View Full Version : Sync Windows Media Player to 5600

Terry Pickett
04-12-2006, 05:03 PM
I have tried serveral times to sync my music from Windows Media Player to my 5600. It says it is syncing and and gives me a message that it failed. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mike Temporale
04-12-2006, 07:24 PM
It's been a while, but if memory serves me (and it usually doesn't) the problem was a related to the Wync process only being able to place files on the phone's memory and not the storage card. How much space do you have free in the actual memory of the device?

In WinMo5, this is corrected.

jacklf
04-12-2006, 08:02 PM
I have a podcast and favorites playlist set to sync WMP to my 5600 (the music/podcasts gets synced to the 1GB storage card). Since I have WMP monitoring a folder where the podcasts get downloaded to, it handily syncs anytime I'm plugged in and WMP is open.

I do recall it failing when I first configured it trying to use some of the default windows playlists (and some sample playlists I downloaded from microsoft's website when they were doing that whole video-push trial thing). However, when I created custom playlists everything worked fine for some reason.

What are you syncing to? Built in memory or a miniSD card? Have you tried a smaller playlist to see if, perhaps, sync'ing a single song works okay?

Terry Pickett
04-12-2006, 09:44 PM
I have a podcast and favorites playlist set to sync WMP to my 5600 (the music/podcasts gets synced to the 1GB storage card). Since I have WMP monitoring a folder where the podcasts get downloaded to, it handily syncs anytime I'm plugged in and WMP is open.

I do recall it failing when I first configured it trying to use some of the default windows playlists (and some sample playlists I downloaded from microsoft's website when they were doing that whole video-push trial thing). However, when I created custom playlists everything worked fine for some reason.

What are you syncing to? Built in memory or a miniSD card? Have you tried a smaller playlist to see if, perhaps, sync'ing a single song works okay?

I am syncing to miniSD card. At least, it is trying to transfer, when I had the Cingular 8125, it wouldn't even do that

Terry Pickett
04-13-2006, 04:22 PM

I tried syncing a single tune to the storage card and it failed. Activesync doesn't show a music icon for the sync items, but if I go to the Windows Media Player, I can get it to try to sync, says it is trying, then gives me a failed message.

jacklf
04-13-2006, 07:53 PM
Yeah, I wasn't aware that ActiveSync has any options for that.. I've just been using the built in sync tool in WMP10.

I'll check my settings when i get home tonight and try to post anything that might be relevant for you to compare. Is the error you are getting pretty generic, or does it give any info at all? I've done both, so I know it shouldn't matter, but are you attempting a manual sync of a playlist or automatic sync?

Terry Pickett
04-13-2006, 08:18 PM
Well, I finally found the one song on the memory card. I went to the Windows Media player. It found the song, but gave me an error code when I tried to play the song. I really didn't think transferring music would be this hard. Can't imagine trying to do a DVD transfer <smile>
I guess this will be my project to figure out.

jacklf
04-14-2006, 05:32 PM
Could the encoding format be something the mobile version of Media player doesn't like (and perhaps WMP can't convert to a happy format?) Most of my music is <=128k MP3s or WMAs.. I haven't tried too many other options.

I checked my settings.. it's pretty straight-forward defaults though, so I can't think of anything that might be hiding in that aspect. I just have Sync Settings set to to automatic sync, with my Podcast playlist checked under the list of playlists to sync. No options for where it puts it, so everything ends up under "Music" and "Playlists" on my storage card.