View Full Version : Part II - What's the Biggest Missing Feature for your Smartphone?

Mike Temporale
05-04-2006, 02:00 PM
Last week we talked about the Biggest Missing Feature for your Smartphone (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11003) and I have to admit that I'm more than a little surprised to see so many of you pick a software based feature. I was expecting to hear all about how Windows Mobile Smartphones are lacking in design and style. I truly expected to see people suggest more memory, GPS, USB 2.0, better phone designs like a slider, or perhaps a flip-phone. Or what about a touchscreen or slide/fold-out keyboard?

Instead, there was loads of posts about what new features you would like to see on the software front and that's ok, I guess. :wink: I've always taken the approach that the software can be updated or added at any time. While hardware is a little permanent and harder to change and it's a much greater cost to upgrade your phone, but adding software is cheap and easy. So this week I want to take a step back and ask a more general question. I want to know if you're biggest missing feature is hardware based or software based. Take the poll and let us know. (Here's hoping the hardware crowd speaks up this time. ;) )

egads
05-04-2006, 02:40 PM
What I'd like to see should be simple, but we'll never see it:

A flip phone with a touch screen.
A phone that sounds at least as good as a wired phone.
A phone/network that does not drop calls in tunnels & subways.
A phone without a camera, Wifi, GPS, IM, email, and web browser.
A service plan that cost $12 US a month
Phones that cost $400-$500 and are not given away so only the people who truly need them use them.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I sit at a desk all day and all I need my phone to be is a phone and a PIM, nothing more. I think smartphones in general are geared to buisness people who are out of the office a lot, not to people who just use them for phones...

Oops, forgot to add I want a screen you can actually read outside in the sun...

macattack
05-04-2006, 03:13 PM
I couldn't answer the poll question because my answer includes both hardware and software.

What I would like to see is Office compatibility out-of-the-box. And since editing a Word document on the keys of a standard phone would be beyond painful, I would like to see a slider QWERTY keyboard. I guess the form factor would be a candy bar design, with a standard set of number keys, soft keys, joystick, etc. when held like a standard phone. The keyboard could slide out from the side a la the K-Jam, automatically re-orienting the screen to landscape mode (I think LG makes a couple phones like this for Cingular as well). Taking anything remotely approaching a detailed note or editing any kind of text document on a smartphone is presently a repetitive strain injury just waiting to happen.

Jason Dunn
05-04-2006, 04:46 PM
For me, it's mostly about hardware at this point: I want a clamshell Smartphone that's nice and thin yet still has a great screen. I don't mind the SP5m, but I'm really looking forward to the HTC Star Trek because it seems to have a great physical design.

Rocco Augusto
05-04-2006, 06:02 PM
i would like to see more high speed data (3G) phones. also it wouldn't hurt to have phones in several different colors. im always a little bit sad when i see a hot new phone and its just a plain cloudy black/grey

guapoharry
05-04-2006, 07:57 PM
Would it be unfair to say the author got the desired answer this time?

On the other hand, my answer to the previous thread was primarily concerned with improvements that could be gained for stuff that exists. I'm weary of anticipating mirages that may appear in a product next year, IF your carrier picks it up.

For example, there was all this buzz on US cingular forums about the Motorola Q, but Verizon seems to have an exclusive on it now. Another unrequited expectation.

The last thread started off like this:

We're all walking around with these incredibly powerful devices in our pockets. Each device has mega-bytes upon mega-bytes of memory, lots of CPU power, beautiful screens, and the list just keeps going on.

Maybe if the tone was a little more neutral, like the end off the thread:

I want to know what is the single biggest missing feature that you want to see added to your next Smartphone. It doesn't matter if your missing feature is hardware or software based,

the answers might have been a little more random.

edgar
05-04-2006, 10:03 PM
I still want my scroll click wheel! You already have a volume "bar", why can't that be a scroll click wheel instead?

And I dont want the Q or a Blackberry. Why can't this great, small, perfect device for a phone be on all phones. Even flip phones. I used it extensively on my old Casio PPC's. It makes one handed operations all that much better and easier.

It's either that, or yet again, some tool has a patent on it and want's his $2 per unit and the manufacturer said no. I'd pay $10 more to get one again.

Ohhh and, like Opti, I hate going to the Mall Kiosks (or awaiting some expensive 'special model') to get carbon fiber, Jerry's Mauve, or any other innovative cover. I'm thinking these case guys are the same ones that make the beige PC cases and black/silver keyboards

-Edgar

Mike Temporale
05-05-2006, 04:28 AM
Would it be unfair to say the author got the desired answer this time?

Did I get the answer I wanted? Umm, well I think it's a little early to judge that. And I'm sorry you seem to think that the posts are aimed at getting a certian response. I think you're reading way too much into all this. ;)

Mike Temporale
05-05-2006, 04:32 AM
I couldn't answer the poll question because my answer includes both hardware and software.

