View Full Version : Mobile Browsing Becoming Mainstream

Jerry Raia
04-19-2006, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.com/Mobile+browsing+becoming+mainstream/2100-1039_3-6062365.html?tag=fd_nbs_ent&tag=nl.e433' target='_blank'>http://news.com.com/Mobile+browsing+becoming+mainstream/2100-1039_3-6062365.html?tag=fd_nbs_ent&tag=nl.e433</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Ipsos Insight's 2005 "The Face of the Web" study shows significant increases in: ownership of mobile phones, mobile surfing by mainstream users, and adoption of wireless mobile technology by adults aged 35 and older. 90 percent of households in Japan, South Korea and urban China own cell phones, as do 80 percent of households in Western Europe, 60 percent in Canada and three out of four households in the U.S. In 2005, 28 percent of those mobile phone owners used their phone to browse the Internet, up from 25 percent the year before. More significantly, the increase is driven by adults aged 35 and older joining younger users in this habit."</i><br /><br />So us old folks are leading the trend? I like that! The article goes on to say the US and France lead the way in this area. No surprise about France as they do seem to have a large amount of mobile tech sites. I am surprised that France is ahead of Japan though where they seem to be way ahead of all of us in the amount of new gadgets they get that we never see here in the states. Interesting read.

ScottBeard
04-21-2006, 10:47 PM
Now I know that this story is from Wed so it's ancient, but two things leapt out at me, firstly, why are all the regional usage figures given as percentages except for the US? (Actually, I can think of some reasons!)

And secondly...
So us old folks are leading the trend?
...surely the article says that the old codgers are "joining younger users in this habit", so the trend has already been set by the whipper-snappers?

Rocco Augusto
04-22-2006, 12:10 AM
Source: Edgar

im gonna start calling Edgar, "The Source" ;) :lol: