View Full Version : Problems Installing a CAB

mambi.macho
06-20-2006, 05:47 PM
Just copy the cab file to any folder/location on your smartphone. I use \Storage Card\ Then, from the phone open, File Explorer, and browse to that file, highlight it, and click Action. :)

How do I uninstall a program . I just got my SDA 2 days back, don't know the technicals yet.. :(

Thanks

Mike Temporale
06-20-2006, 05:49 PM
How do I uninstall a program . I just got my SDA 2 days back, don't know the technicals yet.. :(

Thanks

Uninstall - just press Start / Settings / Remove Programs, highlight the program you want to remove and press action, then follow the on-screen prompts. 8)

mambi.macho
06-20-2006, 09:51 PM
Hi Guys,

I am unable to find the cab file that I transfered on my mobile. This is what I did. I opened My Computer on my laptop. There is an Icon My Mobile in it.

I created a new folder within this and copied the cab file into it. The activesync sofware modified the file format and put it there.

Now, I browsed thru the file struction on the mobile. I find the new folder that I created but it doesn't have any cab file inside it. It's just empty.

What am I doing wrong.. Someone help please?? :(

Thanks.

Mike Temporale
06-20-2006, 10:57 PM
Copy the file again. It sounds like it might have been erased or failed to copy for whatever reason. Where is the folder you created? I would recommend it be on the storage card.

mambi.macho
06-20-2006, 11:01 PM
I created the folder under My Documents. If I explore the device from my laptop, I can still see the file. Also, haven't bought a storage card yet, although I will be getting one soon. But should it matter?

As a Matter of Fact, even the songs I copied to the phone shows up on the media player library, but I can't find them in the folders.. What might be the problem?

mambi.macho
06-20-2006, 11:28 PM
I deleted the file and copied it again, still doesn't work. In my Microsoft ActiveSync window, under the Windows PC tab, I have the following entries:

Information Type_____________________Status
Contacts
Calendar
E-mail (I have not configured the email yet)
Tasks
Media___________________________Setup must be completed

Should I see some other entry for applications or files? Is it because only the above items are synchronized, that I am unable to find the application?

Mike Temporale
06-21-2006, 02:56 AM
I split this post off into it's own thread as not to derail the Automatic Keylock topic.

I think I see what's going wrong here. The Smartphone doesn't have a file sync option like the Pocket PC does.

You need to copy the file to My Computer / Mobile Device / My Windows Mobile-Based Device / My Documents or Temp or whatever you feel.

ditch_azeroth
06-21-2006, 03:08 AM
right that is. think of it as a mass storage device. i usually transfer my cabs to the temp folder so that it would be easier to keep track of things ^_^

Kris Kumar
06-21-2006, 03:16 AM
The only things I can think of:

- the files have hidden attribute turned on
- Or in the File Manager after you get to the folder you created, select the folder and click on the left softkey for "ListView" if you see that option. Just making sure that you are looking inside the folder. The mobile file explorer can be confusing at times.

mambi.macho
06-21-2006, 03:39 AM
I think I am looking for the file in the wrong way. Can you guys tell me how to browse the folders from the home screen?

Thanks.

Mike Temporale
06-21-2006, 03:41 AM
I think I am looking for the file in the wrong way. Can you guys tell me how to browse the folders from the home screen?

Thanks.

Mambi,

Unless you copied the file using the process I outlined above, you're not going to find it. Placing a file on your computer under MyDocuments / DeviceName is not going to put the file on your device. There is no file sync on the Smartphone.

Once you have copied it correctly to your phone, just run File Explorer in the Start Menu of your device and you'll find it.

mambi.macho
06-21-2006, 03:48 AM
Thanks guys. I did a stupid thing. I always went into Picture Viewer instead of File Manager. So it was displaying only the image files. I didn't see the file manager until now. On the start menu I was looking only at the first screen. I didn't realize there were more screens.

Thank you very much to all you guys. I will try to be less dumber next time.

Sriram