Good point. There are lots of area's for improvement, but you must have one feature that you desire more than all the rest. The one that bugs you the most.

Neil
05-06-2006, 03:48 AM
I just want a phone from HTC that doesn't get dust under the screen :D

Neil

Mike Temporale
05-06-2006, 04:11 AM

Neil

You're not alone. I think the StarTrek is a major step in that direction since there is only one opening on the phone and it's on the lower half. It's too early to know for sure, but I've got my fingers crossed. :D

Jerry Raia
05-07-2006, 03:35 PM
I think the hump should be bigger! :lol:

Rocco Augusto
05-09-2006, 12:37 AM
I think the hump should be bigger! :lol:

funny story, so today i was showing a customer the 2125 and she made a comment about the "thing on the top of the phone". i shot back something along the lines of "thats the hump, good for reception" except she thought i was making a vulgar comment about wanting to "h" word her "good" or something. needless to say, i got slapped in the arm and she called me a perv.

confused i pointed at the phone and asked her how i was a perv for saying the hump got her better reception. realizing that she totally only caught part of my previous statement she turned as red as a tomato and tried to make up some excuse and then left. :lol:

good times :lol:

long live the hump!

Jerry Raia
05-09-2006, 01:54 AM
You should have referred her to this site. Full of Hump I should say. :lol:

edgar
05-09-2006, 01:54 AM
... tried to make up some excuse and then left

Did you get her number before she left? For, uhm, ehm, Jerry?

:twisted:

Jerry Raia
05-09-2006, 01:59 AM
... tried to make up some excuse and then left

Did you get her number before she left? For, uhm, ehm, Jerry?

:twisted:

Hey if she didn't buy a Smartphone she is off my list!

edgar
05-09-2006, 02:01 AM
WHAT! She wanted a smartphone, that knucklehead Opti messed it up....

Uhh ohh, Opti made us go off topic again - he is evil!

Rocco Augusto
05-09-2006, 02:15 AM
hehe, im glad it only took about 4 replies to my topic before someone realized i derailed another thread :lol: :oops:

Jerry Raia
05-09-2006, 03:20 AM
hehe, im glad it only took about 4 replies to my topic before someone realized i derailed another thread :lol: :oops:

Yeah this is getting to be a habit!

Mike Temporale
05-09-2006, 04:10 AM
funny story, so today i was showing a customer the 2125 and she made a comment about the "thing on the top of the phone". i shot back something along the lines of "thats the hump, good for reception" except she thought i was making a vulgar comment about wanting to "h" word her "good" or something. needless to say, i got slapped in the arm and she called me a perv.

confused i pointed at the phone and asked her how i was a perv for saying the hump got her better reception. realizing that she totally only caught part of my previous statement she turned as red as a tomato and tried to make up some excuse and then left. :lol:

:rotfl: Oh, that's a great story.

So, you're saying that you want to see more phones with hump styled antennas? The trend has been to pull the antenna back into the phone and thus allow for greater stylings on the devices. But you would rather see more external antennas. :?

subzerohf
05-09-2006, 08:03 PM

Neil

The screen dust issue tops my list. This morning I looked at the screen of my SMT5600 under brigh sunlight. It was plagued with dust behind the screen. It was so disgusting, I had to look away. :?

ditch_azeroth
05-26-2006, 06:41 AM

:rotfl: Oh, that's a great story.

So, you're saying that you want to see more phones with hump styled antennas? The trend has been to pull the antenna back into the phone and thus allow for greater stylings on the devices. But you would rather see more external antennas. :?

LOL - now i get why jerry loves humps (related to another thread here... )

going back on track, i've got no problems with software - we can always do something about it. as for the dust getting under the screen, that only happens when you start opening or damaging your phone. in other words, DO NOT OPEN YOUR PHONE. take care of it like you would your mistress... err... wife... err... whatever ^_^

what i really wanted for my sp5m were these:

- a free black silicone case from imate (like what they have at boxwave)
- a video out interface
- hot swappable SDIO interface (instead of just the miniSD - wait a sec, this is also a software related issue... oh well ^_^ )
- 3.5mm jack instead of 2.5mm (so that i could plugin my sennheisers ^_^), i can deal with not ever having a "handsfree" mic any day over this
- 802.11g WiFi (not just b)
- stereo loudspeakers (OT: have you guys tried using a motorola e398? they got this bass/vibrate thing going on... crazy cool... would be cool to if they could put it in somewhere... naahh ^_^)
- a 2000+ mAh battery, or more (if they can have it)
- a faster processor(like 312mhz or so, or maybe use xscale processors...)
- bigger memory (like 128MB RAM/ROM)

and oh, what the heck, let's go crazy: a screen made out of sapphire ^_^