View Full Version : T-Mobile SDA Questions

mambi.macho
06-21-2006, 04:59 PM
Hi Guys,

A couple of questions:

1. On my SDA, I see an icon 'G' on the top center. What does this indicate.

2. Does the SDA Wi-Fi connect to 802.1g or only 'b' networks.

3. Is it possible to rearrage the entries in the start menu. ie. If I want task manager and file manager in the first screen instead of 2nd and 3rd screens.

4. Is there a manual or user guide that gives more info on how to use the phone? The one that comes with the phone is not very helpful.

Thanks.
Sriram

Mike Temporale
06-21-2006, 06:47 PM
1. On my SDA, I see an icon 'G' on the top center. What does this indicate.

it means the data connection (GPRS) is open - it doesn't mean it's in use. Just that it's open and ready for use.

2. Does the SDA Wi-Fi connect to 802.1g or only 'b' networks.

"b" - but most g networks should allow older b devices to connect.

3. Is it possible to rearrage the entries in the start menu. ie. If I want task manager and file manager in the first screen instead of 2nd and 3rd screens.

Yes. Look at tools like Tweak2K to help with this. Personally, I just create Speed Dial entries for programs I use on a regular basis. Check out this article for more information on how to set this up --> http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,5880

4. Is there a manual or user guide that gives more info on how to use the phone? The one that comes with the phone is not very helpful.

Nothing more than what came with the phone. Don't worry, it's not that hard. Just keep asking questions and you'll have it all figured out before you know it. :D

mambi.macho
06-21-2006, 06:51 PM
Thanks Mike

mambi.macho
06-21-2006, 07:03 PM
Don't worry, it's not that hard. Just keep asking questions and you'll have it all figured out before you know it. :D

Now that you have opened the doors for me... here you go.

I am unable to connect to the wireless network... When I select an SSID and click Connect, Nothing happens... no response, no pop up screen telling its connecting.. etc.

Then if I go back one screen and hit Connection Status, it just displays as Scanning Network.. and the SSID is blank.

How do i know if it is connected

Thanks.
Sriram

Mike Temporale
06-21-2006, 07:23 PM
Is your network locked down? I have MAC filtering turned on along with WEP. I know that the response you are describing is very similiar to what I see when I haven't added the phones MAC address to my WiFi Router.

mambi.macho
06-21-2006, 07:26 PM
Its not mac filtered. Mine is a secure WPA network and I entered the network key for that. I tried a neighbour's unsecured network, to which I am able to connect from my laptop which means they don't have mac filtering either.

Mike Temporale
06-21-2006, 07:35 PM
Alright...

I am unable to connect to the wireless network... When I select an SSID and click Connect, Nothing happens... no response, no pop up screen telling its connecting.. etc.

Ok - there is no pop up screens on this. When you press Connect you need to watch the icon in the top tool bar - it looks like a tower with a halo around the top. It should have 3 dots after it. This means it is working on establishing a connection. The 3 dots will disappear and then you know the connection was made. If the 3 dots and the halo dissappear, then no connection was made.

So, press Connect and wait. It can take a good minute or 3. ;)

If you have the wrong network key, it will promtp you for the right one.

Let me know if that helps.