View Full Version : Fizz Traveler-is it just me?

Sven Johannsen
04-09-2006, 07:03 PM
This thing is annoying to the point of it coming off the phone altogether. I got it because of Juni's great home pages, but I'll make the effort to modify them to get it off.

Here's the issue. I complained before that every time I looked at the phone, it was sitting in Fizz Traveler. It was suggested that i had the updates too frequent. OK, I changed that, and it helped...a bit. Don't see why the app needs to come to the foreground and stay there just to get data off the internet, but apparently it needs to and apparently it is getting updates...I guess.

I'm sitting here looking at the home screen and Fizz has weather icons for the 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th and 11th up. It's the 9th today. Why do I care what they thought the weather was going to be like two daya ago. When I select more detail on the home screen it shows me the 0-24 hour details ... for last Wed. and the 24-48 hour display is for Thurs. It's Sunday for pete's sake. If it is going to freakin irritate my be grabbing the focus everytime it updates. the least it could do is update.

Is it just me? Am I missing some obvious setting that will actually have it display Today's data. I would think that would be the default.

BTW, I can make it display todays info if I go and manually have it go get data. If I somehow have set it for manual retrieval inadvertantly, my bad, but then it darned sure shouldn't be foisting itself into the forefront evertime it gets a chance.

dh
04-09-2006, 09:10 PM
No, it's not just you. I've had all kinds of issues with Fizz Traveller - indeed I still am.

The other day, my phone froze and I had to soft reset. On starting up, my homescreen stopped loading when it got to the Fizz Traveller part (I use Juni's Chromium Facade Skin). I rebooted several times, all with the same result.

I wasn't quite sure what to do then and was fearing a hard reset was needed. I was however able to use Right Menu (thinak goodness that was installed) to get into the settings. One very odd thing that had happened was that my sorage card had been renamed Storage Card2 so non of my applications could be found.

I was able to remove Fizz Traveller and the storage card went back to it's proper name. I then removed the Fizz Traveller part form my homescreen file and made Facade bigger to fill in the space.

The odd thing is, I have removed Fizz Traveller as much as I could and it still starts up, runs and updates the weather. I need to track down where it is located and get rid of it completly.

dh

Sven Johannsen
04-10-2006, 01:41 AM
The odd thing is, I have removed Fizz Traveller as much as I could and it still starts up, runs and updates the weather. I need to track down where it is located and get rid of it completly.

If I have that issue, I'm going to take it as a sign I should do the ROM update :wink: Haven't had a reason to yet.

Mike Temporale
04-10-2006, 04:47 AM
When mine updates, it drops off the old days. In fact, I have it set to update at 3:30am/pm. When the afternoon update runs, it drops off today and shows me tomorrow onward.

I haven't had any of the issues you guys are talking about - except the fact that it must take focus when it updates. Personaly, I don't mind that since it only happens tiwce a day - when I wake up, and as I'm getting ready to pack it in for the day. Perhaps some of the problems are related to the Home Screen plugin? Maybe you should try using a basic homescreen for a couple days.

Disclaimer - I don't use the homescreen plugin.

Sven Johannsen
04-10-2006, 05:22 AM
Mine is set to update every 12 hours. Even the main app doesn't have today and 5 days in the future displayed, unless I force a download manually. If having the home screen plugin could be causing a problem then it definately come off. That plugin is the only reason I have the program. The main app does little for me that I can't get better info by just going online, and I don't really like the interface in the first place. Darn you Juni, you had to make a skin that looks so cool with that plugin.

Islanti
04-10-2006, 04:40 PM
I'm sitting here looking at the home screen and Fizz has weather icons for the 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th and 11th up. It's the 9th today. [...] Is it just me? Am I missing some obvious setting that will actually have it display Today's data. I would think that would be the default.

BTW, I can make it display todays info if I go and manually have it go get data.It sounds to me like you have two copies installed. See below.

The other day, my phone froze and I had to soft reset. On starting up, my homescreen stopped loading when it got to the Fizz Traveller part (I use Juni's Chromium Facade Skin). I rebooted several times, all with the same result.

I wasn't quite sure what to do then and was fearing a hard reset was needed. I was however able to use Right Menu (thinak goodness that was installed) to get into the settings. One very odd thing that had happened was that my sorage card had been renamed Storage Card2 so non of my applications could be found.

I was able to remove Fizz Traveller and the storage card went back to it's proper name. I then removed the Fizz Traveller part form my homescreen file and made Facade bigger to fill in the space.The Storage Card rename thing is a general Windows Mobile issue. When the battery gets low, the OS shuts down external storage. If a program tries to write data to "\Storage Card\", then the OS creates that folder (since it doesn't exist anymore). When you charge the battery, the Storage Card can't be mounted to the default "\Storage Card\" path, since it already exists. It gets mounted to "\Storage Card2\" instead.

When you uninstalled it, that deleted the \Storage Card\ folders, allowing the OS to mount your card to the default path, fixing the issue. That's not Fizz Traveller's fault, though.

