View Full Version : syncing a smartphone and a PPC with the same computer?

zilla31
05-19-2006, 05:01 PM
Hey guys - i'm new to the smartphone world but a longtime PPC user (dell axim x50v currently). i have a quick question:

when i go into options/settings in activesync, i see that there are 2 "things" listed here, my smartphone w/ checkboxes for calendar, tasks, email, etc. and then "windows PC" w/ the same checkboxes. what does this mean exactly? i would have expected to only see one list (like i do for my PPC)...

thanks.

Mark Kenepp
05-19-2006, 05:57 PM
Are you talking about the settings on your desktop or on the Smartphone itself?

On my desktop, there is a listing for "Exchange Server" and a listing for "Windows PC". You can set up synchronization either directly with an Exchange Server or sync to your Outlook client on your Windows PC, or both.

Which brings up a peeve of mine.

Why is it that whenever I connect to my desktop PC to synchronize my Smartphone, Activesync insists on trying to synchronize the Exchange Server? :bad-words:

I think I will save that for another thread.

Mike Temporale
05-19-2006, 06:28 PM
I'm pretty sure he's talking about the Smartphone side. I see 2 things listed under Active Sync / Menu / Options. The first is Exchange Server, and the second is Windows PC. I'm not sure how you would get "Smartphone" listed in there. :?

zilla31
05-19-2006, 06:52 PM
i deleted the partnership and started from scratch and now i only see "windows PC"... if i'm not syncing to exchange then this is all i *should* see (e.g. i'm good to go) right?

thanks a ton.

while i have you guys ear, how can i change the name of my device (that appears in activesync on the desktop)? it didn't ask me for a name when i created the partnership (using AS 4.2 BTW), so i'm stuck w/ some default name there...

Mike Temporale
05-19-2006, 09:09 PM
You have to change this in the registry on the phone. I'm not sure where it is in the registry and I'm having an off day when I search the forums. :(

Mike Temporale
05-19-2006, 09:12 PM
Found it. You have to edit the following registry location

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Ident and set the Name element to the name you want for your device. :D

zilla31
05-19-2006, 10:03 PM
thanks so much mike... i appreciate it big time. i'm familiar w/ editing registry on my desktop and PPC but where do i go to do that on my new smartphone? and do i need a tool or is there a built in editor?

sojourner753
05-25-2006, 02:01 PM
thanks so much mike... i appreciate it big time. i'm familiar w/ editing registry on my desktop and PPC but where do i go to do that on my new smartphone? and do i need a tool or is there a built in editor?

As a new 2125 owner I'm also interested in this answer.

Mike Temporale
05-25-2006, 02:21 PM
There's no built in registry editor. You'll have to find a free one or purchase one from someplace. There's lots of free one's around. just do a search of the forums and I'm sure you'll find a number of them mentioned. :wink: