View Full Version : Troubleshooting Direct Push

Mike Temporale
04-24-2006, 06:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://blogs.technet.com/exchange/archive/2006/04/03/424028.aspx' target='_blank'>http://blogs.technet.com/exchange/archive/2006/04/03/424028.aspx</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Direct Push is a client initiated HTTP connection to the server where the device opens a connection to the Exchange Server and keeps it alive for a duration known as the heartbeat interval. Basically the client sets up the connection, chooses the appropriate heartbeat interval and tears down and reestablishes the connection if and when necessary. The server sends notifications about new items over this connection and the client synchronizes to get the new items. A new AirSync command called PING has been introduced for Direct Push. This command is sent as part of the POST request from the device."</i><br /><br />Vanitha Prabhakaran has written a really good article on troubleshooting Microsoft's Direct Push mobile email solution. She's even included a number or frequently asked questions. If you're having problems getting this setup, or if you're just interested in reading up and understanding more about how Direct Push works, then this article is for you. :D

mbranscum
04-24-2006, 11:45 PM
Great article...I have direct push set up on both my 2125 and 8125 and it works flawlessly! Interestingly enough, I have heard some say what a heavy drain on the battery it is for the phone. I think these people have direct pust mixed up with TIMED PULL mail.

I can't really tell any difference on my battery drain with push turned on all the time. 8)

Mike Temporale
04-25-2006, 01:10 AM
I haven't noticed a difference in my battery either. I think a large part of the battery issue is related to an incorrect timeout for IIS. If the Time to live is too short, then your phone has to keep waking up re-initialize the cycle.

looknow12
05-14-2006, 03:41 PM
Great article...I have direct push set up on both my 2125 and 8125 and it works flawlessly! Interestingly enough, I have heard some say what a heavy drain on the battery it is for the phone. I think these people have direct pust mixed up with TIMED PULL mail.

What's the process for setting up these two phones. From anything I read it's pretty much automatic, set your schedule to When Items Arrive. But I did see a connection manager (on the internet) that said Direct Push on it and my devices have no such language on the screens.

I couldn't find the exact procedure, please help.

Rocco Augusto
05-14-2006, 05:31 PM
i just think all this pushing and pulling sounds rude. whatever happened to just saying please?

post 513 ;)

looknow12
05-16-2006, 07:04 AM

What's the process for setting up these two phones. From anything I read it's pretty much automatic, set your schedule to When Items Arrive. But I did see a connection manager (on the internet) that said Direct Push on it and my devices have no such language on the screens.

I couldn't find the exact procedure, please help.

mbranscum was there any specific procedure you used to setting up the 8125? Are you sure you don't just have Update to Date Notifications via SMTP and Text Messaging?

looknow12
05-16-2006, 08:09 AM
According to this article... http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Exchange-2003-Service-Pack2-BETA.html

It won't be possible to use "Direct Push" on devices that don't yet have Messaging &amp; Security Feature Pack installed. The 8125 and 2125 do not have this update yet.

quote from web site
Note:
Not all the mobility features which are to be included in the final version of Exchange 2003 SP2 is included in build 7623.0, as they’re pending for availability of Windows Mobile 5.0 devices that have the Messaging &amp; Security Feature Pack installed. Also features such as an administration tool for the remote wipe feature will be released as a separate web release, as has previously been the case the Intelligent Message Filter (IMF), OWA Admin, and Exchange Best Practices Analyzer (ExBPA) etc.

I think you are using the notification via SMTP or text message feature.

I emailed HTC regarding this update and this is what they said...

We work closely with the carrier, as a liaison between the carrier and Microsoft. Our devices are being tested very carefully, by the carriers, and they decide when the update is ready to launch. We have to make sure that it is stable before it hits the market, and since the US wireless market is run differently than the rest of the world, we have a bit of a delay.

mbranscum
05-16-2006, 04:07 PM
According to this article... http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Exchange-2003-Service-Pack2-BETA.html

It won't be possible to use "Direct Push" on devices that don't yet have Messaging &amp; Security Feature Pack installed. The 8125 and 2125 do not have this update yet.

quote from web site
Note:
Not all the mobility features which are to be included in the final version of Exchange 2003 SP2 is included in build 7623.0, as they’re pending for availability of Windows Mobile 5.0 devices that have the Messaging &amp; Security Feature Pack installed. Also features such as an administration tool for the remote wipe feature will be released as a separate web release, as has previously been the case the Intelligent Message Filter (IMF), OWA Admin, and Exchange Best Practices Analyzer (ExBPA) etc.

I think you are using the notification via SMTP or text message feature.

I emailed HTC regarding this update and this is what they said...

We work closely with the carrier, as a liaison between the carrier and Microsoft. Our devices are being tested very carefully, by the carriers, and they decide when the update is ready to launch. We have to make sure that it is stable before it hits the market, and since the US wireless market is run differently than the rest of the world, we have a bit of a delay.

People with pushmail on their 8125's and 2125's are not running a Cingular rom because, as you most correctly stated, it's not been released yet. However, the imate ROM on my 2125 and the customized ROM on my 8125 are very stable and have full pushmail capabilities. I do not believe the moderator's on this board approve of discussions of non-approved ROMS. You will have to do a search on the internet to get this info.

Mike Temporale
05-16-2006, 04:46 PM
I do not believe the moderator's on this board approve of discussions of non-approved ROMS. You will have to do a search on the internet to get this info.

You can talk about them all you want. I love to hear stories of unstable ROMs breaking phones. ;) We just don't allow linking to or sharing of copyrighted material - ROMs, MP3s, or whatever it may be. :)

mbranscum
05-16-2006, 06:20 PM
I do not believe the moderator's on this board approve of discussions of non-approved ROMS. You will have to do a search on the internet to get this info.

You can talk about them all you want. I love to hear stories of unstable ROMs breaking phones. ;) We just don't allow linking to or sharing of copyrighted material - ROMs, MP3s, or whatever it may be. :)

Ok...cool, I just didn't want to break forum rules. ;)

With that in mind, I'll have to say I've had zero issues with the imate ROM on my 2125. I did have to do the mod to replace the G with the E. The pushmail syncing with exchange has been flawless! Radio on the phone seems just as good as before. The good folks at xda-developers had merged a cingular cab settings file with the 8125 modded ROM that even restores all the settings back to Cingular after ROM installation. No issues with that device either.

Here is what's cool with exchange sync. One week I carry my 2125. The next week I decide to carry my 8125. With OTA syncing, the calendar, email and contacts are synced almost immediately! No running to the computer to get a device up to date!

I believe the Cingular ROM is about to be released. I'm now seeing screen shots of it posted in a couple of places on the net! :)

looknow12
05-17-2006, 04:16 PM
I tried numerous ones and finally got lucky with Cingular_RUU_2080701_101_11310_WWE.exe. It seems to work well, and I'm extremely happy (so far) with Direct Push. Time will tell as to the battery drain.

I do in fact get the E instead of the G

Mike Temporale
05-17-2006, 04:45 PM
I tried numerous ones and finally got lucky with Cingular_RUU_2080701_101_11310_WWE.exe. It seems to work well, and I'm extremely happy (so far) with Direct Push. Time will tell as to the battery drain.

Cingular has not released AKU 2 yet. And the ROM update that is posted does not have a filename similiar to what you quoted. Either you mean to say you're using the i-mate ROM or you've applied a pirated ROM to your phone - perhaps without knowing it. :wink:

looknow12
05-17-2006, 04:47 PM

Cingular has not released AKU 2 yet. And the ROM update that is posted does not have a filename similiar to what you quoted. Either you mean to say you're using the i-mate ROM or you've applied a pirated ROM to your phone - perhaps without knowing it. :wink:

I believe the latter applies