The odd thing is, I have removed Fizz Traveller as much as I could and it still starts up, runs and updates the weather. I need to track down where it is located and get rid of it completly.What it sounds like is happening with this and the failure to update the home screen is that you've installed Fizz Traveller twice. This happened to me. First I installed to "\Storage Card\" as usual. Then I realized Juni's screens (and indeed FizzTraveller 2.2 homescreen plug-in) won't work with it installed to \Storage Card\. The data doesn't get removed when re-installing to Main Memory, leaving two copies of the information lying around.

If you want to fix this, there are a few simple steps (note these are for WM5, I don't know about older WM OS versions): Set your homescreen to something that doesn't use FizzTraveller. Reboot the phone. Go to Settings > Remove Programs and remove FizzTraveller. Manually Delete \Program Files\Fizz Traveller 2\ and \Storage Card\Program Files\Fizz Traveller 2\. Reboot the phone. Re-install Fizz Traveller to Main Memory.Another possibility is to wait for the next version to be released. I'm testing the beta of FizzTraveller 2.3 (sorry, invitation only beta). I can tell you that they have fixed the main memory installation requirement for the home screen plug-in and the "pop up on update" issue. The program is much more "transparent" feeling now. It also doesn't suck up ~2.5MB of my main memory, so I'm much happier with the program.

dh
04-11-2006, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the comments. I don't remember my battery being low - I was plugged into the charger one time it happened - but I suspect you are right.

I'm just going to wait for the next version. I actually like my homescreen more now I've got more room for Facade so I'm not concerned about not having the Fizz plugin.

Like Sven, the plugin was the only reason I wanted Fizz Traveller. I don't like the rest of the app at all, the navigation is terrible.

So now, I have Juni's Chromium Facade background, removed Fizz Traveller, removed the Smart Monitor (did nothing for me), removed the stock launcher bar, expanded Facade to 150 pixels and it's working just great.

david

Islanti
04-11-2006, 04:27 PM
Like Sven, the plugin was the only reason I wanted Fizz Traveller. I don't like the rest of the app at all, the navigation is terrible.I hate the navigation in 2.2 as well. They've tweaked it in v2.3, although the default is still the old not-so-good way.

When v2.3 hits, give it another chance. I had a lot of the same issues you did. I've been much happier with the new version.

pavankp
05-14-2006, 02:49 AM
When v2.3 hits, give it another chance. I had a lot of the same issues you did. I've been much happier with the new version.

I just installed Fizz Traveller 2.3, and the home screen plug-in won't work any more.

I had v2.2 working fine. I followed the readme.txt instruction to uninstall v2.2 before installing the new version. I can see travellerplug.dll in my \Application Data\Home folder. But the Fizz Traveller plugin doesn't show on the home screen. It doesn't work from within my home screen, nor does it work from the "Fizz Traveller QVGA" home screen either.

Do you know how to fix this?

Pavan

Fizz
05-15-2006, 11:58 AM

Fizz
05-15-2006, 12:03 PM

Fizz
05-15-2006, 12:08 PM

Fizz
05-15-2006, 04:56 PM
Hi all, sorry it has taken so long for us to post a reply to this, but hopefully we have good news for you all.

Firstly Sven, I think that 2.3 will solve a lot of your problems. 2.3 now has background updating, this means that when a weather update occurs, the program does not launch, the updating is done in the background. In addition to this, we have given you much greater control over your downloads, you can tell your device to only update when you are docked to your PC, or to always dock when you connect. You can also specify exactly which reports you want downloaded. Your issue with regard to the incorrect days being shown is something different. When you perform an update, the forecast is set from the day you requested the data. The current day is highlighted if you can't update regularly, but we do advise updating your forecast daily if you can. If you can think of a better way of showing the data, then let us know, we are always open to suggestions. I hope that the new verison will make you happy and that you will continue to be part of our community.

dh - I am very sorry that you have been having problems, I am not sure whether you are still having issues, but I would like to help you resolve any that you have. Can you email [email protected] so we can start a discussion ? Alternatively, reply here and we can try to work something out.

Islanti - thank you for your comments and help, the new navigation in 2.3 is now the default :)

Pavan - I would advise you do as Islanti recommends above :-

Set your homescreen to something that doesn't use FizzTraveller.
Reboot the phone.
Go to Settings > Remove Programs and remove FizzTraveller.
Manually Delete \Program Files\Fizz Traveller 2\ and \Storage Card\Program Files\Fizz Traveller 2\.
Reboot the phone.
Re-install Fizz Traveller to Main Memory.

I hope this helps, if you are still having problems, then let me know.

Finally, if any of you have any concerns or comments, please do not hesitate to email us. We really do pride ourselves on our customer service and like to think that (most of) the thousands of Fizz customers out there are happy ones :) We also like to think that those who aren't happy will be after they have spoken to us :):)

Regards,

Nicky
Fizz Software Ltd.