View Full Version : Is ActiveSync going senile?

Mark Kenepp
06-06-2006, 12:31 AM
I like to keep my calendar, contacts and tasks in sync. ActiveSync has always been pretty good with this. I also want to be able to check my email from my work Exchange Server when needed. Exchange ActiveSync handles this pretty well too. Now, why can ActiveSync not understand the difference between me connecting my SDA to my desktop through USB to sync calendar, contacts and tasks and/or going wirelessly through a GPRS/EDGE connection to sync my mailbox.

I have set ActiveSync up to sync calendar, contacts, favorites and tasks through Outlook on the Desktop PC and when I am away from the office, I want to be able to sync my email (just email) through EAS.

Every time I plug my SDA into my USB port, ActiveSync tries, and fails, to connect to the Exchange Server and gives me synchronization errors. Sometimes totally crapping out the local sync :bad-words:

What gives?

I don't have this problem with my notebook running ActiveSync 3.7 when connecting to my iPaq 2215. It graciously runs through synchronizing everything I want it to but when it comes to syncing email, which is set up to sync directly with the Exchange Server, it stops knowing that the synchronization is controlled by the handheld when connecting through an Internet connection to the Exchange Server.

Is this a Smartphone thing, an ActiveSync 4.1 thing or a Windows Mobile 5 thing?

Sure I could just sync everything through EAS but then I would not be able to sync my tasks :x

BTW, this whole issue has been bothering me for a few months now but today I was setting up one of my co-worker's Palm Treo to sync email through the EVDO connection and guess what :really mad: if you sync the PALM Treo's email through EAS, you can not sync anything directly to the desktop with Hotsync! So, he is SOL regarding any task synchronization.

Am I the only one who has these issues? Maybe I am the only one who sees it as a problem?

ditch_azeroth
06-06-2006, 06:50 AM
i'm not sure how i can help... but try this: unplug from usb>delete partnership>setup partnership< or maybe your memory's full... what was the specific error that popped out?

Mark Kenepp
06-06-2006, 06:19 PM
i'm not sure how i can help... but try this: unplug from usb>delete partnership>setup partnership< or maybe your memory's full... what was the specific error that popped out?

Thanks for the offer but I don't think that there is anything that can be helped. I am pretty sure that this is a "feature" of ActiveSync 4.1 or WM 5.0 or possibly Smartphone.

It always gives errors but rarely causes problems. There have only been one or two times when the sync failed entirely (hung, actually).

But if you want to know the error message:

The server could not be reached. This can be cause by temporary network conditions.

Support Code:80072ee2

Of course the server can not be reached. The address to my Exchange server is different through the LAN than it is through the Internet. Am I supposed to go in and change the Exchange Server Address every time I go from syncing at the office to syncing over GPRS/EDGE?

And quite frankly, I really don't want to sync my email while I am sitting at my desk. I can read it just fine on my 21" CRT!

When I sync over GPRS/EDGE ActiveSync doesn't try to connect to my Desktop Outlook Client!

Maybe I am missing something but I think that that is just how it works.