View Full Version : New York Times: In Silicon Valley, a Man Without a Patent

Jason Dunn
04-17-2006, 09:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/16/technology/16wireless.html?ex=1302840000&en=34c221bbd80ca72d&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss' target='_blank'>http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/16/technology/16wireless.html?ex=1302840000&en=34c221bbd80ca72d&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Geoff Goodfellow is a Silicon Valley entrepreneur who came up with an idea that resulted in a $612.5 million payday. But he will never see a penny of it. He remains little known even in Silicon Valley and, perhaps most surprising, he doesn't really mind. And herein lies one of the stranger tales about innovation and money in the world of technology. A high-school dropout, Mr. Goodfellow had his light-bulb moment in 1982, when he came up with the idea of sending electronic mail messages wirelessly to a portable device — like a BlackBerry. Only back then, there was no BlackBerry; his vision centered on pagers. He eventually did get financial backing to start a wireless e-mail service in the early 1990's, but it failed. So, in 1998, he moved to Prague and bought a bar. While he was there, the BlackBerry did come along. Tending bar, he believed that everyone had forgotten that he had initially come up with the idea of wireless e-mail."</i><br /><br />An interesting article on the whole RIM/NTP wireless email fiasco that was recently resolved. This article throws some added light on the idea of wireless email and the man who first tried to make it a reality.

Kris Kumar
04-18-2006, 01:02 AM
Sad! :(

The other annoying thing about these lawsuits, the attorneys make a lot of money. I was reading a Business Week article in which the break up of the settlement was given: Out of $60 million settlement; roughly $32 million went to the shareholders, approx $4 million went to the CEO and patent holder, and $20 or so went to the attorneys.

Mike Temporale
04-18-2006, 01:48 AM
The other annoying thing about these lawsuits, the attorneys make a lot of money. I was reading a Business Week article in which the break up of the settlement was given: Out of $60 million settlement; roughly $32 million went to the shareholders, approx $4 million went to the CEO and patent holder, and $20 or so went to the attorneys.

Interesting. Someone recently attempted to sue me. While talking with our lawyer, he mentioned the cost of going to trial was roughly $100,000 (CDN) for 2-3 days in court. As much as I hate the legal system, I have a couple friends in the business and they work crazy hours and have to put up with some really goofs. In the end, I think they get paid about right.

Rocco Augusto
04-18-2006, 02:20 AM
Someone recently attempted to sue me.

was it motorola? we do do a lot of moto bashing :twisted:

Jerry Raia
04-18-2006, 06:00 PM
he moved to Prague and bought a bar

Best move he ever could have made. :lol: