View Full Version : Battle for Mobile OS Domination is Over?

Jerry Raia
04-10-2006, 11:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.cellular-news.com/story/16834.php' target='_blank'>http://www.cellular-news.com/story/16834.php</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Many people believe that the future battle on the mobile market will be between the mobile operating systems. Especially Microsoft and Symbian are competing to become the future operating system (OS) on the mobile market, but also PalmSource, Linux based OSs and Java based OSs are trying to win market shares. One of the reasons why the competition is so fierce on the OS market is that many in the business have a naive belief that the winner will take it all and the loser will get nothing - just as has happened in the PC world."</i><br /><br />I don't know if I buy this but it is interesting and some valid points are made. I still think integration with the enterprise will drive this more than just UI's. Your thoughts?

xultar
04-11-2006, 02:15 AM
This won't be a winner takes all type of fight.

Handsets and devices don't cost as much nor do the applications and accessories. The turnover rate for a handset is much quicker than for a PC.

So, I think it will be the coolest devices that win and well the OS will benefit but the winners will change each time new handsets and devices are released.

Mike Temporale
04-11-2006, 02:24 AM
I don't know if I buy this but it is interesting and some valid points are made. I still think integration with the enterprise will drive this more than just UI's. Your thoughts?

I would agree. UIs with APIs allow the enterprise to easily embrace and extend the device to suit their needs. Luckly, WinMo and Microsoft is good at APIs. ;)

LHBALESJR
04-11-2006, 04:16 AM
There will always be those who prefer simplicity over power and visa versa, so I would expect that there will continue to be operating systems to serve both types of users.

Kris Kumar
04-11-2006, 04:20 AM
This is what I think - the OS that provides the best personalization features not only at the customer lever but also the carrier or vendor level will win.

toaddodger
04-11-2006, 05:42 AM
Applications will move to the web and the O/S won't matter. This is on the PC and mobile front. With the exception of very specialized niche applications that require large resources to run, like CAD, all you'll need is a browser and bandwidth.

So.... which browser will win? ;)