spaces, and then sync again, that contact gets uploaded to the phone. Any clue why this could happen?

Is there a way to count the number of contacts on the mobile, I would like to check if all contacts from my outlook are there, rather than checking one by one.

Mike Temporale
06-23-2006, 02:34 AM
I would try to remove the partnership and start fresh. From the desktop ActiveSync, try File / Delete Mobile Device /

mambi.macho
06-23-2006, 03:13 AM
Any clue on the Outlook issue?

Mike Temporale
06-23-2006, 04:08 AM
Any clue on the Outlook issue?

NAh, I can't think of any reasons why you wouldn't get all the contacts regardless of the number. Unless you're phone is full - but I don't think that's the case.

All my numbers are in the correct format of +1 (xxx) xxx-xxxx The reason I spent time getting everything cleaned up is because it makes dialing long distance easier. No need to fumble around and add the 1 or remove the 1.

Mark Kenepp
06-23-2006, 05:22 AM
All my numbers are in the correct format of +1 (xxx) xxx-xxxx The reason I spent time getting everything cleaned up is because it makes dialing long distance easier. No need to fumble around and add the 1 or remove the 1.

One of my biggest peeves with Outlook :bad-words:

I always enter my numbers in International Format (+[country code] [area code] [prefix] [phone number]) but I hate how Outlook forces the area code in parenthesis and forces the hyphen between the prefix and the number. I didn't know it was possible to override that.

Maybe it is not a related issue at all.

I would first work out the issue with the partnership then deal with the problem with correctly syncing your contacts.

As for counting them, I couldn't find a way on my SDA but if you view them by company, you get a count for each company. Depending on how many companies are in your contacts might help you narrow it down.

mambi.macho
06-23-2006, 06:01 AM
I always enter my numbers in International Format (+[country code] [area code] [prefix] [phone number]) but I hate how Outlook forces the area code in parenthesis and forces the hyphen between the prefix and the number. I didn't know it was possible to override that.

Mine does not do that. It just leaves a space between 1 and the areacode. Thats all it does.

Mike Temporale
06-23-2006, 02:05 PM
Mine does not do that. It just leaves a space between 1 and the areacode. Thats all it does.

If you click the button next to the phone number field and then close the window that appears the number is reformated to the above format.

Mark Kenepp
06-23-2006, 08:43 PM

A MS Article (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=258171) describes how to fix the autoformatting of phone numbers if it is broken. I also read that if you have not set up your Location settings then auto-format will not work.

I am still p*** that there is no way to choose your own format for phone numbers, but that has nothing to do with your problem.

I wonder if your syncing problem may have to do with the location settings?

mambi.macho
06-23-2006, 09:02 PM
Hey!! Thanks. That fixed the formatting problem. But the sync problem is still there. There are some contacts that have only email addresses. Some of them get uploaded some of them don't. And I still have space on the internal memory.

Mark Kenepp
06-23-2006, 10:35 PM
So, some contacts sync, others do not.

Did you go through and delete your partnerships and start from scratch?

It might be that there will be a fair amount of trial and error to be done here. I would suggest backing up your contacts in Outlook so that you can do some experimenting with synchronization.

It could very well be that there is corruption in your contacts. I am not sure exactly the best way to fix that problem but exporting the contacts then importing them again in Outlook might clear up any corruption.

You could try backing up your contacts then test your synchronization with a handful of newly created contacts to see if it works. If it does, then you should experiment with smaller groups of your contacts and see if the problem pops up again, working your way up with larger groups until you are once again syncing all your contacts.

Out of curiosity, how many contacts are we talking about here?

mambi.macho
06-23-2006, 10:46 PM
Not many, about 140 contacts. What do you mean delete the partnership. I tried uninstalling and resinstalling Active Sync. The phone now shows two PCs. I don't know how to delete that also.

Mark Kenepp
06-24-2006, 01:06 AM
To delete the partnership on the phone, open activesync (through the start menu) and click on the menu softkey (should be the one on the right).

Select Options (number 1)

Scroll up/down to highlight the partnership, in your case "Windows PC" then click the menu softkey and select delete (number 1).

To delete the partnership in activesync on the desktop, open activesync by double-clicking on the activesync tray icon. Select "Delete Mobile Device" from the File menu.

If there is more than one mobile device listed in the Mobile Device fly-out in the file menu, you may want to delete all of them. Then when you plug in your SDA to your computer, you should be asked to create a new partnership.

Are you syncing directly with a desktop computer or through an Exchange Server Activesync connection?

vincenzo
06-25-2006, 01:40 AM
I'm having similar problems with Activesync and Outlook contacts on my new SDA.

I have about 900 contacts in my Outlook contacts. After synching with activesync, about 250 of them are on the phone. There's no indication on the computer or the SDA of any failure in the synch. I have uninstalled and reinstalled activesync, deleted and recreated the partnerships, run it with outlook open and with outlook shut down--the results are the same.

I can't discern any pattern to which contacts synched and which didn't, but I will look at it more closely to see if I can find something.

I was able to flawlessly synch contacts with my Audiovox SMT5600. So maybe it's a WM5 issue?

Your suggestions would be appreciated.

system details
Win XP pro
Activesync 4.0
Outlook 2003
connection via USB

Mark Kenepp
06-25-2006, 03:24 AM
system details
Win XP pro
Activesync 4.0
Outlook 2003
connection via USB

One thing you could try is to download Activesync 4.1 (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/downloads/activesync41.mspx)

I am getting a little paranoid :worried: . I never really checked to see that all my contacts were syncing.

vincenzo
06-25-2006, 05:30 PM
system details
Win XP pro
Activesync 4.0
Outlook 2003
connection via USB

One thing you could try is to download Activesync 4.1 (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/downloads/activesync41.mspx)

I am getting a little paranoid :worried: . I never really checked to see that all my contacts were syncing.

re: activesync 4.1, I had originally installed it but was unable to successfully connect at all, so I downgraded to 4.0. I could try 4.1 again, but isn't this thing supposed to be a PRODUCTIVITY tool, not a black hole for all my free time :lol: ?

In the meantime, I downloaded the trial version of Chapura Pocket Mirror Professional for WM, and was able to successfully sync all the contacts. But somehow I have a hard time justifying paying $50 for an add-on program that does what a/s is supposed to do in the first place.