View Full Version : HTC Star-Trek Photo Shoots on the Web

Kris Kumar
04-09-2006, 04:05 PM
HTC Star-Trek, HTC Star100, Qtek 8500 and i-mate SmartFlip are all the names for the first clam shell Smartphone from our favorite manufacturer, HTC. I will not gloat about the looks and let the photographs do the talking. :)

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/images/Kris-apr06-htcstartrek.jpg

HTC StarTrek Photo Shoot by Mobility Today: (http://mobilitytoday.com/articles/htc_star_trek_impressions.html) This one features the original design where the keypad had circles.

HTC StarTrek Photo Shoot by Lutzh: (http://msmobiles.com/news.php/5105.html) This photo shoot over at msmobiles.com shows the Smartphone with Qtek 8500 branding and from what Lutzh has to say about the Smartphone, it seems like HTC has done a fantastic job. I have said it before and will say it again, the external screen on this flip phone is impressive. :drool:

Kris Kumar
04-09-2006, 06:27 PM
I was so busy drooling that I forgot about the new connector, meaning we will have to buy a new set of power adapter, earphones etc. :evil:

And the other thing that annoys me is the micro-SD. :twak:

hylton
04-09-2006, 08:46 PM
well, the only thing that REALLY annoys me about this phone is that i don't have one yet.

i'll live w/ the requirement to switch to microsd, proprietary USB and headphone connection, no wifi...

it's a price i'm willing to pay to look cooler than i normally do.

wm5, razr-ish flip...yea, me want one...

chris

OSUKid7
04-09-2006, 09:51 PM
Awesome phone. I want one now. :drool:

Regarding the proprietary USB connection, couldn't "someone" make a tiny adapter that converts it to normal mini-USB? Granted you'd have to either buy several of these or carry it around with you, but at least that would let you keep using your old accessories. Are there any technical limitations to that?

Kris Kumar
04-09-2006, 09:57 PM
Regarding the proprietary USB connection, couldn't "someone" make a tiny adapter that converts it to normal mini-USB?

I hope that it is possible. Good idea.

david_ciccone
04-09-2006, 11:58 PM
Kris

Thanks for linking to my story. I am really enjoying this phone. The battery life has been fantastic. The only drawback is that their is no memory slot for mini sd, sd etc...

Jon Westfall
04-10-2006, 01:08 AM
Well, this was what I wanted this summer, but now I'm reconsidering.

I use a smartphone for times when carying a PPC/PE is just undesirable or dangerous. Amusement parks don't bode well with touch screens, etc... But with its lack of mini-SD (Or SD), it's lack of WiFi, it's lack of mini-USB, it's inclusion of proprietary nonsense, and the rumor I heard that there may be production delays due to a small over-heating problem makes me think I might want to reconsider.

Cool looks are nice, but in the end, functionality wins for me.

Jon.

Rocco Augusto
04-10-2006, 02:23 AM
i was really excitied for this phone, i mean REALLY excited.... but i really dont think i want to shell out the money to buy ANOTHER 1gb card. thats just silly.

somewhere on the grapevine i read that there would be two versions of this phone, hopefully the other has minisd, i really dont mind the usb thing, a cable is a cable and i just carry around the one that came with it but my 1gb card was expensive and i dont feel it has fully paid for itself yet :)

Kris Kumar
04-10-2006, 02:25 AM
Cool looks are nice, but in the end, functionality wins for me.

Same here.

Kris Kumar
04-10-2006, 02:28 AM
i really dont mind the usb thing, a cable is a cable and i just carry around the one that came with it but my 1gb card was expensive and i dont feel it has fully paid for itself yet :)

Same here.

BTW. Is there an adapter to convert microSD to miniSD or SD. That is one thing I liked about miniSD.

MitchellO
04-10-2006, 02:35 AM
I am so tempted by this. Since getting the Axim I rarely use the WiFi on my SP5 anymore. I never use it for music because I have my iPod. I love the design of this phone :D

Pop a 256/512Mb card in there and I'd be happy :D

bradkap
04-10-2006, 02:59 AM
Can anyone venture to guess who might carry this phone in the US and when we might see it ????

Mike Temporale
04-10-2006, 04:50 AM
Can anyone venture to guess who might carry this phone in the US and when we might see it ????

Mid 2006 is all I have heard. I don't know if that means just i-mate or a rebranded version by a carrier.

Mike Temporale
04-10-2006, 04:52 AM
I'm really interested in this device, but the 2 big issues for me is the lack of WiFi and the MicroSD. I think I can live without WiFi, but I'm not sure. However, the MicroSD is just annoying. It took manufacturers long enough to get the large size MiniSD cards out at a reasonable price. I'm not really prepaired to through it all away again. I just got everything in the size I want. :(

Pete Paxton
04-10-2006, 05:20 AM
I agree. Gotta have my wifi. But can you imagine if this one had wifi and miniSD? I'd be droooooooooling! And hey, I saw a pic of the Tmobile MDA IV (the one that looks like the Jasjar. I have Tmo, where can I get a Tmo version one of those?

xultar
04-10-2006, 12:14 PM
I'm sorry folks. I think the phone is FUGLY and the micro SD is a no sell.

I don't see what you see in this handset. IF the entire outer display was actually round it would have been spectacular but a little square in the round display doesn't fly.

Personally I think the whole thing is ugly.

Now, the HTC Muse? That is what I'm holding my breath for. I just hope it actually makes it to the states though I doubt it will.

MitchellO
04-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Now, the HTC Muse? That is what I'm holding my breath for. I just hope it actually makes it to the states though I doubt it will.

The HTC Muse? Now that is one ugly phone.

The only real change I would want to make to the Star Trek is a larger internal screen.

Ryan Joseph
04-10-2006, 02:41 PM
I don't particularly like it either, to be honest. I mean, it's cool and all...and the thin formfactor is really sweet. But...I won't be getting one.

But then, I can't stand flip phones in general, so... :wink:

egads
04-10-2006, 04:49 PM

I don't see what you see in this handset. IF the entire outer display was actually round it would have been spectacular but a little square in the round display doesn't fly.

Yea, I'm sort a with you. But it's the 1st WM flip phone to make it out in a long time and I'm liking it just because of that. The square screen in a circle opening did bug me also, and I hate the keypad. Just put some nice normal number keys on and forget about looking like a razor...

Jerry Raia
04-10-2006, 10:43 PM

I have to agree. The keypad is particularly offensive looking as well.

Kris Kumar
04-11-2006, 03:23 AM
As far as the looks go, I think the photos are not doing any justice to the device. Let the master photographer take some shots; send a review unit to my home. :mrgreen: :lol: The brushed metal look on the keypad and the carbon fiber look is not easy to photograph.

The circular cover for the external display I agree looks a bit odd. Would have preferred square and it would have made it look bold.

When it comes to styling, I wish the glossy cover over the main display was not that glossy and had some kind of anti-glare screen. The shiny surface I am sure will annoy me. And the anti-glare screen protectors don't work too well with the QVGA resolution screens.

shindullin
04-12-2006, 12:17 AM
I would get any phone branded StarTrek or Triquarter in a hot second. Too bad the actually released phone will not be bearing that type of designation. On the other hand. It's a MUCH better MUCH more funtional phone than the rezor it's competing with. It's the same type of style and feel as the razor but more powerful. I don't think that most of us are in the demographic that this phone is trying to reach. It's gonna make a TON of money if the marketing and price points are correct.

MitchellO
04-12-2006, 12:34 AM
I would get any phone branded StarTrek or Triquarter in a hot second. Too bad the actually released phone will not be bearing that type of designation.

Lol, I have to admit that is part of the reason I want one. :D

jfreiman
04-16-2006, 07:43 PM

I want a Multimedia Phone and while I really like the looks of the Star Trek, I've never been into Flip Phones and want the multimedia funcitions of the Muse.

I wonder how many version of the Muse will be made before they release that one! ;-)