View Full Version : Mobile Phone Stolen Every 12 Seconds

Jerry Raia
05-19-2006, 03:30 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2006-05-16T063527Z_01_L15754287_RTRUKOC_0_UK-CRIME-BRITAIN-PHONE.xml' target='_blank'>http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2006-05-16T063527Z_01_L15754287_RTRUKOC_0_UK-CRIME-BRITAIN-PHONE.xml</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Thieves steal a mobile phone every 12 seconds in Britain, with Lancaster the worst hotspot, according to insurance company figures released on Tuesday. More than two million phones worth 390 million pounds were stolen in 2005, said Halifax Home Insurance, which collated the figures. Halifax said the figures were based on its data combined with government statistics. Previous official estimates have suggested about 700,000 phones are stolen each year."</i><br /><br />Wow that is a lot of phones! I wonder what the figure is state side. More important, I wonder how many Smartphones. It doesn't say how they are stolen. I'd be curious how may are ripped out of users hands or just taken from being left laying around.

Rocco Augusto
05-19-2006, 06:43 AM
i don't know what the figures for stolen phones are but i do know that 80% of water damaged devices, which is 40% of all damage phones in the US, were dropped in the toilet :lol:

stingray
05-19-2006, 09:54 AM
when i was out clubbing a few months ago this guy (must've been completely drunk) just gave me his phone to hold and then he never came back to collect it :|
i kept it hoping he'd call it but i think he must have just reported it lost cos the next day it was displaying "invalid sim"
it was a motorola v600
he must have been to drunk to remember what he did with it LOL

Rocco Augusto
05-19-2006, 07:54 PM
...it was a motorola v600
he must have been to drunk to remember what he did with it LOL

oh trust me, he knew full well what he was doing with that. :lol:

now its your problem ;) :lol:

Damion Chaplin
05-19-2006, 11:58 PM
You would think that there'd be some sort of national database where you could report your phone's IMEI as stolen. Then when someone tried activating that IMEI it would come up as stolen and they'd be out of luck. It might just make those phones less tempting to steal...

randalllewis
05-20-2006, 05:11 PM
Thanks for posting this article. I loved the comment from an official who said people should avoid walking and talking and keep their mobiles out of sight. So, now we aren't supposed to use mobiles when driving, walking, sitting in theaters or restaurants, It seems like using a phone is becomming like smoking. Maybe we should junk them all and go back to land lines only. It's a whole lot safer. (I am kidding.)

rainbow5
06-08-2006, 02:57 AM
hi guys,

i bought this cool app "privacy protection and theft detection" that helps you trace theive's SIM number and location details. it is called SAVE.

if not for theft then the SMS locking feature is cool. least no one can read my text messages.

i bought SAVE for my Nokia n70.

you guys check it out too.

click is the link - http://www.avetech.biz.

cheers