View Full Version : Are there any "E" registry hacks?

Pete Paxton
06-04-2006, 10:36 PM
Are there any registry hacks that will cause my "G" to turn into an "E" when in Edge mode on my SDA?

Rocco Augusto
06-04-2006, 11:58 PM
Are there any registry hacks that will cause my "G" to turn into an "E" when in Edge mode on my SDA?

there is. using your regeditor navigate to:

HKLM\Drivers\BuiltIn\RIL

once there change the "EnableDifferGprsEdgeIcon" value to 1--decimal, not hex

Mike Temporale
06-05-2006, 01:39 AM
As Rocco pointed out, you can make the change, but it's just a visual change. It doesn't actually turn on or off EDGE. It just shows the icon.

Pete Paxton
06-05-2006, 03:42 AM
Feel free to treat me like a total dumbhead here. Do I download a regeditor or do I already have one with Win XP? Also, how do I navigate to
HKLM\Drivers\BuiltIn\RIL? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Last question: when you say that it will not turn edge on or off, will it toggle from E to G when I am in an edge area? Thanks for the help. Sorry to be so dumb.

Mike Temporale
06-05-2006, 04:03 AM
Do I download a regeditor or do I already have one with Win XP?

You'll need to download something to allow you to modify the registry on your device. Just search these forums and you should see a number of free registry editors.

Also, how do I navigate to HKLM\Drivers\BuiltIn\RIL? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

You need a registry editor first. ;) Then navigate to that location.

Last question: when you say that it will not turn edge on or off, will it toggle from E to G when I am in an edge area? Thanks for the help. Sorry to be so dumb.

All it does it show the E instead of the G. That's it. There's no advantage to this hack. It doesn't turn on Edge or anything like that. It just shows you the icon when you have access to edge. In all reality, you don't need this. I'm sure you'll find that most of the time you have Edge anyway. ;)

Pete Paxton
06-05-2006, 04:27 AM
So here's the deal. I found a registry editor and navigated to HKLM\Drivers\BuiltIn\RIL and changed the "EnableDifferGprsEdgeIcon" value to 1. What do I do after this? My device still only has a G at the top - no E. Interesting: I disconnected from AS and then reconnected and opened the registry again and the value was still set to 1. I then took out the battery and replaced it and then reconnected to AS and opened the registry and it was set back to 0. Any way to save it to 1? By the way, I am in Keizer, OR between Portland and Salem. I wonder if I get edge here?

Rocco Augusto
06-05-2006, 05:01 AM
So here's the deal. I found a registry editor and navigated to HKLM\Drivers\BuiltIn\RIL and changed the "EnableDifferGprsEdgeIcon" value to 1. What do I do after this? My device still only has a G at the top - no E. Interesting: I disconnected from AS and then reconnected and opened the registry again and the value was still set to 1. I then took out the battery and replaced it and then reconnected to AS and opened the registry and it was set back to 0. Any way to save it to 1? By the way, I am in Keizer, OR between Portland and Salem. I wonder if I get edge here?

after you change it exit the app and restart the device. you should see the E :)

Pete Paxton
06-05-2006, 06:22 AM
Sure enough, it was powering off that did the trick. I now have a big ol E at the top. So if I go to an area that does not have Edge, will it turn back to a G? Thanks for your help.

Rocco Augusto
06-05-2006, 06:52 AM
yep. i find i hit at least one section of town a day where i get the dreaded G icon :)