View Full Version : ActiveSync 4.2 Beta Preview

Jerry Raia
04-28-2006, 04:15 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/downloads/activesync42.mspx' target='_blank'>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/downloads/activesync42.mspx</a><br /><br /></div><i>"ActiveSync 4.2 Beta Preview is an early look at the latest sync software release for Windows Mobile devices. Microsoft ActiveSync provides a great synchronization experience with Windows powered PCs and Microsoft Outlook right out of the box. ActiveSync acts as the gateway between your Windows powered PC and Windows Mobile powered device, enabling the transfer of Outlook information, Office documents, pictures, music, videos and applications from your desktop to your device. In addition to synchronizing with a desktop PC, ActiveSync can synchronize directly with Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 so that you can keep your e-mail, Calendar, Notes, and Contacts updated wirelessly when you’re away from your PC."</i><br /><br />Another update, and a beta no less, to the incredible ActiveSync. There seems to be no information, as with previous updates, as to what has changed or been fixed. Just install and enjoy the act of discovery! Any takers?

Mark Larson
04-28-2006, 06:04 AM
I just can't wait to see what features they're going to get rid of this time. Will it be the ability to Bluetooth sync? Will they make it impossible to sync two devices on the same computer without completely wiping the hard drive and frying everything connected via USB?

I just can't wait to find out how badly they'll mess things up this time!

**Edited for language - MT

Mike Temporale
04-28-2006, 12:39 PM
The beta should address issues with Outlook sync and desktop pass through. From what I can tell, that's the major parts of this update.

chrismarts
04-28-2006, 01:14 PM
All I want...is for it to stay in the system tray at *all times no matter what.* Don't pop up when I log in. Don't pop up in other user accounts on the same computer that don't use it.

And while you're at it, how about making it actually open/respond to user input in less than 3 seconds? I get that it's busy doing something, but it could at least show itself and tell me that!

Brandonjg
04-28-2006, 05:03 PM
I went ahead an installed the beta in hopes it would resolve my major issue with 4.x. Thats the one where you can't connect through USB while the Microsoft ISA Server Firewall Client is enabled. Sadly though, 4.2 doesnt improve this situation at all :(

I would be more understanding if there were compatibility issues with other 3rd party firewalls but we are talking about their own damn product here. :evil:

xultar
04-28-2006, 06:12 PM
All I want...is for it to stay in the system tray at *all times no matter what.* Don't pop up when I log in. Don't pop up in other user accounts on the same computer that don't use it.

And while you're at it, how about making it actually open/respond to user input in less than 3 seconds? I get that it's busy doing something, but it could at least show itself and tell me that!

Can't you just clear the open MS @ conect checkbox?

chrismarts
04-30-2006, 03:30 AM
Can't you just clear the open MS @ conect checkbox?

Cleared. Still pops up.

My point is that it's always just been a little squirrely - when double-click opened from the taskbar, sometimes the window opens under other windows, sometimes the connection methods clear themselves, it opens itself up when I log in sometimes, etc...

I was hoping the 4.0 release would address some of that stuff but alas...

Kris Kumar
04-30-2006, 02:44 PM
So is anyone using the 4.2? How does it work? Is it stable?

Jerry Raia
04-30-2006, 03:42 PM
I have it installed now, seems stable. I haven't noticed any difference yet.

Mike Temporale
05-01-2006, 01:40 AM

My understanding is there is no visual difference. All the changes are under the hood.

Jerry Raia
05-01-2006, 02:37 AM

My understanding is there is no visual difference. All the changes are under the hood.

They must be Double Secret changes. A list of what was changed would be nice I think.

Mike Temporale
05-01-2006, 02:57 AM
A list of what was changed would be nice I think.

http://blogs.msdn.com/jasonlan/archive/2006/04/28/585488.aspx

;)

Jerry Raia
05-01-2006, 04:05 AM
Now he tells me! :evil:

Moleman
05-01-2006, 02:10 PM
I went ahead an installed the beta in hopes it would resolve my major issue with 4.x. Thats the one where you can't connect through USB while the Microsoft ISA Server Firewall Client is enabled. Sadly though, 4.2 doesnt improve this situation at all :(

I would be more understanding if there were compatibility issues with other 3rd party firewalls but we are talking about their own damn product here. :evil:

You might wnat to look at this:
http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/faqs/activesync/tshoot-as4x.htm

If you are using Microsoft's ISA Firewall Client, you need to create a file called c:\program files\microsoft activesync\wspcfg.ini with the following in the text file or download and execute create_wspcfg_activesync.bat:
[rnaapp]
disable=1

Also, the network administrator may have to setup the ISA server's Local Address Table (LAT) to allow 169.254.2.1 and 169.254.2.2 (for Windows Mobile 5.0 devices) and 192.168.55.100 and 192.168.55.101 (for Windows Mobile 2003, 2003 SE and prior devices).

I haven't touched an ISA box in a while, but I do remember that I have to allow ActiveSync in the protocol rules, and it was just a check box. If the troulbe you are hving is only with USB devices then you need to talk to your admin about GPO settings. ISA firewall doesn't know anything about USB, just the port and transmission types to coming and going from you to the network. The GPO settings control USB and other drive usage and can be passed to clients with out thier knowleddge.

echosmyron
05-01-2006, 04:55 PM
Is there any improvement in the transfer speed? Or is that limited by USB hardware?

I tried d/l'ing a 200MB+ file to the storage card on my phone and it took a very long time. (Actually I aborted the process before it finished). I guess I need to get a MiniSD card reader.

Mike Temporale
05-01-2006, 05:38 PM
Is there any improvement in the transfer speed? Or is that limited by USB hardware?

I don't know of any phones that have USB 2.0 support. So far they've all been 1.1 :(

But to answer your question, USB2.0 support was added in version 4.0/1 when they did that large re-write. So it's possible, but we need the phones to support it first.

Brandonjg
05-02-2006, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the tip Moleman. I know I looked at that pocketpcfaq page before. Either I missed that part about the LAT addresses or its a new addition.

After reading your suggestion, I first tried just the wspcfg.ini file and that didnt improve it. But once I added the 169.254.2.1 &amp; 169.254.2.2 addresses to the locallat file, it worked! So thanks again for the suggestion. And FYI, the issue isnt present in when you connect through Bluetooth becuase the Bluetooth connection is treated as a serial port which apparently doesnt use the same network interface method to connect as when you connect directly through USB.

You might wnat to look at this:
http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/faqs/activesync/tshoot-as4x.htm

If you are using Microsoft's ISA Firewall Client, you need to create a file called c:\program files\microsoft activesync\wspcfg.ini with the following in the text file or download and execute create_wspcfg_activesync.bat:
[rnaapp]
disable=1

Also, the network administrator may have to setup the ISA server's Local Address Table (LAT) to allow 169.254.2.1 and 169.254.2.2 (for Windows Mobile 5.0 devices) and 192.168.55.100 and 192.168.55.101 (for Windows Mobile 2003, 2003 SE and prior devices).

I haven't touched an ISA box in a while, but I do remember that I have to allow ActiveSync in the protocol rules, and it was just a check box. If the troulbe you are hving is only with USB devices then you need to talk to your admin about GPO settings. ISA firewall doesn't know anything about USB, just the port and transmission types to coming and going from you to the network. The GPO settings control USB and other drive usage and can be passed to clients with out thier knowleddge.